HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 2:30 PM

it lacks evening activity because we're in the midst of a pandemic. I don't think setting up patios makes a whole lot of sense right now to be fair.

Maybe the condo fees are too high and their saving on electricity.

I think what you're worried about is too premature to judge.. I say give it some time.. I'm sure it'll be more exciting once we're all vaccinated.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 4:46 PM

Per the ICR 2021 Q1 office report, Nutrien Tower opening has been pushed back to late 2021, early 2022.

"The Suburban market posted a negative net absorption of
(-2,851) SF this quar ter as vacancy was up just slightly
to 14.81 per cent.
A notable exception was the Stonebridge office market,
which recorded a positive net absorption of 20,231 SF,
with the vacancy rate decreasing to 12.11 per cent.
Leasing activity was dominated by relocations and
expansions within the market. A flight to quality space,
accessible parking, and other amenities continued to
attract tenants"

Imagine if the city didn't fuck this one up. There had to have been a scenario where all of these companies went downtown instead of Stonebridge.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 8:44 PM

Agree....hope Stonebridge serves a lesson learned for city planners. I get the idea of a neighborhood where you can live, shop, play and work. But the concentration of office buildings in Stonebridge seems a bit excessive to serve that particular neighborhood. It definitely "stole" office occupancy from downtown in my opinion. Not a very balanced development.

Hoping post pandemic there will be an energy again downtown that sees people seeking out the entertainment options there (ie. pubs, restaurants, independent shops, theatre, movies and festivals). It had a good vibe going before "all of this"....will it return??

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Agree....hope Stonebridge serves a lesson learned for city planners. I get the idea of a neighborhood where you can live, shop, play and work. But the concentration of office buildings in Stonebridge seems a bit excessive to serve that particular neighborhood. It definitely "stole" office occupancy from downtown in my opinion. Not a very balanced development.

Hoping post pandemic there will be an energy again downtown that sees people seeking out the entertainment options there (ie. pubs, restaurants, independent shops, theatre, movies and festivals). It had a good vibe going before "all of this"....will it return??
Longer term, would it be set up for success as a Burnaby type region, but closer to our downtown? Trying to look at it from a brighter side ha

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 10:33 PM
danylo66

TD Bank at River Landing

So I noticed that during the 18 May Meeting of the City's Development Appeals Board that an appeal from Triovest re. River Landing re. Nutrien Tower Wayfinding signage was discussed. It is Agenda item #2 and the Appendix A.1 shows that there will be a TD Bank branch taking the corner site at 19th and 2nd Ave.

Here's the link - https://pub-saskatoon.escribemeeting...ab=attachments

The other issue being raised is why the city is not approving what will be quite attractive signing for this site.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danylo66 View Post
So I noticed that during the 18 May Meeting of the City's Development Appeals Board that an appeal from Triovest re. River Landing re. Nutrien Tower Wayfinding signage was discussed. It is Agenda item #2 and the Appendix A.1 shows that there will be a TD Bank branch taking the corner site at 19th and 2nd Ave.

Here's the link - https://pub-saskatoon.escribemeeting...ab=attachments

The other issue being raised is why the city is not approving what will be quite attractive signing for this site.
Nice find and by typing in TD Nutrien Tower Saskatoon into google, I found some confirmation and further details here - https://leasing.triovest.com/images/...21_office_.pdf

As for the city not approving the sign, I don't imagine the city will put up much of a fight on this one. Sign regs and the zoning bylaw are one sized fits all, so it seems it's quite often that there are appeals for things that very obviously fit in and should be supported, which the city doesn't really fight. It's just the formal process that's required for some unique situations. I'd be very surprised to see this appeal not go throught.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 4:08 AM

Was really hoping they’d have a starbucks or chain gym secured :/. the two things this development is lacking in a few block radius that most modern builds have..

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 5:32 AM

Hey, that's really interesting news about TD! I wonder what will happen with their current building. It would be a great location for just about anything!

I really like the ground-floor corner of Nutrien Tower at 2nd and 19th, and it's nice to know the commercial space at the intersection will be bustling before long.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
Hey, that's really interesting news about TD! I wonder what will happen with their current building. It would be a great location for just about anything!

I really like the ground-floor corner of Nutrien Tower at 2nd and 19th, and it's nice to know the commercial space at the intersection will be bustling before long.
I vote for a nice boutique hotel! This corner has some of the best charm of our downtown since it’s equidistant from the Bess and Midtown entrance on a street that should one day be pedestrian only. I wonder if the owner also owns the Social Services building next door - this spot would be perfect for a landmark tower as the 360 degree views around the whole downtown being right in the center would be phenomenal - views of the Bess, River Landing, etc

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 3:18 PM

I like the boutique hotel idea, as it really is in the middle of downtown and is not a huge building that would require a ton of suites. I really can't see this as a highrise location simply due to the myriad of other locations (gravel parking lots and other spots already touted for future office buildings) that are available and have bigger footprints.

On the River Landing front, I was on site yesterday and things are progressing nicely for the plaza to open to the public by mid-summer.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 5:27 AM

I can't remember if this has been mentioned here before, but I've heard that Canpotex will be moving to River Landing too. The "flight to quality" continues, leaving 2nd Ave with a lot of space to fill / repurpose. Covid has already been so tough on the strip's retail --- hopefully the next few years will see 2nd bounce back. A hotel in the current TD building would be a nice start, or a conversion to apartments.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 11:52 AM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:57 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
I can't remember if this has been mentioned here before, but I've heard that Canpotex will be moving to River Landing too. The "flight to quality" continues, leaving 2nd Ave with a lot of space to fill / repurpose. Covid has already been so tough on the strip's retail --- hopefully the next few years will see 2nd bounce back. A hotel in the current TD building would be a nice start, or a conversion to apartments.
Yes, Canpotex is taking 1-1/2 floors in the East Tower at River Landing. They hope to be in by the end of this year.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post

So, since this is the River Landing thread, Stealth Monitoring, a major security company which supplies the camera feed to the Nutrien Tower build site and which we've all been watching, is all about securing your property from theft and vandalism, blah, blah, blah.

So I asked them, how good can you be if your camera doesn't even show the first floor of this project, where most of the action is nowadays? I didn't say this, but a truck could literally drive up to the corner of 19th and 2nd and steal a big grapple-gromit and they'd have no footage of it. Or do they have more cameras on site? Anyway, I hope they get my point. Frame the target you're supposed to be monitoring! Bigger is not always better for service.
Did you get an answer from Stealth? I always understood the camera to be there simply to monitor progress on the construction, not as a security tool. The text at the bottom of the image even reads: "This project management camera has been brought to you by Stealth Monitoring."

As to why it's pointed where it is, I think the idea was to get the tower crane in the frame, which came at the expense of capturing what is happening at street level. The camera hasn't been adjusted since the building was topped off.

http://timelapse.stealthmonitoring.c...wdNPKCygwEen84

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 4:01 PM

Where was Canpotex located prior to this relocation? Great to see RL filling up.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
Where was Canpotex located prior to this relocation? Great to see RL filling up.
Floors 2-4 /5 floors of the Scotiabank building in the Scotia Center. They’re already posted for lease on ICR or Colliers website.. can’t quite recall which one it was. Scotiabank’s commercial team and a junior uranium miner take up the top floor of the Scotiabank building, but I bet they’re also reconsidering their space. Scotiabank building, Nutrien Tower, and a good chunk of Princeton Tower are mostly empty at the moment. Great condo opportunity - at least renovate them to expand the tiny windows in these offices!

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 4:54 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:57 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 4:49 PM

Walked down to RL for the first time in a while yesterday. The amount of “tourists or new residents” just sitting around staring at the river was wild. It’s cool to see how active this space is just because people want something to do - same with diefenbaker park. Need more retail in these spots!

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 5:05 PM

Yesterday was a perfect summer day in Saskatoon....no wind, blue skies and plus 24C. We spent part of the day trying to find empty tennis courts to play on as they were all so busy with people waiting to play. It is great to see so many people active.

On that same note.....there are 2 formal pickleball associations in Saskatoon and apparently they have been working with the City to "convert" more tennis courts to pickleball courts!!! This is wrong!! You do not take away from one popular activity to meet the needs of the other. Pickleball is a very well organised group in Saskatoon and they apparently have the ear of the City. It makes no sense to reduce the number of tennis courts in our city with the increase in usage and demand, to accommodate another sport showing growth.

The City should invest in a north pickleball facility (one already exists in Sutherland as well as a soon to be opened indoor facility in Soccer Centre). I play both sports, but am very unhappy the city is going down the path of taking tennis courts away to keep another user group happy!

If you agree.....PLEASE let your city councilor know.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 9:24 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:58 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan