HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 8:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

[Halifax] North Station (2766 Gladstone) | 27 m | 8 fl | Completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
W.M. Fares is proposing an 8 story unit for 6160 Almon @ Gladstone...

https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...street-halifax
Rendering:

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 2:44 AM

I like this one. There's already enough businesses and services within 200 metres to make this a very convenient and walkable place to live – there's a supermarket, hardware store, liquor store, post office, clinic, multiple pharmacies, dentists, doctors, etc. within a 3-minute walk. Having ground level retail on both sides of Gladstone should make for an interesting mini commercial street.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 9:26 PM

I would like to see townhome or live/work type unites on Gladstone. Its the perfect place for them.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 12:26 PM

Mason is already bloviating on Reddit saying this doesn't comply with the Centre Plan (because it is Too TALL!!!) and hence he will oppose it. Cripes! Let's hope he gets turfed next election.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 8:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Mason is already bloviating on Reddit saying this doesn't comply with the Centre Plan (because it is Too TALL!!!) and hence he will oppose it. Cripes! Let's hope he gets turfed next election.
Shouldn't councillors be following the planning rules that are currently in place instead of a new set of rules? How do developers know what rules to follow? Is it even possible to simultaneously satisfy the old MPS and the Centre Plan? If it's appealed, won't it go to the NSUARB and be judged based on the MPS?

The Centre Plan looks like a mess, judging from the map.

For example there's a big "future growth node" blob around the Canada Post facility that is max 20 m for some reason but then certain plots around its periphery are as high as 62 m, include the Shopper's Drug Mart. North of Young is 50 m+ for some reason but south of Young is 20 m. There's no lowrise residential around there at all (not that it really matters; it's common practice here to put townhouses at the base of 30 storey towers).

Whether a developer is allowed to build 26 m halfway through the lot to Pepperrell or all the way seems to depend solely on if the lot is currently subdivided. Maybe this is just an artifact of picking one value per lot, and those lots that run all the way through will have to step down?

It looks arbitrary and political, probably driven by specific lobbying from property owners, with developers demanding more height and residents demanding less.

Gladstone Ridge is in trouble. That block is max 20 m but those buildings are 12 storeys tall. According to Halifax NIMBY dogma those houses the developer built in front of the highrises should be extremely undesirable (short building next to tall buiding). In the real world, those houses have been selling for around $500,000 each. Apparently these homebuyers did not get the memo!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2019, 1:07 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Shouldn't councillors be following the planning rules that are currently in place instead of a new set of rules? How do developers know what rules to follow? Is it even possible to simultaneously satisfy the old MPS and the Centre Plan? If it's appealed, won't it go to the NSUARB and be judged based on the MPS?

The Centre Plan looks like a mess, judging from the map.

For example there's a big "future growth node" blob around the Canada Post facility that is max 20 m for some reason but then certain plots around its periphery are as high as 62 m, include the Shopper's Drug Mart. North of Young is 50 m+ for some reason but south of Young is 20 m. There's no lowrise residential around there at all (not that it really matters; it's common practice here to put townhouses at the base of 30 storey towers).

Whether a developer is allowed to build 26 m halfway through the lot to Pepperrell or all the way seems to depend solely on if the lot is currently subdivided. Maybe this is just an artifact of picking one value per lot, and those lots that run all the way through will have to step down?

It looks arbitrary and political, probably driven by specific lobbying from property owners, with developers demanding more height and residents demanding less.

Gladstone Ridge is in trouble. That block is max 20 m but those buildings are 12 storeys tall. According to Halifax NIMBY dogma those houses the developer built in front of the highrises should be extremely undesirable (short building next to tall buiding). In the real world, those houses have been selling for around $500,000 each. Apparently these homebuyers did not get the memo!
Great analysis.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 6:38 PM

This is before the Halifax and West Community Council this upcoming week

https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/com...munity-council
https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...21hwcc1311.pdf

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 10:22 PM

Not 100% but I believe the commercial tenants of this property have relocated. An 'Encroachment on ROW" permit was just issued for this site so I assume there will be site prep or demolition in the near future.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 3:08 AM

^Just an update to my earlier post all of the tenants are gone and demolition permits have been issued for this site.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 3:15 AM

Overhead utilities were cut about 2 weeks ago, fencing was put up this week.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 11:48 PM

I drove by this evening and it looked like the existing buildings are now flattened.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 7:23 PM

Excavation under way:

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 3:01 AM

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

North Station Suites

I personally don't count this as the north-end. The triangle of land between Robie - Windsor - Young is midtown or central.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 4:32 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I personally don't count this as the north-end. The triangle of land between Robie - Windsor - Young is midtown or central.
It was not so long ago the North End was a name to distance yourself from, now everyone wants a piece of that North End branding. It’s crazy how some things change.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 4:01 PM
Just 183 km north of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
It was not so long ago the North End was a name to distance yourself from, now everyone wants a piece of that North End branding. It’s crazy how some things change.
As a come from away who bought a home and other real estate in the north end some years back, I endured much ridicule from my 'local' peers having not bought in the 'south end'. My the times have changed! 'Peninsula' is the new 'south end' and eventually this too will change. As one who lives on the peninsula but often crosses the bridges to shop etc. due to better street infrastructure and ease of movement, this change may happen sooner than later.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 5:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_Bane View Post
As a come from away who bought a home and other real estate in the north end some years back, I endured much ridicule from my 'local' peers having not bought in the 'south end'. My the times have changed! 'Peninsula' is the new 'south end' and eventually this too will change. As one who lives on the peninsula but often crosses the bridges to shop etc. due to better street infrastructure and ease of movement, this change may happen sooner than later.
I find the South End to be a mixed bag. A lot of it depends on what you include in what end of town but the areas south of South Street don't have a lot of services or convenient transportation connections and for now the gap is only growing. Consider how much south Queen or Inglis have improved compared to Gottingen or Agricola. Farther south toward Point Pleasant there are probably fewer shops than there were in the 70's and 80's as some convenience type stores have closed down over the years.

The deep South End is ground zero for NIMBYs and they are happy to limit development even if it means the area is so sparse that most people don't have shops and services within walking distance. Their ideal seems to be a detached Victorian house with 2 cars parked in front, with lots of recreational greenspace nearby. I see why this could be attractive from an individual or household perspective but I don't think it scales to the city level.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 8:14 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I find the South End to be a mixed bag. A lot of it depends on what you include in what end of town but the areas south of South Street don't have a lot of services or convenient transportation connections and for now the gap is only growing. Consider how much south Queen or Inglis have improved compared to Gottingen or Agricola. Farther south toward Point Pleasant there are probably fewer shops than there were in the 70's and 80's as some convenience type stores have closed down over the years.

The deep South End is ground zero for NIMBYs and they are happy to limit development even if it means the area is so sparse that most people don't have shops and services within walking distance. Their ideal seems to be a detached Victorian house with 2 cars parked in front, with lots of recreational greenspace nearby. I see why this could be attractive from an individual or household perspective but I don't think it scales to the city level.
One of the decent walkable chunks in South End is Barrington/Inglis/South/South Park. Two grocery stores, pharmacy, auto shop, a couple cafes, a handful of restaurants.

It’s completely different from the North End though — not even close in terms of “buzzy” locations.

West of South Park, South of Inglis, the only thing you can walk to is one of the universities.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 5:15 PM

Updated Rendering

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 6:32 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Instant beautiful render: just spam vegetation.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 1:34 AM

Lots of rock dug up to be trucked away, lots left to dig.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth