HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 6:33 PM

From a book called 'Azusa Pacific University' by Ken Otto:
The Training School for Christian Workers started with an initial meeting of ministers and laypersons at the home of Philena B[urdg] Hadley [on Bright Avenue] in Whittier, California, on March 3, 1899. The first president, Mary A. Hill, arrived from Ohio on February 24, 1900, at which point classes could begin. The Training School had several locations. First situated at the Hadley home in Whittier, the institution then moved a couple of blocks to a barn-like place owned by a Mr. Briggs. The school traveled to Boyle Heights, then to Los Angeles, and then to Huntington Park. From 1899 to 1939, it was served by 12 different presidents.
The book has a whole chapter on the Training School. The location on e_r's postcard even makes the cover.

Both from books.google.com

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Thanks for your personal recollections of 3424 Wilshire Boulevard, lemster2024.

--------------------

Today's Julius Shulman post features the same architects and same street as the IBM building. We've seen the Signal Oil and Gas Company Building before, but not in this much detail. This is "Job 3362: Charles Luckman Associates, Signal Oil and Gas Company Building (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1962".

I've said this before, but it makes my research so much easier when the address is on the building. In this case, 1010 Wilshire Boulevard.

Here's the back of the building.

An angled view. NB. I've omitted a similar but darker shot.

And the obligatory arty shot to finish.

All from Getty Research Institute

Just a quick reminder - you can see the Signal Oil and Gas Company Building fully illuminated in a 1967 Julius Shulman image I posted in post #32200.

Now complete with rooftop swimming pool, the building has been transformed into TenTen Wilshire. I think I prefer the original design.

GSV

If, like me, you were wondering about the identity of the lost Art Deco building on the corner of St Paul Avenue, it was the 1936 Claude Beelman designed Woodbury College at 1027 Wilshire. The college moved out in 1987, and the building was demolished soon afterwards (there appears to be a demo permit dated 1989, but it's not available to view online). The destruction of the former college building seems rather ironic considering they added architecture as a major in 1984! Woodbury College has been mentioned a couple of times before on NLA, but I think this wonderful night shot is new to the thread.

USC Digital Library
re: the corner of Wilshire and St. Paul. I have been wondering for at least a year what was on that corner. They left strange remnants of the building when they tore it down and it is now a parking lot that we call "The Ruins Parking Lot" I go past it every day and wonder about it. Thanks for solving the mystery!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 7:35 PM

Thanks for your information on the telephone/intercom in the DWP building, CityBoyDoug.

-------------------

Today's Julius Shulman post concerns the Los Angeles Theatre Center at 514 S Spring Street. It was originally built as a bank, but after that, I didn't find much (admittedly, I haven't had a lot of time to look). The History & Background page at thelatc.org only goes back as far as 2006. This is "Job 6434: John S. Fisher, Los Angeles Theatre Center (Calif.),1986".

I'm hoping that we can find some pictures of when it was a bank.

There's something about the stairs, lights and hand rails in this shot that reminds me of an ocean liner.

The rest of the pictures show the performance areas, which I assume are located in the newer section of the building.

I struggled to get a decent GSV image, but the buildings look essentially the same as the first shot with the addition of a large banner.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 8:36 PM

Hoss, I found the following vintage images of the bank from a "Yoga at LATC" yelp page.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/yoga-at-the-latc-los-angeles

-sorry they aren't any clearer. I'm sure there are more (and better) photographs in some archive. I'll look further.
__

Thanks for the follow-up on the Azusa Pacific University. I see it was originally located at 111 So.Figueroa. Let's try and find a photograph of that location.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 9:28 PM

Thanks for the bank pictures, e_r.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Thanks for the follow-up on the Azusa Pacific University. I see it was originally located at 111 So.Figueroa. Let's try and find a photograph of that location.
Also from 'Azusa Pacific University' by Ken Otto, the Training School for Christian Workers at 111 S Figueroa:

books.google.com

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 9:57 PM

-very interesting, I wasn't expecting an apartment building (55 rooms in this case) I was expecting more of a communal, school-like building.

-thanks for the pic. Hoss.

I found this aerial photograph on an old cd file of construction sites in and around L.A.

It doesn't look like it was all that long ago. -note the large 'tube' at lower left, could this be subway construction?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 8, 2016 at 10:08 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 10:27 PM

MacArthur Park looking south-east.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 10:54 PM

Oh I see...that's the lake drained! That's pretty cool.

I didn't realize until now that the subway ran directly below the lake.

google_earth

I should have put two-and-two together, considering the placement of the Westlake/MacArthur Park Metro station.

(I always assumed subways ran beneath the surface streets......you know, so they don't have to dodge obstacles like foundations and basements and what-not )

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 8, 2016 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your information on the telephone/intercom in the DWP building, CityBoyDoug.

-------------------

Today's Julius Shulman post concerns the Los Angeles Theatre Center at 514 S Spring Street. It was originally built as a bank, but after that, I didn't find much (admittedly, I haven't had a lot of time to look). The History & Background page at thelatc.org only goes back as far as 2006. This is "Job 6434: John S. Fisher, Los Angeles Theatre Center (Calif.),1986".
I was never able to find any really good shots of this bank.
It was built in 1916 as Security National Bank, next door to its "parent institution," Security Trust & Savings Bank. ST&S (aka Security Bank) merged with Guarantee Trust & Savings in 1921 and consolidated with First National Bank- then known as Los Angeles-First NationalTrus & Savings Bank in Feb 1929to become Security-First National Bank of Los Angeles and survived the crash. John Parkinson was architect. (Parkinson & Bergstrom built the parent bank next door in 1906 at 5th & Spring).

1916 drawing
LAT 2-20-1916

lapl

Glimpse of it in 1945
lapl

Another glimpse from across the street. Love the drawn in city hall.
lapl.

A 1929 $50 bill issued by Security-First National Bank of Los Angeles
ebay.

Last edited by Noircitydame; Apr 9, 2016 at 12:28 AM. Reason: to add link

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Here's an enigmatic.....and spooky photograph.

http://www.amazon.com/early-Angeles-...ge+photographs

Mary S. Ertl M.D. Tourmaline

Last night I came across this excellent photograph of L.A.'s first female doctor Mary S. Ertl M.D.
[the seller is asking $350.00]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1910s-Dr-Mar...3D301872354049

Here's the seller's description:

"Extremely RARE original photo of the first female doctor in Los Angeles. Dr Mary Ertl is widely believed to be the first woman to serve the Los Angeles area.
This is an unpublished photo of her and family members in front of her doctors office at 4003 Carmona St."

But if you look closely, the street number on the front of the bungalow is not 4003.

detail

Anyone feel like trying to solve this 'mystery'?

__

*Mary's original monument (shown at the top of the post), was damaged (more like decapitated) in the 1920 earthquake, and is now inside this mausoleum at Forest Lawn.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/2...-graves-6.html

See...there she is inside, all repaired!

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...hoto/564021199
__

*but there's another monument in Inglewood Park Cemetery.

http://www.inglewoodparkcemetery.com...arts/ertl.html

"This monument replaced an earlier one that was damaged in the earthquake of June 21, 1920.
The original was removed and repaired, and is now housed inside Dr. Ertl's private mausoleum
at Forest Lawn, Glendale."

"There is some debate on which one actually holds her remains." -eBay seller.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 9, 2016 at 1:02 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks for identifying the license plate in yesterday's post, MichaelRyerson.

------------------

Today's Julius Shulman photoset needs no introduction, but it does deserve a title. This is "Job 3883: Los Angeles (Calif.) Dept. of Water and Power, 1965".

I'm not sure what this room was used for. The chairs with desks make it look like a lecture hall, but there's nowhere to teach from. On the other hand, the counter at the front could mean it's waiting room, but then why would the chairs need desks, and why would they be so far apart?

Being a bureaucrat myself, if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's some kind of exam room for job candidates. The high desk would be where the exam staff sit to monitor the process. Even in the mid-60's, DWP was huge and processed a lot of applicants. Plus you need special technical certifications in both the potable water and electrical trades, so an in-house test facility would make sense.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 4:29 AM

Quote:
I thought you might like this.

http://www.ebay.it/itm/720-RAILROAD-...-/171305700671

"noiseless and smokeless" -really, why the smokestacks then?

Despite being over 3,000 miles from L.A., here's a 'noirish-looking' photograph of the H.K. Porter Co. building in downtown Pittsburgh, 1953.

http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelte...000tXhQ09JLamg

Thanks for all the information Wig-Wag. It's much appreciated.

__
ER, Thanks for the catalog cover and the Porter building photo!

The term smokeless locomotive actually refers to what is more commonly known as a "Fireless" locomotive. These locomotives were used where the fire of a conventional locomotive might prove hazardous - munitions plants, creosote plants, etc., or by facilities wanting to maintain a smokeless environment such as large hospitals, or packing plants. The "fireless" boiler was actually a reservoir that was filled with steam from the steam plant or air compressors at the facility. The engine would perform its chores until it ran low on steam, at which time it would return to be refilled.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireless_locomotive

If I recall correctly a friend of mine has a Porter builders list. When he returns from his current travels I may, just for giggles, see if I can find the construction number and build dates of the two CVR locomotives.

Cheers,
Jack

Last edited by Wig-Wag; Apr 9, 2016 at 4:46 AM. Reason: Correct spelling

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 5:22 AM

This set of tracks veering north are missing in the vintage slide (my top photo). Does anyone have an explanation?

IIRC, LATL built a short-turn loop for the V Line at 1st & Vermont after the H Line was abandoned. This was necessitated at least in part by temporary truncation of the V Line from August 1948 to January 1950 to allow construction of the Hollywood Freeway. This loop is the location of the Chop House so beloved in these pages.

what do you mean by, it spanned an 'oil spur' of the Cahuenga Valley Railroad? Didn't it span Bimini Slough?

It spanned Sacatela Creek and the oil spur, which might've been abandoned by the time of the photo, or it might have been too far east to have been included in the frame.

Also e-r, please allow me to echo Wig-Wag's thanks for the Porter items you've brought over. To extend his comments a bit, the boxy-looking vehicle in the lower-right corner of their promotional illustration was called a "steam dummy"; it was designed with "camouflage" to avoid scaring horses. Even in those days, newfangled technology had its drawbacks.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:

I should have put two-and-two together, considering the placement of the Westlake/MacArthur Park Metro station.

(I always assumed subways ran beneath the surface streets......you know, so they don't have to dodge obstacles like foundations and basements and what-not )
WARNING: Off topic .

The world's first underground railway, the London Underground, did often follow streets in the early days because people didn't want the tunnels going under their buildings. Tunnels were often constructed using the cut-and-cover method until technology improved and the tunnels could be buried deeper.

Following streets did cause problems, most notably at the short-lived King William Street Station. The trains had to go under the river, up a steep grade, and then negotiate a tight 90 degree turn under Arthur Street to enter the small station. There are stories of packed trains having to reverse and have a second try at getting up the hill!

The world's first tunnel successfully constructed under a navigable river, the Thames Tunnel, is also in London, and is now part of the transport network. It was completed over 170 years ago, so the builders of the subway under MacArthur Park must've had another reason for draining the lake.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Last night I came across this excellent photograph of L.A.'s first female doctor Mary S. Ertl M.D.

Here's the seller's description:

"Extremely RARE original photo of the first female doctor in Los Angeles. Dr Mary Ertl is widely believed to be the first woman to serve the Los Angeles area.
This is an unpublished photo of her and family members in front of her doctors office at 4003 Carmona St."

But if you look closely, the street number on the front of the bungalow is not 4003.

detail

Anyone feel like trying to solve this 'mystery'?
I found a single instance of Mary Ertl being listed at 1195 E 40th Street in the 1911 CD. That seems to fit number seen above.

LAPL

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 3:26 PM

Good sleuthing Hoss.

I'm surprised by the lack of information on Dr. Ertl available on the internet.

I found only one other photograph.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&PIpi=12030472

Myra Coep Ettien, Dr. Mary S. Reichert Ertl, Joseph Ertl Mary's grand neices & nephews.

This appears to have have been taken at the 1195 E. 40th St. address.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 9, 2016 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 4:33 PM

A few days ago I happened onto this 1956 slide of the parking lot at Chinatown.

eBay (it's gone already)

-any idea what the modern-looking business with the bright yellow round sign is across the street? I've never noticed it before.

Here's an earlier parking lot photograph I posted back at the beginning of February.

Quote:
A 1940s Kodachrome slide of the parking lot at the new Chinatown [1940s]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orig-1940s-3...4AAOSwKtlWpTDP

I haven't noticed that unsightly utility pole in other photographs. What's it for?
postscript: We decided the mystery pole was probably left over from an air raid siren during WWII.
__

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 5:35 PM

Thanks for the explanation of 'fireless' locomotives Jack. I had no idea such a thing existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig-Wag View Post
If I recall correctly a friend of mine has a Porter builders list. When he returns from his current travels I may, just for giggles,
see if I can find the construction number and build dates of the two CVR locomotives.
That would b great.

I've been wondering, did they assemble the locomotives once they were transported to California, or were they shipped as a whole?

Or did they drive them (the locomotives) to California from Penn??
__

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 5:53 PM

detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
The boxy-looking vehicle in the lower-right corner of their promotional illustration was called a "steam dummy";
it was designed with "camouflage" to avoid scaring horses. Even in those days, newfangled technology had its drawbacks.
HH, I've had the photo below for quite sometime and always wondered why the description includes "a little Dummey" R.R."

But perhaps in this case it means something entirely different, since the locomotive isn't camouflaged as you described.

old file/UC Berkeley, Bancroft Library

translation:

"A little Dummey R.R. that runs from the end of Temple St. Cable R.R. at Hoover St., to foot at East Hollywood.
The engineer was 18 years old and his brother, the fireman, 16. [1892].
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 9, 2016 at 6:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 7:05 PM

Thanks to NCD for the historical informaion on the bank at 514 S Spring Street, and to Mstimc for a very plausible explanation of the seating in the DWP building.

---------------------

Today we have the Brentwood Savings building, as photographed by Julius Shulman in 1965. It's "Job 3804: Kurt Meyer, Brentwood Savings (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1964".
NB. I've left out a few images from this set.

The only other color shot in the set was pretty much a portrait version of this one. I prefer the landscape view.

Even at full resolution, I can't make out what the sculpture on the left is supposed to be.

Here's the back of the building.

That's a very small swimming pool .

And now, the interior pictures.

I bet this view has changed a bit.

A corner office.

I assume that this last image shows the first floor.

The building, at 12011 San Vicente Boulevard, is now a branch of Comerica Bank. Trees in the median prevent me from getting a better shot, but it looks virtually unchanged. There's even still a pharmacy next door.

GSV

The water feature at the back has been filled in with a small hedge.

GSV

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos