HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 9:55 PM

Looks great! Very reminiscent of Bishop's Landing and much of the Victoria waterfront. In the rendering, what already exists, and what is proposed?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Looks great! Very reminiscent of Bishop's Landing and much of the Victoria waterfront. In the rendering, what already exists, and what is proposed?
The only thing that exists in the rendering is the long rectangular building, top right.

Highlighted for your viewing pleasure:

edit: actually, looking at it again, I can see the other building is still existing too. You can kind of see the chimney poking out from behind.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 10:57 PM
ハルウララ

I'll see if I can get some good shots of the site in the coming days.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 1:26 AM

Great idea for this to have it's own thread!

So from the sounds of things then, this environmental assessment seems to be more of a cautious measure given that the proposal has part of the lands designated for residential use?

Good...no need to panic :o)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 2:05 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Another visual to perhaps better explain the rendering:

Project Area (Bright Blue indicates extant buildings)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 2:10 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

The tiny lighthouse was moved wasn't it?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 2:12 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
The tiny lighthouse was moved wasn't it?
Yes, it belonged to Digby.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 3:14 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Wasn't the Digby lighthouse the one closer to Water Street? I'm pretty sure the one at the tip of Coast Guard, and the one across Market Slip from it (lol, so many lighthouses) are still there.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 4:01 AM
Unregistered Loser

Just for reference, here is the original design the Hardman Group came up with many years ago...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 5:07 PM

Why does this have it's own thread? Finally there is something development-related to talk about on the main page and it is now segregated. Annoying to have to follow 2 threads.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 5:54 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhottawa729 View Post
Why does this have it's own thread? Finally there is something development-related to talk about on the main page and it is now segregated. Annoying to have to follow 2 threads.
That's the standard for every other board on the forum. Singular developments (of merit) have their own threads and general development talk can be kept to their respective threads, amongst smaller developments.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 6:50 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I understand the annoyance, but with this project covering an area that's probably around 10% of the existing uptown, it's far more than just a development project.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
That's the standard for every other board on the forum. Singular developments (of merit) have their own threads and general development talk can be kept to their respective threads, amongst smaller developments.
Ok, so why wasn't the thread created sometime in the last 7 or more years? Why wasn't there a thread for the IOL Headquarters project?

Unless I'm missing something, all that has been announced is (surprise surprise) a delay in announcing the project. A new thread could have been created multiple times for this project, this just seems an odd time to launch into a new thread when there is no developer, no plan, and no timeline.

For what it's worth, I also think this thread should be closed down and merged back with the normal Saint John thread.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 1:01 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
Ok, so why wasn't the thread created sometime in the last 7 or more years? Why wasn't there a thread for the IOL Headquarters project?
Because we're just now beginning to adhere to these rules. We have a bit more traffic now than we did when I first joined, for example. It's simply about trying to keep things neat and tidy. This thread for this development, another for another development. The main Saint John thread can still be used for discussion, rumours, and smaller projects, but often I found that the thread would get bogged down in some sort of different discussion and, personally, having to dig back through dozens of pages is more cumbersome than going back to the main Atlantic Canada forum and finding the thread for a development you may be looking for. Honestly I can't see there being any more than one or two Saint John development threads at any given time given the slow market that we have.

With the next project/development there will be another thread. We could have had one for HarbourFront Condos, for example.

Quote:
Unless I'm missing something, all that has been announced is (surprise surprise) a delay in announcing the project. A new thread could have been created multiple times for this project, this just seems an odd time to launch into a new thread when there is no developer, no plan, and no timeline.
There was no announcement for a delay, just that the site may be contaminated. It's been delayed in the past.

There is now work being done on site to look into a possible contamination of the site which is the closest thing to progress we've seen in those seven years. Now that the thread has been created we can just bump it back if development stalls and there's no news on anything. No need to create the same thread over and over again.

The city has been promising a developer, a plan, and a timeline, and I can assure you i'm not the only one that buys into their promises in regards to this site. It's a prime piece of land in the city and more than deserves it's own separate topic based on the possibilities and/or scale of the project at hand.

Quote:
For what it's worth, I also think this thread should be closed down and merged back with the normal Saint John thread.
Thanks for your input.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 1:19 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Creating new threads vs One Thread to Rule Them All is always going to bring about some debate.

There are a few problems with a massive thread. Obviously it gets hard to find things, especially if you need to go back more than a few days. The other problem is if you have more than a couple big projects going on at a given time. Overlapping conversations are hard to follow if you care about one but not the others. And naturally the flow is pretty disjointed.

Splitting big projects into their own posts make them a lot easier to track and filter. If you don't really care about a certain type of development, don't read that thread. Conversations can stay focused, etc. Mind you a balance needs to be struck because you totally can have too many threads to keep track of.

I'm with Greg on this one. I think it just comes down to a judgement call on whether something is big/popular enough to warrant a separate thread. But we're both open to everyone's opinions and suggestions.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
That depends on what the new plan is. The previous Hardman Group plan involved renovating a couple of the Coast Guard buildings and then adding to them, only tearing down the shed along Water Street. With a new developer, they might choose to do the same, or perhaps bulldoze everything and start anew.

As for the Coast Guard, as far as I know, they are reducing operations in Saint John, almost everything will be based elsewhere, with only a small presence remaining (mostly at the wharf at HMCS Brunswicker).
I don't mean to go on a tangent here, but anyone else think it is hard to believe that Saint John wouldn't have a strong Coast Guard service? It is pretty much a necessity for a coastal city, is it not?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 12:10 AM

Heard a rumour today - apparently the owners of businesses in Market Square had a meeting with the mayor - papers are all signed - just doing due diligence and announcement is set for 2 months from now. Lets see!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 1:36 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
Heard a rumour today - apparently the owners of businesses in Market Square had a meeting with the mayor - papers are all signed - just doing due diligence and announcement is set for 2 months from now. Lets see!
Open eyes and ears until April, then!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 3:43 PM

Any updates or signs of movement on the waterfront?

This is really a great exercise in patience! (although, I'm getting tired)

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 6:08 PM

This looks like a very exciting project for SJ. Can't wait to see it get built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces