HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 9:16 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Crestford is having problems... the YSL site has been abandoned, not sure about 33 Yorkville and Halo on Yonge. Clover seems to be still working hard.
Sad about that tower. - This virus is destroying everything.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Sad about that tower. - This virus is destroying everything.
Cresford was already in trouble before the virus. Now I'm sure its even worse.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 9:14 PM

It has hit the fan - nothing seen on YSL though

https://www.pwc.com/ca/en/services/i...yorkville.html

Quote:
The Receiver understands that the Cresford Group entered into pre-construction unit purchase contracts with numerous persons in respect of the Clover, Halo and 33 Yorkville projects. No decisions have been made in respect of these contracts. Persons who made pre-construction purchases of units in the projects are asked to e-mail the Receiver at project.yorkville@pwc.com, with details of your contract and your contact details. In due course once decisions have been made on the path forward for each of the projects, you will be contacted by the Receiver regarding the status of these contracts. Further information will be made available on the status of the receiverships on this website as it becomes available.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 9:43 PM

That's too bad, I really liked that tower.

source: urbantoronto.ca

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 10:21 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Yea, I passed by the "Halo" project, it's empty...and I'm not sure about the "Clover on Yonge" project but it looks a bit more complete then it did last week.

I didn't bother checking on YSL, despite passing by it. Just forgot.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 7:34 PM

It would be nice to see a new design for it though, it doesn't even need to be as tall.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 12:28 AM
I am the law!

Cresford is bailing out. What a joke. I hope they get these guys. I'm sure they are well cushioned from these developments.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 8:24 PM
ARTchitecture

Since the cladding STILL isn't done I might as well post these here...

Took em last week.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 8:26 PM
Community Guy

Uber cool.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 8:51 PM
I am the law!

The last one just oozes quality.

Trudeau's pledge to bring Canadian phone and data rates in line with countries 20 times denser will hollow out Telus' offices here and destroy Canadian produced telecommunication technology

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post

Trudeau's pledge to bring Canadian phone and data rates in line with countries 20 times denser will hollow out Telus' offices here and destroy Canadian produced telecommunication technology

How so? Australia which I think you can agree is about as sparsley populated as Canada if not more but there cell phone rates our nearly half ours. Not only do the 10 GB plans cost almost half as much as they do in Canada, but they even offer packages for up to 90 GB at reasonable prices too. The cell phone companies in Australia are doing just fine.

The One poured it's ground floor slab last week and is now back on hold due to Covid. There are a few workers still on site but the work they are doing must be considered essential I assume to help wrap up work and secure what has been done for the stoppage.

sopurce: urbantoronto.ca

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 8:13 PM

Quote:

I’d like to see proof of that. Telecom companies are naturally going to play that line of reasoning but that doesn’t make it true.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 11:27 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
How so? Australia which I think you can agree is about as sparsley populated as Canada if not more but there cell phone rates our nearly half ours. Not only do the 10 GB plans cost almost half as much as they do in Canada, but they even offer packages for up to 90 GB at reasonable prices too. The cell phone companies in Australia are doing just fine.
Agree 100%. People latch on to ideas that have no basis in fact because it sounds good in their head. The reality is that our telecom industry is a monopoly and the incumbents (Bell, Rogers, Telus) have, thus far, successfully blocked the introduction of any real competition. For those who don't know, those 3 own other brands like Koodo, Fido, Solo, Virgin, etc. so it appears like we have lots of competition but we don't.

Canada has obscenely high telecom rates compared to the rest of the world. We're being gouged and have been for decades. I paid $35 Australian for a month and received unlimited data, 500 free minutes of international calling, unlimited local calls, unlimited texts, etc. Canadian telecom fees are massively out of whack with what one sees elsewhere. It's not close at all.

Last edited by isaidso; Apr 8, 2020 at 11:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 4:17 PM
I am the law!

You're the all time best customer for latching onto ideas that have no basis in fact that sound good. You obviously have never seen the margin to brashly proclaim that Canadian telecom is rolling in dough because Australia rates are lower. Unlike you, i'm not going to delve any deeper in Australia because I have no clue how they do it. I've actually seen the numbers for Canada. There's no room in providing the level of service we have across Canada and reduce rates to the level of Europe (-25%) without serious cuts in research and development, the level of service throughout Canada and/or, the labour force. The irony is your one of the biggest proponents of home grown industry. The effect of opening up the market to greater competition will be great for only the densest urban centres of the country but will come at a huge cost to the rest of the country.

It's stating the obviously we pay the highest rates and that there isn't room for improvement. This is government interference at the highest form to buy votes. They don't have a clue what they are doing or care to work out solutions to lower these costs without destroying the domestic industry.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Apr 9, 2020 at 4:27 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 4:26 PM

Quote:
You're the all time best customer for latching onto ideas that have no basis in fact that sound good. You obviously have never seen the margin to brashly proclaim that Canadian telecom is rolling in dough because Australia rates are lower. Unlike you, i'm not going to delve any deeper in Australia because I have no clue how they do it.

And yet here you are going on about Trudeau's pledge to bring Canadian phone and data rates in line with countries 20 times denser, yet you conveniently leave out countries more similar in size and density. For companies like Rogers, Bell, and Telus you are the perfect customer.

Why is everybody discussing long distance rates in the 10 tallest thread anyway?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 4:32 PM

My rate is $48 for unlimited country wide service.

My project delayed grief is One Delisle.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 8:03 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
you're the ....
Buzz off troll

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 8:44 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agree 100%. People latch on to ideas that have no basis in fact because it sounds good in their head. The reality is that our telecom industry is a monopoly and the incumbents (Bell, Rogers, Telus) have, thus far, successfully blocked the introduction of any real competition. For those who don't know, those 3 own other brands like Koodo, Fido, Solo, Virgin, etc. so it appears like we have lots of competition but we don't.

Canada has obscenely high telecom rates compared to the rest of the world. We're being gouged and have been for decades. I paid $35 Australian for a month and received unlimited data, 500 free minutes of international calling, unlimited local calls, unlimited texts, etc. Canadian telecom fees are massively out of whack with what one sees elsewhere. It's not close at all.
Just to clarify, are you alleging that the three main carriers are engaging in illegal collusion (aka that they've formed a cartel?) That would be the only way in which an industry consisting of several large players who generally are all distributed across the market would be referred to as a monopoly. Otherwise it would be called an oligopoly. Without forming a cartel, an oligopoly does have competition. It isn't the same type of "perfect" competition as when you have nothing but price takers supplying non-differentiated products (commodities) but that wouldn't change with an increase in the number of players. If there is a cartel operating in an environment where that's illegal, generally the preferred remedy is to enforce the laws set up to prevent non-competitive behaviour.

There are many cases where an industry is either a natural monopoly or oligopoly due to barriers to entry. This is definitely the case with regard to mobile service since it requires a huge investment in time and money to create the physical infrastructure and there is only so much network traffic to serve and customers available, so having many companies building parallel networks doesn't tend to be feasible. Therefore, in order for new companies to get involved they have to purchase network access from the owners of the existing infrastructure.

One way to deal with this is for the government to create the infrastructure and sell access to the companies so that the infrastructure is a public good in the way that most roads are. Other than that, you can either force companies to sell network access to other companies using regulation, or rely on them deciding for themselves when/if it's profitable for them to do so. If you decide to force them to sell access to other carriers, I'm not sure it makes sense to force them to sell it to competing companies in the hope that this will lower prices because a) one of then main ways that carriers can potentially compete is through the quality and coverage of their networks and b) if the competitors pay enough to the infrastructure owning carriers for it to be profitable it won't lower prices, and if they don't you dis-incentivize investment in wireless infrastructure since it will be co-opted by competitors to be used against them.

The real take away is that even though people latch on to ideas like "more competition will always lower prices", in reality whether there is a smaller or larger number of competitors there is still competition. There are lots of factors that affect prices (certainly more than just population density) and there's no evidence that prices will fall with a 6
member oligopoly compared to 3. Just like whether a race car driver is racing against 2 competitors or 6 competitors they still have competition and still have an incentive to go as fast as possible.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 11:24 PM

Folks, can we please keep the discussion in this thread about skyscrapers.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 9:33 PM

Man did Telus Sky turn out well! sadly that's the last Calgary entry in here for the foreseeable future, was a pretty damn good run though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada