HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 8:46 PM

The public comment site is already closed so I'm just going off what the article said, but that sounds fine to me. A high amount of severe collisions and fatalities on rural highways are speed related at intersections, and a traffic signal isn't as good at slowing people down as a roundabout. The chance of severe collisions will go down a lot with these in place.

I imagine the long term plan is to replace the roundabouts with interchanges when traffic volumes actually need that level of construction.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
The public comment site is already closed so I'm just going off what the article said, but that sounds fine to me. A high amount of severe collisions and fatalities on rural highways are speed related at intersections, and a traffic signal isn't as good at slowing people down as a roundabout. The chance of severe collisions will go down a lot with these in place.

I imagine the long term plan is to replace the roundabouts with interchanges when traffic volumes actually need that level of construction.
Roundabouts, The traffic really is not that bad and can easily handle that flow.

As it is, it would be cheaper to do more passing lanes than twinning it.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
As it is, it would be cheaper to do more passing lanes than twinning it.
Passing lanes are a stop gap more than a decent long-term solution. If the terrain is decent the goal should be twin the road when widening rather than just adding a passing lane.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 9:35 PM

I drive the 11 pretty frequently, including this morning, and it surprises me that the road is a priority for spending.

And while I live roundabouts in many circumstances, they are a bit of a questionable choice here. Since they must be a bit more expensive and harder to upgrade than a regular interchange, it implies that the province sees there being no need to upgrade them for the foreseeable future. Which begs the question why the road needs twinning.

Similar strange choices on the new 43x by GP.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 11:20 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Can it be that UCP believes that twinning the 11 thus far will make another B.C.-AB crossing more appealing?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 11:39 PM

The UCP do not have any future vision, except perhaps to make Alberta more like it was in the 90s or thereabouts, the good old days. If there was any grand plan to do something like that, we'd know about it because it would take longer than the term of this government and the cooperation of BC, Parks Canada, the Federal Government etc.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I drive the 11 pretty frequently, including this morning, and it surprises me that the road is a priority for spending.

And while I live roundabouts in many circumstances, they are a bit of a questionable choice here. Since they must be a bit more expensive and harder to upgrade than a regular interchange, it implies that the province sees there being no need to upgrade them for the foreseeable future. Which begs the question why the road needs twinning.

Similar strange choices on the new 43x by GP.
I can see 43X, the amount of truck traffic going through GP is quite high. Plus the route is a quicker line past GP.

There are so many more roads that need upgrading before 11.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 3:40 PM

Quote:
I can see 43X, the amount of truck traffic going through GP is quite high. Plus the route is a quicker line past GP.

There are so many more roads that need upgrading before 11.
I agree 43x was a necessary, important road. I just find the design a bit odd. It has a roundabout which looks pretty permanent, keeps a bunch of access roads with at grade intersections, and the interchange at the south end is half built and sub par, with an incorrect left hand offramp going south.

It all works fine with the amount of traffic on it, but for a brand new road it's a hodge podge. Some of the design implies that higher capacity will be necessary in the future, while other parts commit to not upgrading in a foreseeable timescale.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 4:20 AM

Anyone driven the new Peace River bridge yet? Heard it was opened last month to traffic... Should be quite the beauty.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 8:44 PM

So I came across this today. It appears the planning is done. Just need the budget. Also looks like a Hinton By Pass going to the south of town.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ngPlan50yr.pdf

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 8:57 PM

There are plans like that publicly available for basically making every road in the province a freeway. I wouldn't put too much faith in their existence as meaning the work will get done any time soon.

We will be seeing an end to major road projects when this ring road is complete though, so maybe something large will follow to keep the building rolling.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 8:16 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
So I came across this today. It appears the planning is done. Just need the budget. Also looks like a Hinton By Pass going to the south of town.

Does this complete twinning right up to the Jasper gate then ?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 8:19 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Does this complete twinning right up to the Jasper gate then ?
I think so. It looks like it.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 5:51 PM

Quote:

That's a 50 year plan and the drawings were made in 2014 for the planning study. So maybe when I'm 80, I'll be able to drive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
We will be seeing an end to major road projects when this ring road is complete though, so maybe something large will follow to keep the building rolling.
Said the same thing a few years ago. Perhaps when Stoney is done, we might see large scale projects in more rural areas. Hopefully.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 1:55 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
Said the same thing a few years ago. Perhaps when Stoney is done, we might see large scale projects in more rural areas. Hopefully.
Any particular rural projects you had in mind ?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 2:31 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Highway 11, Crowsnest Highway, etc.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 2:38 AM

Large scale projects and rural areas are basically incompatible. Rural means there's not many people there, and if there are not many people there then they don't need large projects.

There are lots of people in the cities though and that's why they get large projects. But still, it is likely the rural areas get more road building per capita than urban areas do. The extent of paved roadway in this province is enormous.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 5:46 AM

Upgrading 1, 2 and 16 to freeway standards would seem logical.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 1:36 PM

Getting rid of at grade intersections on Hwy 2 would be a great start.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Any particular rural projects you had in mind ?
Howse Pass baby!!!!

In all seriousness, they can start working on the overdue stack of shovel ready projects sitting on someones desk for Central AB.
Are going insane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia