HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Not true.

The smallest units are 03 and 04 on floors 8 to 17 and they have not sold out, all under 400. The building is only about 20% sold. You can look up the floor plans that are still available on the website www.390ontheriver.com

03 and 04 are right around 700sf,, looks like over 10 still unsold, all under 400.

06 is about 800sf and looks like only one left, so that will probably sell out before the smaller ones.
Is it possible they’re just not updating the website? He went to look as the starting was 350 and they told him they had nothing left under 400 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by buzzg; Jun 25, 2020 at 5:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 6:44 AM
surely you agree with me

Man. The developer must be taking a bath on that building. To be only 20% sold a couple years after completion is amazing. Most condos don’t even start construction until three times that many are sold.

I guess that’s why nobody does condo anymore.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Man. The developer must be taking a bath on that building. To be only 20% sold a couple years after completion is amazing. Most condos don’t even start construction until three times that many are sold.

Why wouldn't they rent out half of what's left and get something back?

It reminds me of my neighbour's house. A slumlord bought it 6 years ago off of an old lady. He then rented it out for a year. After that year he started gutting it and it has been vacant, but in a constant state of renovation ever since. I don't understand how he can forgo that much rent in the hope of a value increase from the renos.

I don't see how the owner of the Assiniboine building can think that they are going to sell a significant number of units within a one year lease term. Oh well, it's not my money.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Not true.

The smallest units are 03 and 04 on floors 8 to 17 and they have not sold out, all under 400. The building is only about 20% sold. You can look up the floor plans that are still available on the website www.390ontheriver.com

03 and 04 are right around 700sf,, looks like over 10 still unsold, all under 400.

06 is about 800sf and looks like only one left, so that will probably sell out before the smaller ones.
The marketing realtor for 390 posted on her IG yesterday that it has been a busy month, "4 Sold condos and 3 pending". @viktoriarealestate

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 4:02 PM

That's good news. I also love how instantly this thread is taken over by another project.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 4:07 PM

Do you know if the passport office is staying or moving somewhere new? If new where too?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Why wouldn't they rent out half of what's left and get something back?

It reminds me of my neighbour's house. A slumlord bought it 6 years ago off of an old lady. He then rented it out for a year. After that year he started gutting it and it has been vacant, but in a constant state of renovation ever since. I don't understand how he can forgo that much rent in the hope of a value increase from the renos.

I don't see how the owner of the Assiniboine building can think that they are going to sell a significant number of units within a one year lease term. Oh well, it's not my money.
The building is owned by the bank due to the bankruptcy of the developer. Banks are into the rental Realestate business they want to sell these units and rid this liability.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
Do you know if the passport office is staying or moving somewhere new? If new where too?
As far as we know, it’s staying. Floors 1-4 will remain commercial/office space. The federal government is a solid tenant if I were a developer I wouldn’t send them packing.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 5:06 PM

Quote:

SCU owns it. They’re comfortable sitting on it longer as they don’t pay interest to themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
As far as we know, it’s staying. Floors 1-4 will remain commercial/office space. The federal government is a solid tenant if I were a developer I wouldn’t send them packing.
Correct. Passport office is on 400 so it’s not planning on moving. Separately though the feds have been shuffling all their office space here recently so maybe down the road they try to consolidate more services in their own buildings, but this project isn’t pushing them out.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 12:04 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

That is great news!

Now, we need to get that ever so elusive grocer to set up shop in downtown. I think the more residential rental units go up, the higher the demand for one will be.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 12:52 AM

Heard some interesting stats on the Exchange today. In 2006 census there were 300 residents, in 2016 there were 2,500. Estimated at 3,000 today. That's a 10x increase in 14 years. Apparently the "tipping point" # number for an area the size of the Exchange is 5,000 residents to be able to support basic services such as a small grocer. Not too far away....

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 1:27 AM
surely you agree with me

ah, sorry. I was getting my Assiniboine buildings mixed up.

I hope SCU loses lots of money.

Last edited by trueviking; Jun 26, 2020 at 2:40 AM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 5:18 AM

The West Exchange area has had grocery stores for decades.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 1:38 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

I detect a wee bit of bitterness....I assume it is regarding a certain building in the general area of McGillivray and Kenaston? Your first love maybe.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 4:43 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I detect a wee bit of bitterness....I assume it is regarding a certain building in the general area of McGillivray and Kenaston? Your first love maybe.
Possibly SCU's choice of local prime consultant for their more recent branches that have been built..?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 9:52 PM
surely you agree with me

mostly the first one....

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I hope they don't. If they do, it might be a long, long time before someone decides to build a major downtown residential project again.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 11:29 PM
surely you agree with me

Nah. There’s lots coming.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:31 PM

Protective scaffolding is up all around the podium.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 5:37 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Nah. There’s lots coming.
Do you say that because you know the market or do you say that because you're privy to at least some percentage of the plans? Can you give even the vaguest of hints otherwise? Tall/short/conversions/new/earth shattering design like what you did Richardson or commie block-here's-your-beet stuff?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan