HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 8:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The sad thing with this process is that the school closed down in 2000 after opening 42 years earlier. The site has sat empty for 10 years. No wonder there are all kinds of empty lots around the city.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The sad thing with this process is that the school closed down in 2000 after opening 42 years earlier. The site has sat empty for 10 years. No wonder there are all kinds of empty lots around the city.
Looking at this from the city perspective (I'm not speaking on behalf or HRM but as someone who is 'administration' in another city) - sometimes the delay falls mainly on the applicant. Here in Calgary we review a development permit and send out what's called a Detailed Team Review (DTR) which is the comments from planning, transportation, engineering and parks. Sometimes some of the stuff that engineering or transportation may require to move forward can take a lot of time - traffic impact assessments, wind tunnel studies - those things are very complex.

But there can be delays internally as well. Just as the information requested can be complex, if there is one person reviewing all the traffic impact assessments for every development - that can take time. It's not a perfect system in HRM nor in Calgary and we've been taking flack on our timelines for a while now. It wasn't uncommon last year when a rezoning went to our planning commission that if the file said 2006, 2007 or 2008 - the planners got a real grilling on why it took YEARS to get the application to commission. Fortunately, we were prepared with timelines to detail the delays and having been one of the planners involved in a 'delayed file', I took my licks for causing some delay (family issues - requiring me to fly home to Halifax).

But systems can be improved!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 12:38 AM

This proposal does seem to contribute more than the old one

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 1:27 AM
we built this city

I guess the density is ok... I think the lot just needs something on it stat... even brick syndrome is better than nothing!

(Credit: infomonkey.net)

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 8:13 PM
we built this city

So has anybody seen the revised proposal?
http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case01254Details.html

Renderings look wayyy better!!!
http://www.halifax.ca/planning/docum...Renderings.pdf

With this and the Fares development down the street, Fairview is going to be much improved... its own mini-downtown.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 9:07 PM
Honored Member

Yes, this looks like an appealing development.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 10:36 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It does look pretty decent. It's a slightly awkward site since it's very deep with relatively little street frontage, but at least they have a walkway going through to the other street. Too bad they couldn't build on the gas station or whatever it is next door.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 10:24 PM
Honored Member

There is a story in the halifaxnewsnet regarding this development proposal - http://www.halifaxnewsnet.ca/News/20...st-property-/1 . Not surprisingly, there is a neighbourhood group opposed to it even though part of the development has been set aside as a 1.65 acre park. The group wants a community centre - why not rent part of the commercial space for a community centre? (it would certainly be much cheaper than the city building and maintaining a separate community centre).

Quote:
Fight growing over former Halifax West property

Published on July 19, 2011
Kim Moar

Another voice has joined the fight for community space in the redevelopment of the former Halifax West site in Fairview.

The Fairview and Clayton Park Community Action Network (CAN) made a presentation recently to Chebucto Community Council urging the city to reconsider a development proposal that would see the entire seven-acre lot redeveloped.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 10:42 AM

That is the same bunch as kicked up a bunch of dust earlier thanks to left-wing extremist and failed NDP candidate Tamara Lorincz - she is the one who staged a protest aimed at members of the armed forces during her election campaign. she is usually off-base on most issues and this is no exception.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 6:57 PM
we built this city

You gotta be f'n s'n me.

Seriously??? Really??? Enjoy your empty lot and Fairview looking like a craphole residents!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 7:00 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
That is the same bunch as kicked up a bunch of dust earlier thanks to left-wing extremist and failed NDP candidate Tamara Lorincz - she is the one who staged a protest aimed at members of the armed forces during her election campaign. she is usually off-base on most issues and this is no exception.
Jesus, where do these people come from? I'm going to guess they aren't from around here... ah, progress in Halifax, spoiled by those who hated their cities growing up.

I do love how the provincial NDP has seemingly marginalized all these crazies.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 1:18 PM

HRM staff OKs plans for school site
City will keep ownership of park
By BRETT BUNDALE Business Reporter
Fri, Sep 30 - 4:54 AM

Quote:
A vacant lot the size of five football fields in the heart of Fairview is one step closer to being redeveloped.

Halifax Regional Municipality staff have recommended approving a proposed plan by United Gulf Developments Ltd. for the old Halifax West High School site on Dutch Village Road.

However, city planners suggested amending the original proposal, which featured two seven-storey condo towers and 10,000 square feet of retail space, to include a municipal park.

Read More ...

This goes for final approval on Monday night at CCC. If this is approved United Gulf is projecting a start date of next fall.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 11:22 AM

Well, left-wing loonie Tamara Lorincz is at it again:

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/hcw...ifax-west-site

Quote:
If Halifax regional council approves a proposal for the development of the former Halifax West High School site, it’ll be over the opposition of hundreds of local residents.

Municipal staff have recommended approval of United Gulf Developments’ plans for the Dutch Village Road site, but a community activist says the staff report was filled with errors and omissions and was “extremely troubling.”

Tamara Lorincz of the Fairview Clayton Park Community Action Network presented a 300-signature petition opposing United Gulf’s plan at last week’s meeting of Chebucto community council.

“We want a new request for proposals process so that the community has greater say in how this land is developed,” Lorincz said. “Now, people should recognize that this is seven acres (2.8 hectares) of prime public land in the heart of our community, and this is land that could be leveraged in a way that could benefit our community, from our babies to our seniors.

“We could have things on that land, we could have some residential and commercial development, but we could also have things that the community needs and wants, things like a community centre, a nice park, an off-leash area ..... tennis court, basketball court, skate park.

“When we’ve had community meetings here in Fairview, when we’ve talked to people door to door, when we’ve stopped them on the street, we’ve asked what they would like to see on this land. The majority of people say that they want to see nice green space. They want to see nice community amenities.”

Sometimes, the media really needs to just tell people like this to go away. "Opposition of hundreds of local residents"? What a hack job by the writer. He makes it sound like the community will be marching in the streets when in reality is is just one out-to-lunch crazy person who doesn't know she's lost yet again.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 12:41 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Sure, this should be a mixed use given the size. However, you are right about the media.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 2:34 PM
You talkin' to me?

What is it with people and their green space around here. We have enough of it for now. Enough of the damn green space! We need more density right now.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 3:11 PM

Things like that cost MONEY! If you want to pay for the community centre your self, sure. If not, shut the hell up and mind your own business.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 7:55 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

What a horrible attitude of entitlement.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 10:39 PM

This woman wouldn't know community spirit if it walked up and bashed her in the face. Fairview isn't big enough for a Community Centre and last I checked in Clayton Park they had...oh yeah, the CANADA GAMES CENTRE. The whole idea of it was to be a show piece after the games for sports and community events...duh!? So why would you need another one in the community next door?

I went to Halifax West (the old one) when I was growing up - go ahead and develop it. I suspect these people will be seen for what they are, a bunch of whining NIMBYs. Fairview is at the end of the community life cycle, it's commercial area is in dire need of a face lift and this along with the St. Lawrance development will be great.

On a side note - I was doing some digging on 'greater homes' and United Golf. Apparently there is a facebook page called 'I've been screwed over by greater homes' and they have multiple complaints filed with the BBB.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 5:22 PM

This goes for public hearing tommorrow night.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 6:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Those letters are very interesting. Of course the community centre crowd are well-represented but most people seem to understand that Dutch Village Road needs more residents and that there are financial constraints involved.

I do wish people were on average better informed about planning and finances. It's mind-boggling how many people act like money comes out of thin air. They want the city to spend money, keep taxes low, and disallow developments that bring in tax dollars. I wonder how many of these people have had to work to pay their own bills. The attitude is childish.

The "happy rainbow unicorn community" type rhetoric is also really annoying. Again some people are confused and think that healthy neighbourhoods are built on community centres. They are not. Community centres are nice to have but fundamentally vibrant areas are built on economic success. Many have lost sight of that in Canada because they are so removed from the foundations of our economy. It really gets me when people act like they are being oppressed because the government isn't just forking money over to them for their artwork or whatever.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs