HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:35 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Zahav owners plan new Fishtown restaurant, events venue in former Honeygrow HQ building

Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=2#cxrecs_s
Honeygrow is moving operations to Center City.

And Laser Wolf another Mike Solomonov and Steve Cook on N Howard Street (nearby) was featured on Conde Nast best new restaurants IN THE WORLD. That area is becoming a culinary mecca.

My friend has a house around the corner, he purchased in 2000 for pennies, and currently rents it out, he is sitting on a gold mine now.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 3:44 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I’m kind of confused myself but I’m speculating that Rolex and Govbergs cut a deal to share the new space. Govbergs is I believe the only authorized partner to represent the Rolex brand in the city and maybe they didn’t want to directly compete with each other. Although, I’ve yet to see any Govbergs sign on the new building - everything says Rolex.
I'm 100% certain that the new store is still Govbergs, I think they just haven't put up new signs yet (and I agree it's kind of weird as is, lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Honeygrow is moving operations to Center City.

And Laser Wolf another Mike Solomonov and Steve Cook on N Howard Street (nearby) was featured on Conde Nast best new restaurants IN THE WORLD. That area is becoming a culinary mecca.

My friend has a house around the corner, he purchased in 2000 for pennies, and currently rents it out, he is sitting on a gold mine now.
I went to Laser Wolf pre-pandemic and it was fine tbh but I'm shocked it's ended up on any sort of "best new restaurants" list. It wasn't that good. But whatever, I can't complain.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:47 PM
Midrise

Quote:
I’m kind of confused myself but I’m speculating that Rolex and Govbergs cut a deal to share the new space. Govbergs is I believe the only authorized partner to represent the Rolex brand in the city and maybe they didn’t want to directly compete with each other. Although, I’ve yet to see any Govbergs sign on the new building - everything says Rolex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
I'm 100% certain that the new store is still Govbergs, I think they just haven't put up new signs yet (and I agree it's kind of weird as is, lol).
To state the obvious, a truly inquisitive person could simply check the location at GovbergWatches.com.
Rittenhouse Square
1529 Walnut St. <———the former Under Armour® location
Philadelphia, PA 19102
https://www.govbergwatches.com/about...ore-locations/

Although maybe not reflected in exterior signage, they carry at least 5 other luxury watch brands at this store.
Store Hours at Rittenhouse Square
Available by phone only
Brands Carried at Rittenhouse Square
Breitling F.P. Journe
Hublot Patek Philippe
Rolex Tudor
Services Offered at Rittenhouse Square
Mandarin-Speaking Sales Associates
Traditional Over-the-Counter Watch Repair
Full Access to the Pre-Owned Inventory

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 6:42 PM

I was out on a walk about half an hour ago, when I noticed some site action happening at 545 North Broad (the vacant building to the north of Spring Garden that used to house a Pep Boys and Subway):

As a reminder, this building is scheduled to rise nine stories and include 108 apartments. Images and details about the project can be found at the following Rising Real Estate link: http://www.rising.realestate/108-uni...r-north-broad/

With this and LVL North going, all we need is for Mural West (523 North Broad) to happen! The area surrounding the BSL Spring Garden stop will be dramatically transformed soon.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 6:56 PM

If I’m remembering correctly, this is a very handsome project. Looking forward to seeing it go up, along with everything else on North Broad (don’t forget about the Mormon project!)

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 7:06 PM

If we were to do a bit more digging, we might find that an Inquirer article mentioned that Rolex was planning on opening somewhere in Center City. Again, this would support my abovementioned speculation. I also find it odd that there's a large Rolex sign in the vestibule. It could very well solely be a Govbergs, but for whatever reason there's a lot of Rolex indications at the moment.

https://www.inquirer.com/business/re...-20210131.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
To state the obvious, a truly inquisitive person could simply check the location at GovbergWatches.com.
Rittenhouse Square
1529 Walnut St. <———the former Under Armour® location
Philadelphia, PA 19102
https://www.govbergwatches.com/about...ore-locations/

Although maybe not reflected in exterior signage, they carry at least 5 other luxury watch brands at this store.
Store Hours at Rittenhouse Square
Available by phone only
Brands Carried at Rittenhouse Square
Breitling F.P. Journe
Hublot Patek Philippe
Rolex Tudor
Services Offered at Rittenhouse Square
Mandarin-Speaking Sales Associates
Traditional Over-the-Counter Watch Repair
Full Access to the Pre-Owned Inventory

Last edited by skyhigh07; May 12, 2021 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 1:52 AM
Midrise

Quote:
If we were to do a bit more digging, we might find that an Inquirer article mentioned that Rolex was planning on opening somewhere in Center City. Again, this would support my abovementioned speculation. I also find it odd that there's a large Rolex sign in the vestibule. It could very well solely be a Govbergs, but for whatever reason there's a lot of Rolex indications at the moment.

https://www.inquirer.com/business/re...-20210131.html
But Rolex® is content to refer to the Philadelphia store as Govberg Jewelers on their own website too. ;-)

https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/...ladelphia.html

https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/...tedstates.html
OFFICIAL ROLEX RETAILER
GOVBERG JEWELERS‬
1529 Walnut Street
Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19102
United States

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 1:09 PM

Quote:
You seem defensive, I’m not sure why. It was my observation. Am I allowed that? If I’m mistaken or misunderstood, please explain. The Back Bay isn’t particularly a good mix of retail and restaurants nor is there a diverse blend of high/low end retail as you described. What was your intention then if I am off base?
Not defensive, man. Just amused. Your observation regarding the lack of good restaurants had nothing to do with what I wrote. Now you're actually responding to my point about diversity, but you're wrong to the extent that I have hard time believing you've actually been to Newbury St, and I'm not sure why you feel the need to insist on something that's so easy to disprove. I'm not going to get into a back and forth about Boston. Either look at a map or don't. The larger point of my post was to bring the discussion back to Philly and suggest that the city would be wise to mix things up some.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 4:17 PM

Storage Facility Makes Some Sense on Grays Ferry Avenue

Quote:
Pop quiz – kindly locate 3145 Grays Ferry Ave. on a map. Logic would suggest that it’s the Hertz property on the north side of Grays Ferry Avenue, just east of I-76 and 32nd Street. We’re sorry to say, that’s not it. Instead, 3145 Grays Ferry Ave. is the wedge-shaped property immediately to the west of I-76, and curiously, just west of 32nd Street.

Finally though, this property is getting redeveloped. And the project in question will be… <drum roll>… a storage facility! According to a story from the Progress News, GoldOller Real Estate Investments has purchased the property and will be constructing a five-story, 157K sqft storage facility on the site. And for a change, we can’t really argue with this plan. It’s an interesting move for this developer, which primarily operates in the residential market, but they’ve dabbled in the self-storage before.
Current site:

Aerial of location:

Rendering:

Read/view more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...s-ferry-avenue

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 4:19 PM

Google maps is a hell of a thing... I’m seeing almost identical stores on newbury to the ones on walnut and a number that can be found on chestnut. On top of that many empty storefronts with availability similar to what we’re seeing here. People’s perception of Boston v Philly is the only difference. Cool

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 4:24 PM

^^Yep... not sure what people are talking about. Newbury got blasted too - almost as bad as Walnut Street.

Madison Avenue in Manhattan has been nearly emptied out as well.

Now... here's the main difference....

Boston still has Copley Place, which is a shopping mall in the Back Bay loaded to the brim with luxury stores.

NYC still has SoHo, Fifth Avenue and many other areas loaded to the brim with retail or luxury stores.

Philadelphia ONLY has Walnut Street, and no other option in the city limits for luxury retailers. It should be better.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
^^yep... Not sure what people are talking about. Newbury got blasted too - almost as bad as walnut street.

Madison avenue in manhattan has been nearly emptied out as well.

Now... Here's the main difference....

Boston still has copley place, which is a shopping mall in the back bay loaded to the brim with luxury stores.

Nyc still has soho, fifth avenue and many other areas loaded to the brim with retail or luxury stores.

Philadelphia only has walnut street, and no other option in the city limits for luxury retailers. It should be better.
+1

Edit: Add to that, again, with inside information. Madison Avenue has long been an underperformer. As someone who has worked at a company that has had stores on both Madison Avenue and in Soho. Madison Avenue revenue was a fraction of Soho. It's all a facade, rents were not justified, and Covid has just magnified that.

I think Hudson Yards has caused many retailers to re-calibrate their NY foot print and Madison (for many) is/has been the first to go.

Williamsburg also offers a compelling alternative. The J Crew location in Williamsburg outperforms nearly all of the other NY stores.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 7:49 PM

Is this the thread where the endless Amazon HQ2 talk was? Just saw via this tweet that Philly was one of the actual finalists (with Chicago and Raleigh) until Jeff Bezos stepped in and got NYC and DC into the mix. What could have been...

https://twitter.com/eliotwb/status/1392848608605605890

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 7:58 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
I guess with him stepping down as CEO, the previous decision on Philly is final??

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
I guess with him stepping down as CEO, the previous decision on Philly is final??
I don't think they are redoing the HQ2 process or looking for a new office even after the Queens site fell through, but I've not really been following the news with this at all.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 8:15 PM

100-Unit Project Planned in West Philly at 4025 Chestnut Street

Current site:

Next LVL 43rd & Chestnut Project:

Quote:
The 4200 block of Chestnut Street and surrounding area is booming with new construction with several more proposals in the pipeline. We told you about the 278-unit project replacing the Christ Memorial Reformed Episcopal Church at 43rd and Chestnut St. back in 2019. That project is now nearing completion. A 102-unit, mixed-use project is planned across the street at 4240 Chestnut. That development has yet to break ground. An 18-unit building is nearing completion just north of Chestnut St. on 43rd St. A 141-unit project opened up within the last 18 months or so at 4125 Chestnut St. Another 88-unit project is planned at 4219 Chestnut St.

Right next to the 88-unit proposal, zoning permits were just issued for a 7-story, 75 foot tall building with 100 residential units, an automated parking garage in the basement, 2 elevators, and a roof deck on the 3 parcels at 4205-13 Chestnut Street.
Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/100-uni...n-west-philly/

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 9:23 PM

Is that the final paneling for that project? Christ. That’s hideous.

Philly needs to make like Chicago and encourage more masonry.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post

Yeah, it’s not great but 42nd and Chestnut isn’t the most high demand area per se.

Cool new low rise buildings seem to be more in the Navy Yard, Northern Liberties and increasingly in Fishtown and Kensington.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 1:26 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post

Yes. I spend a lot of time in Chicago, it is night and day. In Philadelphia it's almost an anomaly to get a thoughtfully designed building with masonry these days.

A big factor is cost vs. return. It costs a lot more to build in Philadelphia, 1/3+ more, but Chicago and Philadelphia have similar ROI's. Even CC Philadelphia still gets a lot of schlock (Hyatt Centric, 1900 Arch Street).

But there are firms here that produce wonderful buildings in neighborhoods outside of CC, Ambit Architecture is one, so it is possible to an extent... There must be other reasons why Philadelphia has fallen out of the architecture arena? Lack of oversight? Laziness from the city, designers?, etc. There is NO excuse why Center City should be stuck with the new Hyatt Centric building.

(Philadelphia needs to look at Chicago for a lot of things actually).

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; May 14, 2021 at 1:39 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 4:21 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

3.0 University Place had it's groundbreaking ceremony yesterday-- I went to the ceremony but I had to leave early-- still got to see Larry Silverstein!

https://twitter.com/UPAPhila

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development