HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 1:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Just got put on hiatus last Friday from my job, will be going back in September.

Now I have to supposedly create a garden or some shit, as mandated by wife.

Also, I saw that Scooby movie with my kids just to ogle Linda Cardellini.
Quote:
just to ogle Linda Cardellini.
There is something really appealing about that woman.

gfycat

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 2:13 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Just got put on hiatus last Friday from my job, will be going back in September.

Now I have to supposedly create a garden or some shit, as mandated by wife.

Also, I saw that Scooby movie with my kids just to ogle Linda Cardellini.

We are creating a very small garden, but clearing weeds and other growy things is painful. Almost done. It's only three feet by six feet maybe, but when it's never been garden before there's a lot of stuff to clear.

I've already seen that Scooby movie. Might be worth a rewatch though.

I've been playing a lot of guitar which has been nice. Reading some books, but I always do that. I'm thankful to still be working, but I might be on leave for a bit soon as contracts are slow developing. There's lots of work around, but logistics for some things are trickier.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 2:58 PM

I am currently rewatching my favorite bad Nic Cage movies! It is a hilarious experience!

Face Off was actually better than I remembered it and also had pure Travolta hamminess as well.

Wicker Man was terrible yet funny (he just cannot get over his truck hallucinations)

IT GOT BURNED!!!

Keep on truckin Nic

Best scene in the entire film

Left Behind was an atrocity and was way too boring and preachy for my taste

Rewatching USS Indianapolis Men Of Courage (which if I recall correctly was horrid) soon!

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
There is something really appealing about that woman.

gfycat
Indeed

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 7:10 PM

I’ve been in Singapore since early March. Normally, I work there two days a week as a pediatric surgeon. With the COVID shutdown, two of my business partners decided to declare force majeure and not work leaving one other partner and myself to cover all surgeries at a hospital. That has meant alternating 12 hour shifts everyday since. The good news is that not only have no surgeries been cancelled, we have pulled forward a few electives and taken some burden from other hospitals. I’m likely stuck here until the end of June as my contract goes until then and I will not breach. Plus, if I went back to Perth I’d be stuck in isolation for 14 days, which would be a waste. Otherwise, I’ve been seeing some patients in Aus as part of the rural web-medicine initiative, and reviewing due diligence documents for investment proposals back in the US. I stay in the resident’s room at the hospital so expenses have been virtually nil, which is an upside. I hate to know how much weight I’ve gained, but suspect it’s at least 40 lbs.

My kids have been free range with their mother swamped with work. I’m sure I’ll be facing some big time work around home when I get home. They posted a video of them and some friends jumping off the roof onto the trampoline and then into the pool.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 9:42 PM

^ You have the most interesting life, Doug!

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I'm not going to lie, until Covid and working from home (now turning into a fit drunk unemeployed at home) I had never heard of ZOOM.
I had used Zoom quite a bit before the pandemic, because of one my company’s US-based vendors uses it for their meetings with my group.

The one I’d never heard of before the pandemic was Microsoft Teams. Bill Gates mentioned it one night on CNN and it seemed overnight everyone was using MS Teams.

Amazing how Bill Gates can still sell Microsoft products even after he’s no longer part of the company.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 11:58 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

For me, I'm getting serious about orchestral composition again, "serious" because I have had too many unfinished pieces as they all hit some kind of dead end. Besides that, I try to get some highway design done under swimmer_spe's guidance. Then, every now and then, I drive up to Waubaushene and Port Severn to see Lake Huron.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I had used Zoom quite a bit before the pandemic, because of one my company’s US-based vendors uses it for their meetings with my group.

The one I’d never heard of before the pandemic was Microsoft Teams. Bill Gates mentioned it one night on CNN and it seemed overnight everyone was using MS Teams.
Amazing how Bill Gates can still sell Microsoft products even after he’s no longer part of the company.
Teams is a rebrand of Skype for Business.

Many organizations have banned Zoom due to poor encryption, its reliance on China domiciled servers and other security concerns. The Australian government won't touch it. I've had several US based companies decline Zoom meetings due to security. I have no idea if the concerns are legit or fearing mongering by competitors.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 12:32 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post

Many organizations have banned Zoom due to poor encryption, its reliance on China domiciled servers and other security concerns. The Australian government won't touch it. I've had several US based companies decline Zoom meetings due to security. I have no idea if the concerns are legit or fearing mongering by competitors.
News had it that some Christians in China were using Zoom for a church service on Easter's Sunday. Next thing they knew, police came storming in the location. There must be some truth to the security concern.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 4:19 AM

Quote:

Teams and Slack are both much better products than Zoom, IMO. My company uses all 3, but we've definitely been gravitating more to Teams lately.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
Teams and Slack are both much better products than Zoom, IMO. My company uses all 3, but we've definitely been gravitating more to Teams lately.
Microsoft seems to be moving towards a comprehensive collaboration solution with Teams, Azure, OneDrive, Azure DevOps Server (horrible name), GitHub, Office365 and LinkedIn. Atlassian, Cisco, etc. could be in for some intense competition. Most likely Microsoft is trying to use its collaboration tools to push people towards Azure, so the real targets are AWS and GCP.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 1:13 PM

Teams is one of the best products Microsoft has put forward in some time. Better video calling then Skype, better integration with meetings/calls then Outlook + Skype, much easier to get started with than Slack once the entire company directory is already at your fingertips. I thought having 3 people working simultaneously on an excel file would never work, but with how you can actually open the file in the desktop app and autosave to the version on Teams is a life saver. No more waiting on someone to get out of the file or having 3 different versions with each person's initials floating around waiting to get consolidated.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 1:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

haven't tried Teams. Skype is utter shite. Beyond terrible. And it never seems to improve (I've been using it for at least a dozen years, and it is possibly shittier than it was when it first was introduced).
Zoom is functional and has some merits, but also many shortcomings. It is far better than Skype (not sure about how secure Skype is relative to Zoom, which is the latter's biggest shortcoming).

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
haven't tried Teams. Skype is utter shite. Beyond terrible. And it never seems to improve (I've been using it for at least a dozen years, and it is possibly shittier than it was when it first was introduced).
Zoom is functional and has some merits, but also many shortcomings. It is far better than Skype (not sure about how secure Skype is relative to Zoom, which is the latter's biggest shortcoming).
Skype, I call it shite! It is so wretched it's not even funny. Always lags, never works, It's the Windows XP of video call platforms.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Teams is one of the best products Microsoft has put forward in some time. Better video calling then Skype, better integration with meetings/calls then Outlook + Skype, much easier to get started with than Slack once the entire company directory is already at your fingertips. I thought having 3 people working simultaneously on an excel file would never work, but with how you can actually open the file in the desktop app and autosave to the version on Teams is a life saver. No more waiting on someone to get out of the file or having 3 different versions with each person's initials floating around waiting to get consolidated.
I have never tried Teams, I might have too. All my family meetings and work stuff are Zoom.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 3:00 PM
sick transit, gloria

We are pretty much exclusively working out of teams right now and for the most part it's great. The laptop they managed to scrounge up for me at the last minute is pretty terrible but manages with Teams for the most part - I'm able to add stuff to excel files that crash when I'm using the application off the computer itself. I use my work phone for most meetings though, as it actually supports the Teams app.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
We are pretty much exclusively working out of teams right now and for the most part it's great. The laptop they managed to scrounge up for me at the last minute is pretty terrible but manages with Teams for the most part - I'm able to add stuff to excel files that crash when I'm using the application off the computer itself. I use my work phone for most meetings though, as it actually supports the Teams app.
Teams as a platform is my favourite, but I’ve also found it to be very bandwidth heavy. Unless I’m missing something I don’t see any way to opt out of seeing other users on video or to reduce the bitrate on those video feeds. It has been a problem for me as I’m stuck with a 3 Mbps connection right now while my colleagues enjoy much faster connections, which has meant distorted, delayed, or nonexistent audio.

(For those who haven’t read the other thread, I’m staying with family temporarily as the pandemic interrupted my move to another province and they don’t see any value in upgrading their Internet - and I don’t blame them, they’re in their 70s and just use it to check email.)

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Microsoft seems to be moving towards a comprehensive collaboration solution with Teams, Azure, OneDrive, Azure DevOps Server (horrible name), GitHub, Office365 and LinkedIn. Atlassian, Cisco, etc. could be in for some intense competition. Most likely Microsoft is trying to use its collaboration tools to push people towards Azure, so the real targets are AWS and GCP.
Definitely. I'm a professional cloud computing consultant and Microsoft really is the ascendant player. We've been directing clients to the exact stack you've described. They all love it.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Office365 is what all the schools seem to use here in BC, and the switch to Teams for online stuff (K-12) has been pretty good, all things considered.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada