HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 1:50 AM
Dartmouth Girl

I was up there on Monday and it's been quite some time since I'd been up to DC... I cannot get over the landscaping that's been done to prep the area where this is going.. compared to the rest of DC... IKEA is basically going to be on top of a mountain lol

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
I was up there on Monday and it's been quite some time since I'd been up to DC... I cannot get over the landscaping that's been done to prep the area where this is going.. compared to the rest of DC... IKEA is basically going to be on top of a mountain lol
Probably on the top so the store can be seen from the highway?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 6:43 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Probably on the top so the store can be seen from the highway?
I worked out some sightlines.. you'll be able to see it going west on the circ at Portland.. It'll really stand out too.. all the blue against the colour of the exposed rock (..and eventually trees? lol) I'm sure there's going to be a lot of other places you'll be able to see it really well from, too.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 7:20 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I'm quite certain it will be visible as you head in from the 118 as well. Coming to exit 13 E/W it will be directly in a drivers view.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 11:50 AM

Looks like changes it the top at IKEA Canada.

http://www.marketingmag.ca/brands/ik...al-role-181773

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohaligo View Post
Looks like changes it the top at IKEA Canada.

http://www.marketingmag.ca/brands/ik...al-role-181773
Interesting. I wonder how this will affect the Canadian expansion plans to double the store count from 12 to 24 in ten years, if at all. We are already a year in and only Halifax has been announced/started. That's going to be a pretty aggressive construction schedule for IKEA.

Which brings me to another question. I've seen it alluded to and written in the above publication and others that these 12 will be full-size stores, in addition to the pick-up and order spots. However, I don't think I've ever seen/heard that as a direct IKEA quote. As in the articles above, the notion that these are additional stores always reads as editorial, rather than quotation, as if an assumption has been made. I've wondered if the smaller stores are being (quietly) included in this tally by IKEA Canada?

I'm still not entirely convinced one way or the other but Sjostrand said something along the lines of, and I'm paraphrasing, "doubling the store count from 12-24, expanding into new and existing markets, into new and existing formats..." -fairly ambigous.

The most telling bit I found was in the introduction letter from Sjostrand from this 2015 IKEA Canada Summary Report, in which he writes,

"We started Fiscal 2015 with 12 stores in Canada. Our goal is to expand IKEA coast-to-coast and double the number of stores by 2025. Our first stop on this journey was the announcement of two “Pick-Up and Order Points” in London, Ontario and Quebec City that will open in December 2015."

"Our first stop on this journey...", that sounds to me like the small stores are being included in the overall count. I believe there are six now either running or planned, plus the Halifax full-size store. That leaves five more locations of either format(or even a new format) to build over the next 8-9 years. Now that sounds like an attainable goal, albeit likely disappointing for many of those hoping to get a full size store soon.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 6:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

If you look at the rest of the country, there aren't any large regions left that won't be well-covered by IKEA when the new round of stores opens up. Atlantic Canada was unique as far as being a region with over 2 million people without an IKEA within even a few hours' drive.

There are still places like Vancouver Island and Saskatchewan that don't have IKEA but they have a smaller population than the Maritimes and they already have regional stores. I'm guessing they will eventually get pick-up locations, and that there may be one or two pick-up locations within Atlantic Canada (e.g. St. John's?).

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
If you look at the rest of the country, there aren't any large regions left that won't be well-covered by IKEA when the new round of stores opens up. Atlantic Canada was unique as far as being a region with over 2 million people without an IKEA within even a few hours' drive.

There are still places like Vancouver Island and Saskatchewan that don't have IKEA but they have a smaller population than the Maritimes and they already have regional stores. I'm guessing they will eventually get pick-up locations, and that there may be one or two pick-up locations within Atlantic Canada (e.g. St. John's?).
I can definitely see Saskatchewan with a full-size, in either Saskatoon or Regina (Sask is larger, Regina is the capital and more of an entertainment centre) while the other gets a pick-up, I'll leave that for them to fight out between themselves.

Not sure about Victoria. Likely a pick-up location given the surrounding population and proximity to Vancouver.

There seems to be nearly unlimited uptake capacity in Southern Ontario, many places that I'd not be surprised to see a pick-up location or full-size.

Quebec is probably well served by the pick-up in QC, two stores (including the largest) in Montreal and the full-size in Ottawa. And consider the very real possibility that over the next decade, depending on performance, that some pick-up location markets get upgraded to full-size, especially QC and London.

In the east, maybe a pick-up in Moncton or maybe one in St.John's, but maybe not. That may be too much concentration in an area with a small population and geography. There are many similar sized cities spread further across this vast country.

That list gets us in the vicinity of five more stores, but I'm just really throwing darts. As I said, I couldn't hazard a guess as to the rest of the country, places like Prince George, Kelowna, Red Deer, Brandon, Thunder Bay, etc. The distances are so far-flung in the majority of Canada, any of them could potentially have a pick-up location to you know, make IKEA more accessible to all Canadians.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 8:52 PM

If/when oil turns around I can see a second full sized store for each of Calgary and Edmonton. Vancouver has a problem with 2 stores to close together, still I can see a store in Delta. I agree with Saskatchewan and a full sized store in Saskatoon.
Ontario could see 3 full sized stores easily. London is in training with a pick up store. If that works then there could full sized store in the planning. Two more in the GTA including a downtown Toronto urban format store. They've been testing pop up locations for a while.
In Quebec, I've heard the QC store is wildly successful. They may be next on the list after Halifax.
Atlantic region .... meh the Halifax store could be used as a warehouse for a Moncton and St. John's pickup stores. I think Hali was lucky the Upper Canadians were pushed into a decision by the departing Swed. Or that store would never have happened.

There, that's is my prediction.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 11:42 PM

The Pick-up & Order points have a temporary vibe to them (old Future Shop locations etc. without much modifications to exterior).

IKEA's website kinda lays out the plan for these type of stores:

Quote:
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_CA/customer_service/faq.html

17. How big are the new Pick-up and order points?
Roughly half of the space will be dedicated to inspirational displays, planning stations and immediate take away products for our London and Quebec City locations.

London - 19,848 square feet
Quebec City - 39,554 square feet
St. Catharines - 25,133 square feet
Whitby – 33,303 square feet
Windsor - 30,623 square feet
Kitchener - 30,623 square feet

18. In what other cities will you open Pick-up and order points?

At IKEA, we are continually reviewing expansion opportunities in Canada and how we can expand into new markets faster and become more accessible to our Canadian customers. We will expand coast to coast in new and existing cities. With new locations with existing formats, and also some new formats. As all of our new locations are still under negotiations, it wouldn’t be fair to comment on which cities, stay tuned!

19. Why were these markets selected?

The Pick-up and order points allow IKEA to expand quickly into markets that have been identified as having potential.

These locations will quickly give our existing loyal customers in these markets easier and more affordable access to our range.

20. Does this mean that these cities will not get an IKEA store?

No. However, at this time we are focusing our energies on launching this new format.
Once they planned to double the store count, they needed a safe way to test the waters of potential locations for full size stores which the Pick-up and Order points accomplish. These are all in cities similar in size to Halifax or larger. I doubt these pick-up and order points will open in small markets that do not have the potential to support a full size store (Like Moncton or Kingston, ON as examples). The locations that do well like maybe Quebec City and London will give them enough market data to proceed with a full size store of some type.

They already had a enough market data for Halifax and Winnipeg from years of online and catalog shopping but locations in Ontario that were near full stores would not have as solid customer data. Again that's what the Pick-up and order points will tell them if a full-size store is warranted or not (hence temporary look and cost).

Last edited by q12; Aug 29, 2016 at 12:00 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
The Pick-up & Order points have a temporary vibe to them (old Future Shop locations etc. without much modifications to exterior).

IKEA's website kinda lays out the plan for these type of stores:

Once they planned to double the store count, they needed a safe way to test the waters of potential locations for full size stores which the Pick-up and Order points accomplish. These are all in cities similar in size to Halifax or larger. I doubt these pick-up and order points will open in small markets that do not have the potential to support a full size store (Like Moncton or Kingston, ON as examples). The locations that do well like maybe Quebec City and London will give them enough market data to proceed with a full size store of some type.

They already had a enough market data for Halifax and Winnipeg from years of online and catalog shopping but locations in Ontario that were near full stores would not have as solid customer data. Again that's what the Pick-up and order points will tell them if a full-size store is warranted or not (hence temporary look and cost).
Interesting take. I think it has merit.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 1:08 PM

Quote:
They usually ask for your postal code so they should have decent customer data.

Does anyone know if IKEA has similar expansion plans in the U.S.? They're spread rather thin there; for example, the Boston area only has one store.

I have a hard time seeing markets like Edmonton and Calgary getting second stores anytime soon.

It does seem like the pick up points have so far been located in cities where they are testing the waters for full size stores. Meanwhile the more isolated markets of similar sizes - Victoria, Regina, Saskatoon, St. John's, Moncton - have been ignored thus far.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Which brings me to another question. I've seen it alluded to and written in the above publication and others that these 12 will be full-size stores, in addition to the pick-up and order spots. However, I don't think I've ever seen/heard that as a direct IKEA quote. As in the articles above, the notion that these are additional stores always reads as editorial, rather than quotation, as if an assumption has been made. I've wondered if the smaller stores are being (quietly) included in this tally by IKEA Canada?
Here is a direct quote from the Halifax groundbreaking news release from IKEA this month:

“Halifax residents have been such great supporters of the IKEA brand and the area has always been a key market for expansion,” said David McCabe, Vice President, IKEA Canada. “It took us 40 years to build 12 stores and we are very happy that IKEA Halifax will be the first of 12 new stores to be built over the next 10 years.
Source

So they are not including Pick-up and Order Points in the 12 stores.

This Kitchener store opening news release also mentions this the PUOPs are part of a global test pilot and so far all of the Canadian ones have been very successful. It's also the largest of it's kind globally at 43,518 square feet and has 150 popular products for immediate take away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
They usually ask for your postal code so they should have decent customer data.
I agree they should have data from postal codes, but it is likey less reliable/incomplete than customer data from online orders.

Quote:
Does anyone know if IKEA has similar expansion plans in the U.S.? They're spread rather thin there; for example, the Boston area only has one store.
Here is a map of North America locations, there are actually more U.S. locations coming online this year that this map doesn't show. Las Vegas Nevada, Columbus Ohio, Norfolk Virginia.

Quote:
I have a hard time seeing markets like Edmonton and Calgary getting second stores anytime soon.
Edmonton and Calgary are getting their IKEA's expanded so you are likely right they wont see a 2nd store anytime soon unless Alberta's economy turns around.

Quote:
It does seem like the pick up points have so far been located in cities where they are testing the waters for full size stores. Meanwhile the more isolated markets of similar sizes - Victoria, Regina, Saskatoon, St. John's, Moncton - have been ignored thus far.
I believe Victoria, Saskatoon/Regina are like Halifax and Winnipeg and they might have more online/catalog data to go on. Atlantic Canada is going to be well covered with the Dartmouth store. I think small markets in Canada with populations under 200,000 should hope that Pick-Up and Order Points move from a global test pilot program to a new common store format.

If the PUOPs become permanent they need to make them look more like a mini IKEA like these ones that are opening in Spain and Thailand.

Spain:

Thailand:

Quebec City for Comparison (Old Maxi Grocery Store):

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 3:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I believe when they were first talking about pick-up point stores, they mentioned building perhaps 20 such outlets in the country.

If so, I would be hopeful that one or two of those stores might be in Atlantic Canada. Moncton and St. John's would be the obvious choices.......

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I believe when they were first talking about pick-up point stores, they mentioned building perhaps 20 such outlets in the country.

If so, I would be hopeful that one or two of those stores might be in Atlantic Canada. Moncton and St. John's would be the obvious choices.......
I could see Fredericton better suited for a small pick-up outlet due to it's distance from Halifax and decent University population. Again, these would need to move from a test pilot program to a new store format with a more permanent look and feel.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 3:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I could see Fredericton better suited for a small pick-up outlet due to it's distance from Halifax and decent University population. Again, these would need to move from a test pilot program to a new store format with a more permanent look and feel.
Good point about Freddy, but it should be pointed out that Moncton/Sackville has three universities (UdeM, Crandall & Mt A - actually four universities if you include the small UNB health sciences campus at the Moncton Hospital), with a total student population of around 8,000 or so. If you throw in NBCC Moncton, CCNB Dieppe and a number of private colleges, that pushes the numbers well in excess of 10,000. That's not too much different than Freddy........

Last edited by MonctonRad; Aug 29, 2016 at 6:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Good point about Freddy, but it should be pointed out that Moncton/Sackville has three universities (UdeM, Crandall & Mt A), with a total student population of around 8,000 or so. That's not too much less than Freddy........
Who know's with IKEA, maybe the global pilot test stores are so popular and profitable they open them all over Canada in places like Charlottetown, Sydney etc. (or maybe they scale it back).

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 5:15 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Who know's with IKEA, maybe the global pilot test stores are so popular and profitable they open them all over Canada in places like Charlottetown, Sydney etc. (or maybe they scale it back).
recall that those pickup stores are still at least double the size of the first stores they opened in Canada.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
recall that those pickup stores are still at least double the size of the first stores they opened in Canada.
The one in Burnside was not all that big.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 1:57 PM

The IKEA in burnside carried the full line of IKEA products which these Pick-Up and Order Points don't. It also had a Småland (ballroom) for kids. I remember the store being bigger on the inside than it looked on the outside. Maybe they had so much product/furniture jammed into a maze that it gave that illusion. I know shoppers could still spend a lot of time there while their kids played in the ballroom.

Screen Captures from CTV http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/

Here is the Globe an Mail article on it closing in 1988:

Source

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs