HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I might need to check this out, as we'll be visiting Santa Catarina, on a leisure trip (close friends now live there), sometime next year. I'm only doing directs, and I know the directs to SP from U.S. are expensive.
Today Viracopos is the country's biggest domestic hub. It's AZUL base, which is the company that flies to about 100 airports in the country. TAM and GOL only fly to state capitals or big non-capital cities.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
it just doesn't make any sense.

i mean, dallas, houston, atlanta, chicago, boston and freaking orlando get non-stops but not the mighty LAX???

and it's not like we don't have jets that can easily do that distance.

they have to be two largest unconnected metro areas in the western hemisphere.
I've noticed that South Americans, in general, tend to be much less aware of L.A. than I would expect.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 8:10 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
When the big Brazilian Japanese migration to Japan started in the early 1990's, São Paulo-Los Angeles-Tokyo or São Paulo-Los Angeles-Osaka was the main route.
This is very interesting. The 747 was full and half the passengers looked Asian to me, I was part of a group of 24 missionaries traveling from Salt Lake City to Sao Paulo and other points in Brazil.

I remember being told we were the first group to go through LAX in a long time and most missionaries headed to Brazil went through Miami or New York.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 8:12 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:

i mean, dallas, houston, atlanta, chicago, boston and freaking orlando get non-stops but not the mighty LAX???

Yup, good observation.

I know American Airlines had LAX-GRU flights recently, but it appears that was cancelled. Who knows? Maybe it will be revived in the future.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 8:15 PM

Quote:

I wrote a paper on Franklin Roosevelt's Good Neighbor Policy during grad school. Washington was very invested in courting Brazil to the Allies, or at least preventing them from siding with the Axis.

So there was a lot of cultural courtship:

Video Link

And Disney was instrumental to the strategy. 1944's Three Caballeros is probably the best known example of animation diplomacy:

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

The end impact through the decades is that Disney has a very strong brand and has became a signifier of wealth (you've "made it" when you can afford to take your kids to Disney World) and a coming-of-age-tradition.

Many Brazilians will walk over broken glass to visit Orlando, and 36% of Brazilians who land in the U.S. are head to Disney World:
https://qz.com/128367/the-happiest-p...of-brazilians/

Disney has hired 50 Portuguese greeters just to keep up with demand:
Video Link

A very interesting book on it by a Brazilian professor from the Federal University of Santa Catarina: https://www.amazon.com/Brazil-United.../dp/1793613281

Brazil, the United States, and the Good Neighbor Policy: The Triumph of Persuasion during World War II is a detailed and comprehensive study of how the U.S. government used movies as part of the Good Neighbor Policy in Brazil during World War II to win the hearts and minds of Brazilians to the Allies’ side. From an insightful analysis of the internal operations of Office of the Coordinator of Inter-American Affairs to a thick description of how audiences reacted to U.S. films, this political and cultural study, based on extensive archives sources, offers a convincing analysis about how U.S. cultural hegemony over Brazil increased as a result of wartime cooperations. -- James N. Green, Brown University

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 8:24 PM

Disney sucks, so bad. I'm so glad my kid isn't into Disney characters.

I pray I get to avoid the child-centric Orlando theme park trips. I'll do a daytrip to Disneyland or something while in Southern CA, but think I would slit my wrists if I had to endure a full week of Orlando theme parks.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
(...)

The end impact through the decades is that Disney has a very strong brand and has became a signifier of wealth (you've "made it" when you can afford to take your kids to Disney World) and a coming-of-age-tradition.

Many Brazilians will walk over broken glass to visit Orlando, and 36% of Brazilians who land in the U.S. are head to Disney World:
https://qz.com/128367/the-happiest-p...of-brazilians/

Disney has hired 50 Portuguese greeters just to keep up with demand:
(...)
That's it. Rather than the old and traditional connection between Disney and Brazil (Sleeping Beauty for instance, was dubbed in Brazilian Portuguese right in its debut with an accent that no longer exists), it's Brazilian middle-class elitism and consumerism the main reason Disney World is an obsession.

This obsession is now renewed and rebranded, with a wave of young Youtubers (of all political colours) selling this Disney dream.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions