HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:

The corner of Southgate Dr. and Ravines Dr. The unfinished road will connect to Larry Uteck Blvd and the Bi-Hi.
I was up through the neighbourhood(s) again yesterday. The road has progressed about 200m since the photo was taken.

Here's a quick picture I took yesterday of a condo building u/c on Masthead Court mere metres away from the Bi-Hi.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 1:51 AM

So that's where those 2 building are. They really stick out when you're driving on the 102, but I never associated them with the Ravines.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 7:58 PM

^Actually there are in Royale Hemlocks. But since the two neighborhoods will be connected soon it just consider them one big neighbourhood.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! The layout for the top part of the hill with the new interchange is now available to view!

Master Plan

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 8:21 PM

Three roundabouts? Interesting.....

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 9:07 PM

Oh god NO!! more rotaries!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 9:51 PM

what's going in all those commercial properties?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 11:07 PM

What the devil. Why would they put rotaries in those locations...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 11:28 PM

Ahhhh 3 roundabouts?? I could see maybe one, but that's overkill.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Yeah, seriously. There is definitely a lack of taste overall. That turret is rediculous, I would have opted-out on that part of the design for some shingles in place of the vinyl siding. I wonder what these people think of their house. I could find alot better ways to spend $500,000, especially considering that this is an off-peninsula location.

I agree. Shades of 1984...big brother is watching and expects everyone to conform.
If you are going to waste land to put in new burbs the least you could do is show you have a sense of style...but I say this in a society where so many think McDonalds is haute cuisine.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire75 View Post
Ahhhh 3 roundabouts?? I could see maybe one, but that's overkill.
Yeah, I don't get that...maybe for a meeting of some back streets but for a major intersection right off a major highway...???

Some people can be sooooooo stupid...betcha they'll wind up tearing them out and putting in a set of lights.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 3:00 PM

I'm actually surprised Halifax doesn't have more round a bouts. I've seen them in soooooo many other cities. If used correctly they are great and very efficient. They just shouldn't be used for every single intersection. I think our views of round a bouts are very skewed because of the Rotary.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I'm actually surprised Halifax doesn't have more round a bouts. I've seen them in soooooo many other cities. If used correctly they are great and very efficient. They just shouldn't be used for every single intersection. I think our views of round a bouts are very skewed because of the Rotary.
I've always been surprised by the lack of roundabouts as well. Halifax only has one so far which is very strange for a city settled by European descendants. Even Moncton has more than us (2 with one more on the way).

As for the one's in the plans I can see the need for two of them, ones a main intersection and one has five roadways, but the middle one is defenitely unnesseciary.

I've always thought Halifax could do with a couple more roundabouts at main intersections.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 7:23 PM

The official plan for the Neighbourhood "B" (corner of Southgate and Larry Uteck) is going before Council on Tuesday.

Amending Agreements - Beford South
Development Agreement for Bedford South

Looking at these documents this is quite suburban looking (surprise eh not like its in Bedford or anything ).

For the area near the corner there is supposed to be; 4X6 Storey, 1X7 Storey, 1X9 Storey and 1X12 Storey condominium buildings. And in addition to that two commercial buidings.

For the rest of the area currently not under a development agreement;

- A assisted care-facility to be built by Shannex(156 Units),
- Four multiple-unit dwellings (323 Units),
- two more community commercial sites,
- three general commercial sites,
- 91 single-unit dwellings (Ngh D),
- 150 single-unit/townhouses dwellings (Ngh E),
- 74 multiple unit dwellings (Ngh E),
- A new French High School (Southgate @ Larry Uteck),
- 1253m of trail,
- 23 acres of parkland,
- a playing field (soccer field),
- the new 102 Interchange (to be opened Fall 2010),
- three roundabouts,

And the area is to be phased in over four years;

09/10 - Construction of Larry Uteck, 102 Interchange, Starboard Drive, and the first part of Nine Mile Drive. Including the park on Larry Uteck, Shannex Lands, and some of the Commercial.

10/11 - Construction of Road "9" off of Nine Mile Drive, Multiple-Unit Dwellings on Larry Uteck, and the remainder of the commercial.

11/12 - Construction of Roads "20" and "22", remainder of Nine Mile Drive and the remainder of the parkland.

12/13 - Construction of the rest of the connectors to Paper Mill/Crestview.

If this sounds slightly confusing don't worry too much. I'll be trying my best to get photos to show what this all means over the next couple of years.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 6:04 PM

I was up through Royale Hemlocks and the Ravines today and both Southgate and Larry Uteck are paved most likely up to their intersection but are still blocked off to traffic.

