HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 3:07 PM

Always found it surpising that they didn't make the either the Winners at OC or the Marshalls further south on Kenaston a dual store with HomeSense like at KP.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The maternity market is an odd thing. People have babies literally all the time. But there is barely any stores with real selection.
With an ever increasing obese population more women’s store carry plus size apparel so it’s easier than ever before to find clothes that fit that aren’t maternity specific at mainstream retail.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
http://mccor.ca/

Website says that McCor also manages 330 Portage (former Bank of Montreal, former NewPort Centre) and the Paris bldg.
McCor Property management is the new name for NewWest Enterprise Property Group which had already been managing 330 Portage for a number of years.

NewWest merged with another property management company to form McCor.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
With an ever increasing obese population more women’s store carry plus size apparel so it’s easier than ever before to find clothes that fit that aren’t maternity specific at mainstream retail.
Not just plus sized women's clothing but I would guess that fast fashion like H&M, Old Navy, etc play into it too where someone can buy something and wear it a few times and it not break the bank going up a size or two from their non-pregnant clothing size. Larger sizing in things like t-shirts, hoodies, etc that aren't really gendered must cut into that same market.

Definitely not an expect on maternity clothing but I would guess there are very limited clothing items that are maternity specific that could not easily be replaced with something having a broader market.

For what's it worth, people that are reasonably in the know tell my Destination Motherhood, the other big Canadian maternity clothing chain is also in trouble and might be closing. Honestly I am not overly surprised and the person doesn't have reason to mislead on this but also not sure how good their information source is. Similar to how I had heard whispers for months that Addition Elle was restructuring.

Speaking of whispers, Master Toys might be one retailer struggling with the current situation.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
As a huskier man who needs XL or 2XL, good luck..Either next to nothing low end or very high end. Plus the sizes on many labels are Asian sizes so for example..Le Chateau, International Male.. 2 x is like a medium or large ..Unless a dress shirt or the occasional suit, not much @ The bay for years either. yes, I like shopping there but not much for me...George R & Big & Tall are usually quit expensive for casual mid dress ware.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
As a huskier man who needs XL or 2XL, good luck..Either next to nothing low end or very high end. Plus the sizes on many labels are Asian sizes so for example..Le Chateau, International Male.. 2 x is like a medium or large ..Unless a dress shirt or the occasional suit, not much @ The bay for years either. yes, I like shopping there but not much for me...George R & Big & Tall are usually quit expensive for casual mid dress ware.
I need 2XL sizes and it is always difficult to find. Everyone has S, M and L. A good amount of XL but not as much as the smaller sizes, but very few if any 2 or 3 or more XL clothes.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
you can order from Uniqlo online, they carry 2XL sizes, stores end at XL, I did see 4XL in some Tokyo stores. For Uniqlo I prefer the 2XL t shirts but the XL sweatshirts and hoodies fit well. Muji clothes are just not the right size lol, they stop at 34 waist and XL is about as big as they go and their XL is more of a L.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 2:57 PM
What could go wrong?

"Parent Companies for Jack & Jones, Bootlegger, Cleo, and Ricki's File for Bankruptcy Protection in Canada"

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...Retailinsider=
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
"Parent Companies for Jack & Jones, Bootlegger, Cleo, and Ricki's File for Bankruptcy Protection in Canada"

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...Retailinsider=
At the rate things are going, Costco, Walmart and Amazon are going to be the only places left to shop for clothes...

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:47 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
At the rate things are going, Costco, Walmart and Amazon are going to be the only places left to shop for clothes...
In the case of Bootlegger - I usually buy jeans from them - but the most recent purchase (pre-COVID) I went straight to the manufacturer (Silver) and bought them online.

I think this is the reality for a lot of the stores that carry various brands of clothes - but do not actually manufacture them. It's gonna be a tough couple years for these types of stores.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 4:44 PM

I had no idea Ricki's was from Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
In the case of Bootlegger - I usually buy jeans from them - but the most recent purchase (pre-COVID) I went straight to the manufacturer (Silver) and bought them online.

I think this is the reality for a lot of the stores that carry various brands of clothes - but do not actually manufacture them. It's gonna be a tough couple years for these types of stores.
The writing's been on the wall for some time for these types. With new DTC brands popping up everyday, and big companies like Nike now having strong online stores, resellers are not going to survive. Last year Nike announced they were significantly rolling back the amount of distribution they do through third party retailers (Sport Chek, Hudson's Bay, etc) all over the world.

The challenge of manufactureres going online is excacerbated by the fact many of them puts strict rules on what their resellers can even do for online marketing. For example, Under Armour doesn't allow authorized resellers to bid on any brand or trademarked words in search marketing, and has strict rules on how they can post and target on social media. Makes it very difficult for small businesses that have been resellers for decades.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Just what the billionaires want.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Always found it surpising that they didn't make the either the Winners at OC or the Marshalls further south on Kenaston a dual store with HomeSense like at KP.
Someone should call HomeSense real estate office and tell them there is a F21 Red sized hole in the Outlet Collection...

--

In terms of the bankruptcies yesterday 16 locations are likely to close. A very dark day of retail.

CF Polo Park - Cleo, Rickis, Bootlegger, Jack & Jones, Vera Moda
Kenaston Common - Cleo, Rickis
ST Vital Centre - Cleo, Rickis, Bootlegger
Kildonan Place - Cleo, Rickis
Garden City - Rickis
Shoppers Mall (Brandon) - Cleo, Rickis, Bootlegger

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 3:35 PM

It doesn't mean they will all close. They filed for bankruptcy protection and will do what is necessary to stay afloat.

In terms of malls and such still requiring rents be paid. So they require stores pay their rent. Stores go bankrupt and close. Properties empty out. It seems counteractive to their best interests long term. Why not play nice while the stores are legally obligated to be closed.

I get the landlords want there money. But then tenants close and they have no income, now what? Nobody is going to magically fill that void anytime soon. Tony Romas for example. They have a purpose built location on nairn and now closed. The owner needs to fill that void as they have no income coming back in. makes zero sense.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 4:16 PM

Comark (Cleo, Ricki's, & Bootlegger) makes it fairly clear they are unlikely to stay in business. They are seeking an investor/buyer to take them on as a going concern.

If you are planning to continue as a going concern you don't announce as part of the bankruptcy filing that you are looking for a buyer.

--

In terms of rent it is more complex that landlords being jerks when tenants cannot pay during the pandemic. If the tenant is leasing space from a landlord that has a mortgage on the property those mortgage payments aren't being forgiven.

The other consideration here is most of the retailers that are closing up due to the pandemic were in trouble and struggling long before the pandemic hit. They were the business version of someone living paycheck to paycheck.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 4:19 PM

It goes all the way down the line. If your force people to pay rent. mortgages whatever, and they cant pay, then you have no income. regardless of whether you're the owner, the bank, whomever. If the banks want to prey on people and take over their properties, then that's where we're at. Government forcing people to close their businesses and/or hand them to the banks.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 9:24 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

What is the easiest way to purchase a current model webcam.

Today I went online to both Best Buy and Staples.ca in search of one that'll work on my Fedora 29 Linux system.

Both online stores say they're out of stock in store and in the warehouse.

So being the curious type and assuming they're lying and trying to push people to shop online, I went to the Portage Pl Staples. Security guard at the Staples store won't let people past. Says "what are you here for?"
"I'm shopping for a webcam". He says "we don't have any in stock. Go check The Source."

Don't anything fancy. Just something to do YouTube videos with. I don't do video podcasts. Just something to do the occasional video with and "just in case" at some future time IF the virus thing continues next fall and we have Lockdown 2..0.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 9:29 PM

^ Might be easiest to go into a big box store like Walmart. They won't have the greatest selection but they'll probably have something at a reasonable price. If you don't mind online shopping, Amazon.ca would also be a good bet.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 9:36 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Yeah, I'll give that a try. Didn't think of that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan