HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 3:51 PM

Downtown Halifax Building Height Restriction

Over the summer, I was sitting on citadel hill with a buddy of mine and we both realized we could barely see the harbour anyway. The Aliant Building at the end of Spring Garden blocks the view to the harbour entrance. So I think they should lift the height restriction to allow Halifax to build a few skyscrapers and actually put Halifax on the world map. Toronto has their CN Tower, New York has the Empire State Building, Dubai has their Burj Khalifa, Paris has the eiffel tower, London has Big Ben, hell, even Calgary has the Calgary tower and Seattle has the Columbia Center. I could go on, but why can't Halifax have a building that would make the city recognizable.

It would also bring in a few more tourists.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 3:53 PM

Halifax's tallest building is an apartment building that was formerly a Dalhousie residence, and Fenwick stand at what? 32 floors? That's kinda sad.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 6:00 PM

While I think it's good to talk about this - the time to have considered such a fundamental shift away from what has been a key concept for downtown would've been the regional plan.

Now that we are 5 years into it; we have 20 more to go. That being said - 20 years is a nice long period of time to begin figuring out how to go about doing this; what effects would be created and then how to logicaly and articulatly and ensure we can take down any opposition to the idea.

Personally, I see that in some areas retaining the viewplanes being of value. But there are some areas like the Cogswell lands, where maintaining the rampart heights rule is redundant.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 6:26 PM

I will counter by saying: why does Halifax need a skyscaper to put it on the world map? Quebec City has Old Quebec and Chateau Frontenac; Montreal has Habitat, Old Montreal, and Mount Royal; Ottawa has the Rideau Canal and Parliament; Paris has the Louvre; Toronto has the ROM.

Well I'm not opposed to a signature building, I question the preoccupation on height. I wonder what Freud would say about that?

The Art Gallery of Nova Scotia is looking for a new home. Halifax's signature building could be a modern art gallery on the waterfront.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 7:08 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslath View Post
I will counter by saying: why does Halifax need a skyscaper to put it on the world map? Quebec City has Old Quebec and Chateau Frontenac; Montreal has Habitat, Old Montreal, and Mount Royal; Ottawa has the Rideau Canal and Parliament; Paris has the Louvre; Toronto has the ROM.

Well I'm not opposed to a signature building, I question the preoccupation on height. I wonder what Freud would say about that?

The Art Gallery of Nova Scotia is looking for a new home. Halifax's signature building could be a modern art gallery on the waterfront.
This.

Height is not everything. I don't choose to visit cities because they have tall buildings. I visit cities because they are interesting and have an appealing culture.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 7:53 PM

Height can be a double edged sword. One of the things that many cities have begun to figure out is that they can't fund every possible improvement to the public realm - they don't have the $. So many cities offer a bonusing system where you get a base height by right and then anything more is done through a bonusing system. HbD has done that and it has some good ideas to be able to get public art; but the list could be bigger.

So height is treated as a resource for HRM to leverage improvements that otherwise it may not have the money to do (beyond those which can be funded through general improvement charges or other levies/taxes).

Height is also closely connected to intensity of use. The more intense a property is used, the more property taxes the city earns. I suspect one of the reasons why HRM has money problems is that the amount of money it earns from downtown properties isn't as near as it could be because the intensity of the use of property is capped with height regulations.

Personally, I see a balanced approach. Exempt the cogswell lands from the rampart heights (as high as they can go through bonusing) and then do the same for lands around the citadell but outside the DT for mixed use (Agricola, Quinpool, Robie Corridors and the lands near the Forum). The retain the rampart rule for those sites not in a viewplane, but potentially ditch some viewplanes. Just not sure which ones.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 8:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Height is tied to intensity but often the highrises don't cover a significant portion of their lot, or are surrounded by parking lots or something similar. In Halifax there could be a huge increase in density from lowrise (say, < 12 storey) buildings. I do agree though that the height bonus is a great way to get public amenities. It is built into HbD somewhat but I think they were too conservative.

Personally I don't care that much either way about height. I mostly care about whether new buildings are attractively designed and functional or not.

One thing I do dislike though is when height is disallowed for emotional reasons that are not clearly articulated. Vague sentiment about hating tall buildings and developers has no place in the planning process. Demands for "feel good" regulations like the ramparts bylaws also need to be weighed against their impact in terms of permitted development -- that is a case where the city has imposed far-reaching restrictions in exchange for a very minor supposed heritage benefit. That bylaw should be tossed.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslath View Post
I will counter by saying: why does Halifax need a skyscaper to put it on the world map? Quebec City has Old Quebec and Chateau Frontenac;
Halifax has nothing comparable that is worth protecting.

Quote:
Montreal has Habitat, Old Montreal, and Mount Royal;

Quote:
Ottawa has the Rideau Canal and Parliament;

Quote:
Paris has the Louvre;

Quote:
Toronto has the ROM.

The phobia of some about tall buildings is really quite silly.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The phobia of some about tall buildings is really quite silly.
Let me correct you Keith P.: I'm not against tall buildings. I just question the mentality of building something tall for the sake competing with much larger cities. I was all for the Twisted Sisters... but that has been replaced by Skye. I am all for the King's Wharf signature tower and the Fenwick redevelopment.

You also say Halifax has nothing worth protecting... what about the Hydrostone district? What about the old post office building that is part of AGNS? What about Province House & Government House? Public Gardens? Citadel Hill? Point Pleasant Park?

Dismissing someone by calling them silly is also counterproductive to any discussion.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 3:00 AM

Aside from Citadel Hill, which would serve its greatest benefit to Halifax by being bulldozed and redeveloped, the rest are interesting curiosities that are not threatened in any way by adjacent tall buildings.

I didn't call YOU silly. I called the phobia about height that some people have silly. Do you have a height phobia?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Aside from Citadel Hill, which would serve its greatest benefit to Halifax by being bulldozed and redeveloped, the rest are interesting curiosities that are not threatened in any way by adjacent tall buildings.

I didn't call YOU silly. I called the phobia about height that some people have silly. Do you have a height phobia?
That's some pretty fast backpedaling. This threat is about creating signature buildings and comparisons were made that Halifax needs something tall in order to have a signature building. I want to point out we don't need something tall. I stand by my comment that the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia is looking for a new home. We could create a signature building to house the gallery.

Last edited by jslath; Dec 6, 2011 at 4:30 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 8:23 PM

Considering the height restrictions HRM has - I think we should be clear on the multiple layers that exist:
  • First there is the height restrictions indicated in each zone in the applicable land use bylaw. These can be 'relaxed' through a variance (typically);
  • Then there is height precincts which I believe are only in Halifax (mainland and peninsula) that further restrict height. Once you reach the limit of the precinct, if you wish to exceed it you must go through a development agreement;
  • Height Bands - to my knowledge only one exists, which is Band A along Brunswick Street below citadell hill. As I understand it; it's a hard and fast regulation like a viewplane, you can't exceed it;
  • Rampart rules - so regardless of the zoning/height precincts - if you can go tall, you will be capped (in the downtown area of Halifax) to the rampart height of the citadell;
  • Viewplanes - the designated protected views from viewpoints on Citadell hill and in Dartmouth which further cap height. These are absolute elevations above sea level - cannot be breached for any reason. I believe there is also a viewplane or height restriction around Grande Parade square as well, as I recall this came up with twisted sisters.
So if you thought the viewplanes concept was tough - there is the whole array of height rules. Not all would apply everywhere, but the HRM GIS can show you where the height bands and precincts would be. It's the height precincts that caught the low income housing on Gottingen as one side of the street is capped at 40' and the other at 50'.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 5:00 PM

Hey guys, I don't know where else to put this so I guess I'm just gonna place it here. I'm writing an essay on the topic of development in Halifax - do any of you have any recommendations on books or resources on the benefits of high-rises on cities? Preferably ones I can get at a library or access online. Thanks in advance!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmccabe55 View Post
Hey guys, I don't know where else to put this so I guess I'm just gonna place it here. I'm writing an essay on the topic of development in Halifax - do any of you have any recommendations on books or resources on the benefits of high-rises on cities? Preferably ones I can get at a library or access online. Thanks in advance!
If you're in post-secondary I'd recommend doing a NovaNet search with the following keywords: urban planning, urban design, urban renewal, highrise (or high-rise). Also, the Dal-Sexton library (near Barrington/Spring Garden) specializes in publications related to architecture, urban design, and engineering, so that would be a very good place to start. I wrote my honours thesis on public transit last year and that library was a friggin' goldmine. If you're still in high school I'm not sure you'd be able to access that library, but I'd imagine the public library system would have at least some books on the topic.

Edit: I think I see where you're going with this essay, and you might want to do a little research into other cities that have historically had similar height restrictions to Halifax - Vancouver, Montreal, Philadelphia and San Fran come to mind.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Edit: I think I see where you're going with this essay, and you might want to do a little research into other cities that have historically had similar height restrictions to Halifax - Vancouver, Montreal, Philadelphia and San Fran come to mind.
Thanks for the response. I'm in first year at SMU, and my thesis was "The anti-development argument in Halifax substantiates the culture of defeat in Atlantic Canada" - I was able to use Philadelphia as an example

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 10:15 AM

Nice. What's the class?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 3:52 PM

Making Sense of Atlantic Canada.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 5:50 PM

"The Triumph of the City" by Edward Glaeser was recommended to me but I haven't read it. Looks like it can be found at the SMU library.

"The Making of Hong Kong: From Vertical to Volumetric" by Barrie Shelton has a fair bit about the benefits of density in Hong Kong, although it's not totally tied to building height. Kowloon had a strict blanket height limit for many years due to the old airport, but still had some of the highest densities in the world due to the small unit sizes (my 37 sq. ft. room case in point.) Really interesting book in any case and is held by the Sexton library.

Last edited by alps; Nov 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 7:58 PM

This is an essay by Jane M. Jacobs (not "the" Jane Jacobs, a different one) on what she calls "the fortunes of the highrise". It's theoretical but essentially she is arguing that highrises aren't as bad as anti-modernists make them out to be:
http://lac-repo-live7.is.ed.ac.uk/bi.../jjacob001.pdf

Here's another paper about Taiwan:
http://envplan.com/abstract.cgi?id=d3306

As a counterpoint, DC's extreme height restrictions have been somewhat successful.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
"The Triumph of the City" by Edward Glaeser
This book has been an amazing resource, a million thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues