HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 9:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

when you have a gun collection, does one need to grind an axe?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I don't think it would be feasible to move the big rides, but some could be moved. Some of the water slides from Wally World were moved to East Park in London.
Oh sure, individual rides have been moved, but I was talking about moving an entire park the size of Wonderland. I'm going to go ahead and conclude that it's never been done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The quite literal definition of Laurentian Elite is someone from Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal, or the areas therein.

But if you want to gatekeep that status to just Ottawa and Montreal I can't stop you.
You can call Toronto Laurentian if I get to call Kelowna a prairie town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I had never heard of that theme park Acajack posted in France. I have to admit I was fascinated by it once I watched the video. It's kind of like a Renaissance Fair on steroids. It would be nice to have something like that in southern Ontario or Quebec.
To showcase life in Ontario during the Renaissance?

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 9:43 PM

INTERMISSION:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
There's a Toronto sub-forum for city-specific shit like this and the other threads created the last couple days.
Wonderland isn't specific to just Toronto though. An argument can be made that it belongs in the Ontario sub forum, aaand now I don't even know why I'm responding, because nobody cares really where this discussion sits, and a good convo is happening about land, good ole Much Music and theme parks in general.

Carry on

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 9:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
when you have a gun collection, does one need to grind an axe?
well, sort of. while shooting down trees into firewood size is possible, using an axe is much cheaper!

really though, when the germans invented the firesaw, both became obsolete for the purpose. cuts your firewood and lights it at the same time!

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 9:48 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
You can call Toronto Laurentian if I get to call Kelowna a prairie town.
Will remember this the next time someone moans about being labelled a Prairie Elite.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 9:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The quite literal definition of Laurentian Elite is someone from Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal, or the areas therein.

But if you want to gatekeep that status to just Ottawa and Montreal I can't stop you.
Oh, I am definitely aware of the term's definition. I might even be part of the demographic!

I just don't see "Electric Circus at Wonderland" as a specific Laurentian Elite perk when you consider its target demographic.

More like a perk for Greater GTA teens maybe living within 75-100 of the CN Tower, who could take transit there or count on their parents to drop them off and pick them up.

More broadly enjoyed Laurentian Elite perks are stuff like political and economic power, actual passenger rail service (even if sub-par), alternating international tennis tournaments, and even stuff like the TIFF or the F1 Grand Prix. The latter being more adult pursuits than EC at Wonderland, and therefore more accessible to a wider range of people due to controlling one's own transportation and lodging options.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 9:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Will remember this the next time someone moans about being labelled a Prairie Elite.
Ça existe vraiment?

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 9:58 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ça existe vraiment?
Well everything from Thunder Bay to the Rockies is just the same anyway, right? Just fields and fields and farmers and stuff.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 10:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post
I consider anything and everything within the TO<>OTT<>MTL triad to be 'laurentian'
think of it as my way of treating old stock anglos and francos equaly!

I don't doubt the wonderland party is fun, certainly better than the old rock&rides at the WEM park (indoor events can never truly compete)

I just found the notion that this would be a huge draw to people in remote areas amusing as the 'why travel to TO when disney exists' argument had just been made, and in the case of outdoor techno events, disney already exists in canada, and in a pretty remote place...
As a vacation destination? Sure, stuff like Disney and Universal blow anything in Canada out of the water.

I was talking about living in a place where as I said before, you could take transit with your friends to go to that type of show, or have your parents easily drive you there.

And I'd say for a kid in Kapuskasing or Thompson, moving to the GTA is a far more likely scenario than moving to LA or Orlando.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 10:16 PM

If someone is a roller coaster enthusiast than Wonderland is actually more of a destination than Disney. CW has more, taller and faster coasters than Disneyworld does. They're not even the same kind of amusement park really. In the roller coaster world, Cedar Point is the grand daddy of them all. Disney isn't even on the radar.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 7:41 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think you are misunderstanding me, I'm not lamenting it, just observing the change that has occurred. I never cared for MuchMusic and have probably watched no more than a few hours of it over the span of my entire lifetime.
Walked by the old MuchMusic building today - of the four Crave shows advertised on its exterior, two of them were Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Friends. Definitely targeting a specific demographic.

I think the other two were Big Bang Theory and...Crash? Blah.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada