HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 4:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
That section of Mclaughlin wasn't owned by a rich Ontarian who could benefit... I mean... That section of Mclaughlin didn't have enough "green space".
Look at the bright side - the MHS student body gets to commune on a daily basis with all our forest friends like moose, deer ticks and coyotes, and can go on orienteering exercises right from the front door of the school - it's just so damned convenient........

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The base of a tower crane has been installed for this apartment complex currently under construction just off of, and to the west of Harrisville Blvd between the TCH and Shediac Road.

These buildings aren't really big enough to warrant a tower crane, but I suppose if they are built sequentially (which is the plan), this would allow the whole complex to be built without having to dismantle and move other smaller cranes around the construction site.

In any event, this will bring Moncton's allotment of active tower cranes back up to six, with more on the horizon...........

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Photo of the immense new K-8 francophone school currently under construction off of McLaughlin (found on MLA Greg Turner's Facebook page)

On his post, Greg Turner also let it slip that the construction of the new anglophone K-8 school in the west end to replace Bessborough and Hillcrest will commence next year (2022).

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 4, 2021 at 12:37 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 12:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The base of a tower crane has been installed for this apartment complex currently under construction just off of, and to the west of Harrisville Blvd between the TCH and Shediac Road.

These buildings aren't really big enough to warrant a tower crane, but I suppose if they are built sequentially (which is the plan), this would allow the whole complex to be built without having to dismantle and move other smaller cranes around the construction site.

In any event, this will bring Moncton's allotment of active tower cranes back up to six, with more on the horizon...........
I think this tower crane is going up today. There is a large mobile crane on site, and it is parked next to the tower crane components.

This tower crane should be easily visible by passing traffic on the TCH. The mobile crane certainly is.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Photo of the immense new K-8 francophone school currently under construction off of McLaughlin (found on MLA Greg Turner's Facebook page)

On his post, Greg Turner also let it slip that the construction of the new anglophone K-8 school in the west end to replace Bessborough and Hillcrest will commence next year (2022).
This is a great location for a school. It’s not suitable for one however if it will be for English speaking teenagers.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
This is a great location for a school. It’s not suitable for one however if it will be for English speaking teenagers.
All that vacant land near the downtown core and they still won't put a school anywhere near there (regardless of language). They have no problem sending kids way into the wilderness though!

To me what's even crazier is that despite Moncton being by far the biggest and fastest-growing city in the province, anyone who wants a public university education (in English at least) is still being forced to leave the region. Works out great for Fredericton though!

Not sure why some people spin this into a language issue. To me it's a clear NB vs Moncton issue, and if the anglophone community actually mobilized and organized demos/protests they would have overwhlming support and solidarity from the local francophone community.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 5:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSquared View Post
Not sure why some people spin this into a language issue. To me it's a clear NB vs Moncton issue, and if the anglophone community actually mobilized and organized demos/protests they would have overwhlming support and solidarity from the local francophone community.
That's good to hear.

In some ways, I think you are correct, and that "traditional" New Brunswick (the old Loyalist part), including Saint John and Fredericton don't know quite what to make of Moncton and the northern part of the province.

I agree that it's high time that Moncton got a proper campus of UNB. If you look at the numbers, just the anglophone population of the Moncton CMA exceeds 100,000. I dare you to find another (anglophone) population centre of this size in the entire country that does not have a university.

And, no, Mount Allison and Crandall don't cut it in terms of supporting greater Moncton. Crandall's mandate as a Christian university isn't broad or inclusive enough, and Mount Allison is just a little too far out of town (especially in the wintertime with treacherous roads).

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 7:28 PM

Quote:
That's good to hear.

In some ways, I think you are correct, and that "traditional" New Brunswick (the old Loyalist part), including Saint John and Fredericton don't know quite what to make of Moncton and the northern part of the province.

I agree that it's high time that Moncton got a proper campus of UNB. If you look at the numbers, just the anglophone population of the Moncton CMA exceeds 100,000. I dare you to find another (anglophone) population centre of this size in the entire country that does not have a university.

And, no, Mount Allison and Crandall don't cut it in terms of supporting greater Moncton. Crandall's mandate as a Christian university isn't broad or inclusive enough, and Mount Allison is just a little too far out of town (especially in the wintertime with treacherous roads).
As with many things in NB, this is a result of our spread out population. I'm not sure that we have the critical mass to support another UNB campus (effectively having four English-language universities for a population of 800k). It also results in spreading UNB's resources even thinner, and there would need to be a differentiator to attract people from outside of the three largest urban centres to choose it over the Fredericton or SJ campuses.

If anything perhaps it would make sense to establish some sort of polytechnic institution in the Moncton area.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 8:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I think this tower crane is going up today. There is a large mobile crane on site, and it is parked next to the tower crane components.

This tower crane should be easily visible by passing traffic on the TCH. The mobile crane certainly is.
The tower crane is now up and running.

So, the current number and location of proper tower cranes in Moncton is now:

- Moncton Downtown - 3
- Moncton Northwest - 2
- Moncton East - 1

Total - 6

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 10:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The new eastbound on/off ramps to the Moncton East Business Park off of the TCH opened this evening.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 4, 2021 at 11:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 6:41 PM

Quote:
The tower crane is now up and running.

So, the current number and location of proper tower cranes in Moncton is now:

- Moncton Downtown - 3
- Moncton Northwest - 2
- Moncton East - 1

Total - 6
What upcoming projects will need one? There are several downtown projects that should ensure downtown has a tower crane in it for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 7:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
What upcoming projects will need one? There are several downtown projects that should ensure downtown has a tower crane in it for the foreseeable future.
Certainly St. Bernard Square will need a tower crane, as well as The Current in Riverview. Ashford's upcoming project on Lorentz will likely need one, and probably The Tides in Riverview (although I find it mightily peculiar that they haven't put up a crane yet).

So, that could be potentially 10 cranes, but at the same time, cranes on some current projects will get dismantled and moved around. For example, Tannery Place North will likely lose it's crane by the spring (although they may keep the components for their next project - Junction Hall).

I would think the crane count in the city will stay pretty stable in the 6-8 range for the next few years. It is conceivable that the count could rise to 10, but not certain.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Certainly St. Bernard Square will need a tower crane, as well as The Current in Riverview. Ashford's upcoming project on Lorentz will likely need one, and probably The Tides in Riverview (although I find it mightily peculiar that they haven't put up a crane yet).

So, that could be potentially 10 cranes, but at the same time, cranes on some current projects will get dismantled and moved around. For example, Tannery Place North will likely lose it's crane by the spring (although they may keep the components for their next project - Junction Hall).

I would think the crane count in the city will stay pretty stable in the 6-8 range for the next few years. It is conceivable that the count could rise to 10, but not certain.
I was trying to think of some more throughout the day and have some that may have been missed. The group of 3 six storey units on Mountian Road in the north end will likely need one as well as the development on Twin Oaks Drive. Promenade Neuf phase 2 will also likely need one.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 11:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I was trying to think of some more throughout the day and have some that may have been missed. The group of 3 six storey units on Mountian Road in the north end will likely need one as well as the development on Twin Oaks Drive. Promenade Neuf phase 2 will also likely need one.
The first two instances you mentioned are both multiple residential building complexes, both approved, with the Mountain Road complex supposed to start next year, and the Twin Oaks complex already under construction. The buildings in both complexes will average six storeys, so, yes, they will both need tower cranes.

There are two other similar multi-building complexes in the offing, one on Dieppe Blvd (near Nathalie), and the other on Millennium Blvd. These will also require tower cranes, but their start dates are not known.

Promenade Neuf (phase 2) still remains somewhat theoretical. Intentions have been announced, but AFAIK, there have been no presentations to Dieppe PAC, there are no renders available, and land clearing has not yet occurred. This project may still be several years off.

While multiple tower cranes will be necessary, they need will be spread over at least 6-8 years or so, so the number of tower cranes on the horizon at any one time may not exceed 7-8 or so. Only time will tell.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 2:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I gather than the new target opening date for Mezza in McLaughlin Place is the third week of November. This seems like the latest twist in an interminable Norse saga, but they honestly now appear close, awaiting only signage and maybe a few interior finishes. I believe them this time.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 2:08 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The signage for Mezza at McLaughlin Place has finally been installed. I may try and snap a photo tomorrow.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 3:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

As promised:

This will be the first of a veritable panoply (of at least three and possibly four) Mezza Lebanese Kitchens in the metro Moncton area.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 14, 2021 at 4:39 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 1:40 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

A source has just informed me the opening date will be November 27th.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 3:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Opening at 6 PM apparently.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 4:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

City council is meeting this afternoon to discuss (amongst other things) creating a development charge area in the vicinity of Marriott Drive:

The purposes of this would be to recoup the costs of infrastructure enhancement necessary for this development to proceed from the development company.

The proposed development would include:

- 59 single storey townhomes
- 37 split level townhomes
- 24 two level townhomes
- 8 apartment buildings ranging from 24-60 units each.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces