HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 1:18 PM
Ignore these four words.

It's been too long that this piece of land has been sitting there empty with proposal after proposal. Let's get 'er done.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
From what I've been reading in news articles in recent years, it sounds like the city is really hard up for industrial land inventory... so on some level it makes sense to zone that area for some form of light industrial, i.e. maybe not steel mills, but warehouses/service centres and the like.
This is correct. Only 14% of industrial land in Winnipeg is vacant, and even a smaller proportion of that is serviced. My guess is that the availability of vacant and serviced industrial land is too fragmented to accommodate some existing industrial operations that want to expand or large industrial operations that want to locate to Winnipeg.

Whether we should prevent residential/commercial in this particular area and instead allow industrial is a different matter. At the end of the day, if you don't allow this infill to occur, there's a chance it may occur elsewhere - after all, if the private sector sees an opportunity on this land, why wouldn't they see it in another area?

Alternatively, it might be wise to begin servicing other vacant lands in Winnipeg (e.g. CentrePort) so that this land, closer to downtown, can be used for more efficient purposes.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Just curious... they ARE going to fix up Marion before adding in a bunch of new development, right? Or should people start investing in stilts and segways, to get past the mess in order to reach this new development?
Nah the NIMBY's keep kyboshing any plans for Merion. Let it rot.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 4:13 PM

Regarding the neighbours. I mentioned this earlier. CN/CP autoport is located on the property. They're doing upgrades again. If someone wants them to move out, they'll need to pony up some cash. 10's of millions.

We'll see what comes of this plan, but good to see it's still progressing forward.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Regarding the neighbours. I mentioned this earlier. CN/CP autoport is located on the property. They're doing upgrades again. If someone wants them to move out, they'll need to pony up some cash. 10's of millions.

We'll see what comes of this plan, but good to see it's still progressing forward.
Besides the Autoport being there, the CN Paddington yard next to it is the major interchange point with rail traffic with CP.

With the sugar beat spur in Ft Garry severed west of Waverly the chance of moving the interchange point to lands in the FT. Garry industrial park are gone. Some of "refinery district" land could have been used for the interchange yard.

The only other connection in Winnipeg between CN and CP I can think of would be via the BN tracks in River Heights /West End and I don't think the extra rail traffic blocking the major roads would go over to well with the residents. Also the noise from the BN yards and sight of rail cars would not go over well.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 11:43 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Nah the NIMBY's keep kyboshing any plans for Merion. Let it rot.
Stilts and Segways it is!

Seriously though, the least they could do is open access somewhere down Archibald. This new development won't even have a direct road to Windsor Park... it's stupid. Whats the point of building a "walkable, green community" if they won't even connect it to the areas around it? Unless these planners would rather have everyone take a stroll along the shoulder of Lagimodiere... if they can't connect roads, at LEAST build some pedestrian bridges and stuff. It's the least they should do.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 4:07 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
From what I've been reading in news articles in recent years, it sounds like the city is really hard up for industrial land inventory... so on some level it makes sense to zone that area for some form of light industrial, i.e. maybe not steel mills, but warehouses/service centres and the like.
How can the city be hard up for industrial land? Near Centerport I can see it but the St. B industrial park has so much unused and derelict land that it seems to me that it's not a matter of land per se but a lack of greenfield sites.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 7:06 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
How can the city be hard up for industrial land? Near Centerport I can see it but the St. B industrial park has so much unused and derelict land that it seems to me that it's not a matter of land per se but a lack of greenfield sites.
Explains why the surrounding RM's are making so much bank, with what should be Winnipegs jobs and tax base... well, they could still try and repurpose some other parts of the city, that or try a land annex and NOT immediately zoning it for suburnan low density residential, or maybe some tax relief...? Small business grants, perhaps?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
You might be right, I'm just telling you what I've read. I'm not familiar with St. B industrial park but I do understand that a lot of the city's industrial areas have an older building stock with a lot of 60s/70s construction that is not really appropriate for today's needs.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 3:53 PM

The City is. The City itself. This land is owned by a private company which the City doesn't control beyond the zoning and secondary plan type stuff.

The City has some land left in the St Boniface industrial park. But beyond that they don't have very much of anything. Should the City even be involved in developing land such as this, is this question.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 5:50 PM

Prevent residential development from happening here will put pressure on more/new development elsewhere in the City of Winnipeg. Allow residential development here will just lead to more industrial development outside of the City of Winnipeg. Remember, residential generally requires good municipal services. Demand for industrial generally doesn't. The surrounding RM's aren't going to be able to provide services better than the City any time soon.

On it's own merits, this is a terrible place to put residential development, as it is literally hemmed in by railways on three sides. But beyond that, in the long term, this proposal will bring into question how serious is the City of Winnipeg is about keeping industrial jobs inside city limits.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 10:43 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
The City is. The City itself. This land is owned by a private company which the City doesn't control beyond the zoning and secondary plan type stuff.

The City has some land left in the St Boniface industrial park. But beyond that they don't have very much of anything. Should the City even be involved in developing land such as this, is this question.
Ah, good point. I hadn't considered that. I know that Terracon BP is getting near full occupancy (well, for the part they've serviced, anyway) but yes, of course that's a private development for the time being. That being said, the city doesn't usually develop land at all, does it? I mean, as a corporate developer I've never heard of it but I'm also no expert on the matter. I would have assumed they simply have what's either unused, abandoned or undeveloped by private developers. As such I would have thought that the city would never have an abundance of industrial land by design.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Stilts and Segways it is!

Seriously though, the least they could do is open access somewhere down Archibald. This new development won't even have a direct road to Windsor Park... it's stupid. Whats the point of building a "walkable, green community" if they won't even connect it to the areas around it? Unless these planners would rather have everyone take a stroll along the shoulder of Lagimodiere... if they can't connect roads, at LEAST build some pedestrian bridges and stuff. It's the least they should do.
If the City hopes to make viable use of this land that MUST complete the infrastructure of the development first, by getting in the ground sewer, water, electrical, streets and overpasses to accommodate the development for the area.
None of that bullshit that Council pulled off in yesteryear will work anymore in today's marketplace. IE. Southdale and Island Lakes, start building house and bring in services while waiting to see if it will sell. Then they built Bishop Grandin (2 lanes), waited a few more years before building the other two lanes and then built a bridge over the Red and found a place for the road to go, BUT left the Lagimodiere end DEAD ENDED with little place to go.

As other people have mentioned, the two streets they are putting in the area, actually go nowhere and serve no useful purpose in taking traffic somewhere. Access to Archibald is a given, access to the South to Elizabeth Rd and Maginot is a must, Dawson Road access over the Paddington track is a must.

The bone of contention for the entire development is the railways and always has been since opening up the west. They have been given carte blanche to do whatever they want and have ridden roughshod over all THE PEOPLE'S plans for development. A look at any map will tell you that you have the Soo Line on the west, CN on the east, CN/ CP Paddington on the South, and a pinch point of all three to the North of Marion that squeeze the Jesus out of the acceptable traffic levels in that area. The Railways are cheap son-of-a-bitches and sit back on their laurels padding their pocketbooks saying, 'we were here first, we have the right-a-way, what are you going to do for us, first'! It's about time that Paddington Yards were moved along with the Autoport, formally used to unload the manure out of the cattle cars and pushed into the swamp area to the South of the Union Stockyards cattle sheds, in other words, a stinking dump and cesspool of railway bullshit.

Can this development justifiably support residential and industrial development and can they co-exist? Look at the St.Boniface Industrial Park for your answer. They have light industrial with a grouping of Apartments and housing to the North East abutting Transcona's Plessis Road suburban development from 1978. If the railways continue to exist, a buffering strip of 4 or 5 storey apartments with some multi-housing next to clean light industry and commercial shopping centre would be suitable and acceptable for the area. Local bussing would be a must and as suggested pedestrial corridors to outlying amenities.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 4:21 PM

Next round of review for the packer lands before the City. If you look through the docs there are some drawings of what the proposed site would look like. Including building locations.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...00605(RM)RC-31

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 4:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Next round of review for the packer lands before the City. If you look through the docs there are some drawings of what the proposed site would look like. Including building locations.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...00605(RM)RC-31
Packer lands have only been available since 1987 so what's the rush!

Shift the Polo Park/Old Winnipeg stadium development proposal to the packer lands and no one blinks an eye!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan