HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
You know a company is doing well when you don't like dealing with them but you do anyway! It was a matter of time for this warehouse to be built.
Absolutely, lol. I know how ridiculous my statement sounds.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Absolutely, lol. I know how ridiculous my statement sounds.
I feel the same way about Amazon. Not a big fan, often the purchases I make turn out to not be quite right, but they are so much more convenient than other options that I often buy from them anyway.

I wonder how much better US Amazon is than Canadian Amazon. It seems like Americans get better products on there, although they still have counterfeit problems.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 8:07 PM

Quote:
I feel the same way about Amazon. Not a big fan, often the purchases I make turn out to not be quite right, but they are so much more convenient than other options that I often buy from them anyway.

I wonder how much better US Amazon is than Canadian Amazon. It seems like Americans get better products on there, although they still have counterfeit problems.
I think Amazon in the USA is just more selection and quicker delivery. You can pretty much expect you order including groceries to show up in two days there with Prime due to them using their own delivery system. Even with Prime here, due to outsourcing of shipping, it's still 7-9 days even the fastest items.

A side note, this video shows how their delivery system works in the States. A really interesting watch.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 8:21 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Even with Prime here, due to outsourcing of shipping, it's still 7-9 days even the fastest items.
Around here Prime is often 1-2 days, even less than 24 hours sometimes. The Amazon delivery people are fairly aggressive sometimes and like to find their own way into condo buildings to deliver to everyone at once instead of buzzing to the unit, etc. There are already local warehouses here which I assume have some stock that is shipped locally.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Around here Prime is often 1-2 days, even less than 24 hours sometimes. The Amazon delivery people are fairly aggressive sometimes and like to find their own way into condo buildings to deliver to everyone at once instead of buzzing to the unit, etc. There are already local warehouses here which I assume have some stock that is shipped locally.
Yeah, that brings us around to the Amazon business/employee model again. These guys are under crazy quotas to fulfill with punishments for underperformers.

I wonder now that we're going to have a fulfillment centre if we'll see their internal delivery network in Halifax.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that brings us around to the Amazon business/employee model again. These guys are under crazy quotas to fulfill with punishments for underperformers.
Well, that's what it's like when you work in any organization that isn't government. Amazon doesn't owe anyone a job.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 11:38 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Well, that's what it's like when you work in any organization that isn't government. Amazon doesn't owe anyone a job.
They take it to another level compared to other delivery companies. If UPS or FedEx can't buzz they don't really care and they try again the next day or tell you to pick it up. Amazon delivery people will try to sneak into the building. I also sometimes get called by the delivery people before they are here to ask for directions to my building (a large building which has perfectly fine directions on mapping services) or tell me to come outside or get ready. To be honest it feels kind of unprofessional and it seems like many of them are less experienced. My guess is people in Halifax will soon get to experience all of these joys.

We also have a 1 household at a time in the elevator rule during covid and the delivery people don't always respect that, sometimes also yakking on their phones with no mask. They like to follow people around in the elevators to get to the different floors. I am surprised the busybodies in my building have not revolted against this yet. Maybe they like their Amazon items too much.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 7:15 AM

Ivanhoé Cambridge Sells Mic Mac Mall Near Halifax to Real Estate Firm Eyeing Redevelopment

By Craig Patterson
September 2, 2021

https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...redevelopment/

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Ivanhoé Cambridge Sells Mic Mac Mall Near Halifax to Real Estate Firm Eyeing Redevelopment

By Craig Patterson
September 2, 2021

https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...redevelopment/
I'm assuming the Bay will finally see the end of the tunnel and become residential / condo space. Think they'll keep Winners?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 1:23 PM

Photos of the new Amazon warehouse (Amazon Delivery Station DYH1) in Dartmouth

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...outh-1.6176457

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC View Post
I'm assuming the Bay will finally see the end of the tunnel and become residential / condo space. Think they'll keep Winners?
I hope the Bay doesn't leave - it's nice to have a brick and mortar department store that sells more than low end junk items (Walmart). I've done my share of online shopping during the pandemic and had more disappointments than I care to think about, of items arriving that are damaged, not quite as described, or clothing that does not fit. In some cases returns were such a pain in the ass (or required me to pay shipping) that it wasn't worth my while to send it back, so they went to the 'donate' pile. (/end rant).

I know the Bay won't last if there's not a business case for it, however, but I guess we'll see. Seems like an odd place for residential, but I suppose if a tower was built there the views would be spectacular, even if you are still living in a mall parking lot.

I'm still wondering how they've been allowed to keep the Mic Mac name, and am wondering if that would be the first to go.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Photos of the new Amazon warehouse (Amazon Delivery Station DYH1) in Dartmouth
I have a storage unit just down the street and have watched the construction/renovation progress over the summer as I've driven by it. There was a lot of work going on and it looks like a huge transformation has happened.

I assume we'll be seeing Amazon vans running about in the near future?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 2:07 PM

There may be a possibility of Hudson's Bay moving over to Halifax Shopping Centre in the Eaton's location now that both malls are are managed by the same company for leasing (Cushman & Wakefield).

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 2:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I hope the Bay doesn't leave - it's nice to have a brick and mortar department store that sells more than low end junk items (Walmart). I've done my share of online shopping during the pandemic and had more disappointments than I care to think about, of items arriving that are damaged, not quite as described, or clothing that does not fit. In some cases returns were such a pain in the ass (or required me to pay shipping) that it wasn't worth my while to send it back, so they went to the 'donate' pile. (/end rant).
I agree about the online shopping. I absolutely refuse. My personal trifecta for opposing online shopping is concern over giving out my VISA card information, porch pirates and the hassle over returns.

Quote:
I know the Bay won't last if there's not a business case for it, however, but I guess we'll see. Seems like an odd place for residential, but I suppose if a tower was built there the views would be spectacular, even if you are still living in a mall parking lot.
The last time I was at Mic Mac Mall, the Bay looked really long in the tooth, and I don't think the chain has invested any money in the store in the last 20 years. HBC is still in contraction mode, and I fear that ultimately it will only maintain a presence in the big six or big eight Canadian cities. Since there are only two Bay stores on the east coast, I think supply chain logistics might mean the closure of the store in the near future. I may be wrong, but this is my fear.

Quote:
I still wondering how they've been allowed to keep the Mic Mac name, and am wondering if that would be the first to go.
I personally have no problem with the name, but I have trouble seeing the name lasting much longer (unless the owners can make a case that the mall is named after the nearby lake rather than the Indian tribe). I doubt the aboriginals would buy this however.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 2:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
There may be a possibility of Hudson's Bay moving over to Halifax Shopping Centre in the Eaton's location now that both malls are are managed by the same company for leasing (Cushman & Wakefield).
Interesting thought. That would be a big investment for HBC though. I wonder what the chances of this are?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 2:50 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Interesting thought. That would be a big investment for HBC though. I wonder what the chances of this are?
Would make a lot of sense. HSC is a much stronger mall but perhaps it would be better to redevelop the old Eaton's into more flagship sized retail similar to the Zara, H&M and Apple parts of the mall.

Would be a great space for the likes of modern furniture retailers like EQ3, Crate & Barrel and CB2. I still think Simons would be a great fit too.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 3:28 PM

Quote:
I agree about the online shopping. I absolutely refuse. My personal trifecta for opposing online shopping is concern over giving out my VISA card information, porch pirates and the hassle over returns.
I deal with your first concern by having a card with a very low limit that I only use for online purchases. Porch pirates aren't really a concern in my neighbourhood, or at least they haven't been yet. And... returns...

Quote:
The last time I was at Mic Mac Mall, the Bay looked really long in the tooth, and I don't think the chain has invested any money in the store in the last 20 years. HBC is still in contraction mode, and I fear that ultimately it will only maintain a presence in the big six or big eight Canadian cities. Since there are only two Bay stores on the east coast, I think supply chain logistics might mean the closure of the store in the near future. I may be wrong, but this is my fear.
It's my fear that they are just letting this slide until the writing is on the wall.

Quote:
I personally have no problem with the name, but I have trouble seeing the name lasting much longer (unless the owners can make a case that the mall is named after the nearby lake rather than the Indian tribe). I doubt the aboriginals would buy this however.
The name doesn't bother me either, it's been named that since 1972 (probably named after the lake), but with the political climate of today, I'm surprised that the slang (English) version of the tribe's name hasn't come into the crosshairs yet. It's not a big deal to me either way. In a sense, naming the lake and mall after the tribe was probably an attempt to respect the local indigenous tribe, and perhaps that's why nothing has happened.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 11:11 PM

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohaligo View Post
Thanks for sharing that. Another odd retail strategy from a company that's had more than its share. Hard to imagine how this adds to the Bay store brand. The signage looks decidedly temporary.

Is it a testing of the waters before a possible chain re-launch? Some social media fans are hoping so.

It seems bizarre to see the company describe Zellers as "one of HBC’s most beloved brands", given that they so brutally dispatched the brand just a decade ago (and doomed us to the woeful Target experiment). That the chain's sales and profits went up after HBC announced its demise might have been a clue that the only thing wrong with Zellers was HBC's incompetent management.

Maybe next they could try a Simpsons redux.

In the meantime HBC has unveiled yet another Bay rebrand with no sign they intend to invest a dime to refresh their lone remaining HRM location. Maybe MicMac would be a prime location to test a full Zellers relaunch.

Lunch at the Skillet, anyone?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 5:07 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
Is it a testing of the waters before a possible chain re-launch? Some social media fans are hoping so.
I've got to say... I am old enough to clearly remember Zellers and it is not up there on my retail wish list.

I do have fond memories of the big flea markets that used to be held in places like Downsview or Penhorn, where I would hunt for old electronics and collectibles. I assume these are basically gone now and only got as big as they did because there was no Sunday shopping back then.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General