HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 8:16 PM

Roxborough updates on Ridge Ave

There are a bunch of large scale apartments going up all along Ridge Ave. The ones below are under construction, but there are a lot of recently completed buildings as well that I didn't take pictures of. I'm glad to see it. My guess for all of this construction is because there is more land on Ridge Ave compared to Manayunk? Whatever the reason Roxborough is on the upswing

This whole project is right in between Wawa and Roxborough High School. It's freakishly large (in a good way) for this area.

This is right next to the building above.

Former spot where I use to take my laundry right across the street from the previous buildings. I am very happy to see this old strip mall go.

Former gas station on Ridge and Shurs Lane. I'm not sure what is going up now.

I couldn't get a good shot because I was driving, but this is New Ridge Brewery and it recently opened up.

This is right next to Acme. It was either just recently completed or it's almost done.

A bank was recently demolished and now this is going up.

This building sits in between Ridge and Salaignac. It's very prominent. I took pictures from both streets.

Bonus

I was driving down Umbria and saw this going up across from the Paper Street Pub.

Last edited by Mr. Franks; Mar 4, 2021 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 1:10 AM

wow, that is crazy in terms of the volume of projects up there.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 1:42 AM

Looks like he missed a few projects too. Roxborough is booming for sure.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 2:08 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Franks View Post

Really nice stonework. The windows and the ptac's, not so much.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700 Level View Post
Yes, Inga is terrible. She has a small loyal following that has convinced her that she is brilliant. And she is brilliant - at spending other people's money and practicing NIMBYism. Her writing makes you laugh, so it does have its entertainment value.
Oh fuck off.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 4:52 PM

Roxborough is on fire! Tons of development. I think it's because Manayunk has gotten so pricey, and Chestnut Hill is super pricey, so Roxborough is naturally next on the list, wedged between both of them.

Ridge Avenue already has a nice walkable stretch through Roxborough, so it's nice to see this walkable stretch is probably going to extend in each direction. Tons of nice apartment buildings and mixed-use projects going up and planned.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 4:53 PM

Permits Issued For A 220-Unit Extension At Garden Court Plaza At 4701-29 Pine Street In Garden Court

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/03/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Oh fuck off.

There may have been a much more mature way of handling that, no?

FWIW I somewhat agree with 700. Her good takes are few and far between (though extant).

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 6:48 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Does anyone know what's going on at 11th & Samson?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 7:04 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Philly’s iconic Ben Franklin Parkway to get a major redesign

WHYY

https://whyy.org/articles/phillys-ic...ajor-redesign/

Philadelphia is moving forward on a long-term plan to overhaul much of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway with an eye toward improving access for people walking and biking.

The city released a request for proposals late Thursday seeking consultants for a major redesign of a stretch of the Parkway between Logan Circle and the Philadelphia Art Museum. According to documents obtained by PlanPhilly, the city is seeking designs for “permanent improvements” aimed at making the avenue a more “pedestrian-oriented civic space.”

The joint RFP, filed by the Department of Parks and Recreation, the Office of Transportation Infrastructure and Sustainability and the Mayor’s Fund, calls for a total redo of Eakins Oval –– including the removal of a surface parking lot –– and better infrastructure for public gatherings.
All of it will be driven in part by a public design workshop slated to kick off in June following the selection of a number of qualified design teams.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 7:12 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Plans for new Alexander Calder Museum move Forward

WHYY

https://whyy.org/articles/new-showca...o-the-parkway/

An idea to build a museum on the Ben Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia dedicated to the work of Alexander Calder and the Calder family has been bandied about for 20 years. Now the push for a building for the artist famous for his hanging mobiles has finally gotten traction and is expected to break ground next year.

But don’t call it a museum.

They are calling it a “sanctuary.”

“They” means the philanthropists who have been pushing for a building honoring Calder, and the Calder Foundation. They approached architect Jacques Herzog, of Herzog and de Meuron, to design something closer to a chapel than a museum.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post

WHYY

Philadelphia is moving forward on a long-term plan to overhaul much of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway with an eye toward improving access for people walking and biking.

The city released a request for proposals late Thursday seeking consultants for a major redesign of a stretch of the Parkway between Logan Circle and the Philadelphia Art Museum. According to documents obtained by PlanPhilly, the city is seeking designs for “permanent improvements” aimed at making the avenue a more “pedestrian-oriented civic space.”

The joint RFP, filed by the Department of Parks and Recreation, the Office of Transportation Infrastructure and Sustainability and the Mayor’s Fund, calls for a total redo of Eakins Oval –– including the removal of a surface parking lot –– and better infrastructure for public gatherings.
All of it will be driven in part by a public design workshop slated to kick off in June following the selection of a number of qualified design teams.
We NEED a subway down the Parkway.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
If only there was a tunnel already dug that ran along Pennsylvania Ave and could link the parkway with the Broad Street Line...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 7:29 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Façade Work Wraps Up At Wharton Flats In Passyunk Square at 1283 S. 9th Street

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/03/faca...ladelphia.html
I walked by this site in person, looks nice and a huge improvement for that intersection! Glad its mostly brick.

Quote:

WHYY

An idea to build a museum on the Ben Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia dedicated to the work of Alexander Calder and the Calder family has been bandied about for 20 years. Now the push for a building for the artist famous for his hanging mobiles has finally gotten traction and is expected to break ground next year.

“They” means the philanthropists who have been pushing for a building honoring Calder, and the Calder Foundation. They approached architect Jacques Herzog, of Herzog and de Meuron, to design something closer to a chapel than a museum.
I am so happy this project is still moving forward, and long awaited!

And the Parkway overhaul, expansion of the Art Museum galleries and renovation of the former Embassy Suites hotel into apartments is all good news for the Parkway.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 7:32 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
If only there was a tunnel already dug that ran along Pennsylvania Ave and could link the parkway with the Broad Street Line...
Damn something like a "City branch" Crazy name crazy idea. what is this the 1800's when we actually liked Subways?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
HAHA! I was gonna say... the City Branch would work nicely!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 7:44 PM

Quote:

WHYY

Quote:

WHYY

Superb news on all fronts!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 7:46 PM

147-Unit, Mixed-Use Project Rising in Kensington

Current progress:

Current progress:

Rendering:

Rendering:

Aerial Rendering:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/147-uni...in-kensington/

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
147-Unit, Mixed-Use Project Rising in Kensington

Current progress:

Current progress:

Rendering:

Rendering:

Aerial Rendering:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/147-uni...in-kensington/
Love this one. This whole area of Kensington is going to be something else eventually. Between developments around 4th/5th and Cecil B. and the stuff going in on American, the whole stretch from 5th-Front is going to blend right into Fishtown

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleetMcDougle View Post
Love this one. This whole area of Kensington is going to be something else eventually. Between developments around 4th/5th and Cecil B. and the stuff going in on American, the whole stretch from 5th-Front is going to blend right into Fishtown
I agree that this is another really good development and the area can really use more density. However I would be hesitant that the neighborhood could be "something" "eventually". The neighborhood for decades has been a center for Philadelphia's Puerto Rican community and I fear that gentrification spilling over from Fishtown will erase that. I am by no means anti development because this location is near the El so can be very dense and adding housing units can actually stabalize rising rents. I wish there could be a way to strengthen the Puerto Rican community while adding the density.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development