As soon as it warms up slightly on the waterfront I am going to bike up and see if I can get any pictures without getting trouble.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 5:29 PM

I was back up the hill today. It looks like both Southgate and Larry Uteck have sidewalks up the hill so I am going to try later today to walk up and see if I can see anything.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 11:18 AM

New phase of Bedford South approved
Halifax News Net

BEDFORD
By Yvette d’Entremont – The Weekly News

Traffic issues topped the list for residents who spoke during a public hearing last week about a proposed residential/commercial community that marks another phase of the Bedford South development.
The latest development agreement brought forward March 26 and eventually approved by North West Community Council concerns a 146-acre parcel of land located in Bedford to the east of Highway 102.
The Clayton Developments Limited site will include a mixture of residential, community commercial, parkland and other open space uses.
A handful of local residents expressed concerns about traffic in the area, including issues with the reduced width of Oceanview Drive in the winter months and traffic heading up Southgate Drive enroute to construction sites.
One resident asked why Larry Uteck Boulevard wasn’t open to allow heavy construction vehicles to access the site.
Surprise
An HRM representative who attended the meeting expressed surprise that Larry Uteck Boulevard was blocked off in that manner and promised to look into it. Representatives with Clayton Developments Limited also expressed their desire to see Larry Uteck opened up to their construction vehicles.
57 acres
The newly approved development includes about 57 acres that will house a mix of community commercial and general commercial uses as well as multiple-unit residential land uses.
It will include: three general commercial sites; two community commercial sites; four multiple-unit dwellings (323 units); and 156 units in two buildings (multiple-unit dwelling or assisted-living facility).
About 23 acres of the site is reserved for park dedication and open space. The developer also plans to construct 4,111 feet of trail and site preparation for a 10,000 square foot neighbourhood park.
A mix of residential development on the site will cover about 66 acres and include 91 single-unit dwellings, 150 single-unit dwellings/townhouses, and 74 multiple-unit dwellings.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 11:21 PM

April 3, 2009

Picture time (all photos taken by me tonight);

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 8:12 PM

Oui for French school
Plans unveiled for new Halifax francophone high school
Halifax News Net
By Yvette d’Entremont – The Weekly News

Agroup of parents, teachers, school board and provincial officials filled Ecole Beaubassin’s cafeteria on April 20 for an update on the new francophone high school slated to open on Larry Uteck Boulevard in 2010.
WHW Architects unveiled its design plans to an appreciative audience, many of whom had questions about the school’s operating capacity, when it would open, and what grade levels would fill its classrooms.
Darrell Samson, superintendent of the province’s Acadian School Board, said the new high school will have enough classrooms for 450 students, but it is being built with the expectation it will eventually have up to 650 students.
“There will be a second phase in two years or so, to add six other classrooms,” Samson said during an interview conducted in French.
“But the core, the gymnasium, the cafeteria and the library will all be built to accommodate 650 students, so we don’t find ourselves scrambling to accommodate 650 down the road.”
Ecole du Carrefour in Dartmouth is the only current choice for francophone students in HRM who want to attend high school using their native tongue.
Parents at the elementary Ecole Beaubassin began lobbying for a new francophone school on the Halifax side of the harbour after the population at Beaubassin exploded, only a few years after the school’s construction.
The new high school project was officially announced in 2007, to the jubilation of parents who feared long commutes to Dartmouth from farther-flung communities would mean many youths wouldn’t be able to continue their francophone education after leaving Beaubassin.
“It’s important to congratulate the francophone community on (the Halifax) side of the harbour that took this opportunity and ran with it. Beaubassin opened with 205 students and is now approaching 600,” Samson said. “A real sense of community has developed. It shows they have a lot of energy and a real desire to be able to provide their children with an education in the French language.”
Samson said government officials have told him the new high school bordering Larry Uteck Boulevard and Southgate Drive in Bedford will be partially ready by December 2009.
“We could accommodate students by then if we want, but it will be completely open and ready for all classes to start in September of 2010,” he said.
The school will have two separate wings: one for students in grades 6 to 8, the second for those in grades 9 through 12. Federal and provincial funding is also making it possible for the school to offer 60 francophone daycare spaces for children one to five years old.

ydentremont@hfxnews.ca

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 1:53 AM

Found the plans for the New French School at the corner of Larry Uteck and Southgate. Its pretty nice looking for a school.

Nouvelle Ecole

EDIT: Just as a side note this building is aiming for LEED Certification.

Last edited by Dmajackson; May 2, 2009 at 2:24 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 3:08 PM

It's a very industrial design. I don't know if I would want to have gone to school there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs