HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Are you talking about this article?

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/down...elopments-2020

Surrey is really picking up the pace, and honestly, when these current approvals start getting under construction, Surrey is going to make a lot of SSP members blush. That's also not taking into account the Expo line extension into Langley, and the anticipated TOD that will be taking place along the Expo extension.
Sweet!
I wonder if Surrey will ever be home to Western Canada's tallest tower?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Sweet!
I would say maybe, but currently Burnaby is the only one with a real shot at it (with the current Lougheed Town Centre early stage proposal at around 265m)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Sweet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I would say maybe, but currently Burnaby is the only one with a real shot at it (with the current Lougheed Town Centre early stage proposal at around 265m)
In the next 5 years, I think it will indeed go to Burnaby as Metro-One has already mentioned. But beyond 5 years in the future, I think that Surrey will certainly serve as a top contender for the construction of BC's tallest towers if Vancouver doesn't get its head out of its ass (and there's a whole other discussion on city policies in the Vancouver forums that I don't want to get into here lol). Especially with the reimagining of the Surrey Central area, as time moves on, Surrey will continue to have a lot of things going for it that may warrant BC's next tallest.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 3:38 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Regardless of how many towers Surrey builds, I would imagine Burnaby would still have the higher land values and more robust high-end market that are prerequisites for a supertall (or something approaching that), no?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 3:54 AM

For the next 5 to 10 years, I say that will hold true, but Surrey this last year has really turned a corner and is bursting with projects at all stages now and is starting to catch up fast.

Unfortunately Surrey seems to get absolutely no love / attention on this forum outside of the Vancouver local so I think most on the Canadian section have no idea just how much is occurring there now.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 6:10 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
For the next 5 to 10 years, I say that will hold true, but Surrey this last year has really turned a corner and is bursting with projects at all stages now and is starting to catch up fast.

Unfortunately Surrey seems to get absolutely no love / attention on this forum outside of the Vancouver local so I think most on the Canadian section have no idea just how much is occurring there now.

What I mean by that though, is that "building a lot" doesn't necessarily translate into supertalls. Sufficient demand and the right regulatory environment is enough to build lots of multi-family dwellings, but supertalls require specific conditions like extreme land values and/or a high-end market niche for that to make it feasible (eg. Sort of like how Chicago still builds more supertalls than Toronto despite there being a lot more construction here overall).

In Surrey's case the growth seems to be driven by low cost of living moreso than any particular desirability of the place. Burnaby is more desirable and is therefore more likely to realise the market conditions that would enable a supertall. Though, the most realistic prospect for a supertall in Metro Van's foreseeable future would still be for the City to lift some height limits downtown.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
What I mean by that though, is that "building a lot" doesn't necessarily translate into supertalls. Sufficient demand and the right regulatory environment is enough to build lots of multi-family dwellings, but supertalls require specific conditions like extreme land values and/or a high-end market niche for that to make it feasible (eg. Sort of like how Chicago still builds more supertalls than Toronto despite there being a lot more construction here overall).
We're talking about Metro Vancouver's next tallest though, not supertalls. The tallest in Vancouver right now is only 201m. IIRC, Gilmore Place in Burnaby, is slightly proposed taller only at 214.8m. And Concord Metro town is proposed at 230.1m.

The city of Vancouver itself has got one of the most extreme high-end markets in North America so you would think that that specific factor would be springing up taller towers left and right but there are plenty of city policies that affect the construction of taller towers (and I really don't want to get into it on here as it would be way to off-topic lmao).

Quote:
In Surrey's case the growth seems to be driven by low cost of living moreso than any particular desirability of the place.
True but also it's changing drastically. Downtown Surrey is becoming the new condo-land. Condos in Surrey are still expensive compared to other parts of Canada, and SFH's are certainly going up in value as well. These prices are starting to become comparable to the city of Vancouver. And Burnaby is already pretty much on par with the city of Vancouver (COV) when it comes to prices vs. value. The lower costs also spillover into employers seeking infrastructure to develop onto as well.

Quote:
Burnaby is more desirable and is therefore more likely to realise the market conditions that would enable a supertall. Though, the most realistic prospect for a supertall in Metro Van's foreseeable future would still be for the City to lift some height limits downtown.
Burnaby is a bedroom community for the city of Vancouver and there is nothing wrong with that. Even with Burnaby's recent influx of development, Surrey still has double the population of Burnaby. And Surrey is projected to overtake Vancouver in population in the future.

Burnaby has a lot of great benefits including excellent access to the metro municipalities north and south of the Fraser river, a decent amount of industrial land, and multiple town centres that are anchored by malls that were built in the '60s-'80's (which has its own set of pros and cons in of itself). But a lot of Burnaby's strengths is reliant upon the COV being out priced for regular working Vancouverites, as well as the COV retaining its status as the largest employment centre in BC. To me, Burnaby is just in a super convenient location to piggy-back off of the economic short-comings of the municipalities that surround it like Coquitlam and Vancouver.

Whereas Surrey differs and pulls ahead from Burnaby is that it kind of acts like a mini-Vancouver to the metro municipalities south of Fraser as it hosts a large amount of employment opportunities in of itself. With the Expo line extension into Langley, it is going to better connect the municipalities South of Fraser (SOF) to Surrey while re-activating and up-zoning some of Surrey's town centres like Fleetwood and (hopefully) Clayton/Cloverdale. I can never seem to find the link but most transit trips made SOF have Surrey as their final destination (with the COV in second). My point here is that Surrey behaves more independently (economically-wise) from Vancouver and that it behaves as an economic destination whereas Burnaby behaves like a bedroom community that folks from Coquitlam and Surrey pass through to get to the COV.

Changing City in another thread was able to pull some office numbers to compare with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Office space under construction:
Surrey Centre 312,179 SF,
Metro Core 4,313,000SF (17 projects)

Office space approved:
Surrey Centre 1,171,996 SF,
Metro Core 2,624,000 SF (14 projects)

Office space proposed:
Surrey Centre 2,233,205 SF,
Metro Core 2,852,000 SF (8 schemes).
I don't think that he was able to get the exact numbers for each municipality (?) so I get that it's hard to compare to Burnaby's office developments, but he was able to get the ones for Surrey which shows that there is a lot of interest in developing office space in Surrey. Plus we have the federal government interested in developing an HQ near Surrey Central, which will help to further anchor Surrey as an important municipality for the metro regions SOF. Please keep in mind that a lot of the office sq. ft. is in mixed-use towers.

Yes, in the next 3-5 years, Burnaby will have impressive projects that probably include the development of BC's next tallest. But Surrey has got so much more in the pipeline that it will catch up to Burnaby quite quickly (and even out-pace Burnaby) and Surrey is going to have a more diverse economic framework to develop its skylines better than Burnaby if it chooses to do so. And I honestly do believe that Surrey is going to have all of the stars aligned to develop BC's next set of tallest towers due to all of the economic factors I listed above, along with the COV's reluctance to build taller. The next set of BC's tallest towers will also come in the form of an office/residential mix as well. But we'll see.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Last edited by scryer; Jan 5, 2021 at 4:19 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 8:12 PM
Ocean Breeze

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 5:29 PM
ハルウララ

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 6:30 PM

Just sharing some of mcminsen's photos:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Gilmore/Brentwood as seen from Rupert Station.

Jan.22 '21, my pics

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 7:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

wow that area has really taken off since I last lived in Vancouver. Unrecognizable.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 7:16 PM
ハルウララ

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 11:33 PM
Reason and Freedom

Last edited by Prometheus; Jan 26, 2021 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 11:51 PM
ハルウララ

Mississauga

via airbazoo on Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/airbazoo/?hl=en

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 1:16 AM

Those Vancouver shots are lovely

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:05 AM

And those Vancity pics are over 2 years old more towers there now.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 2:38 PM

Awesome Mississauga pics courtesy of Jasonzed skyscrapercity

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 8:51 PM

Burlington, ON

Last edited by 905er; Feb 2, 2021 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:09 PM

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 9:28 PM
Dérive-r

Thought I'd share a somewhat recent photo (Nov 2020) of the rarely seen but growing White Rock skyline, taken by a Greg Bartell. For those not intimately familiar with Metro Vancouver, White Rock is a geographically small but dense municipality of about 20,000 residents adjacent to the US border - this photo would have been taken from the US side of Semiahmoo Bay, near Blaine, Washington.

White Rock, BC-09437 by Greg Bartell, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada