HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 5:19 PM

Permits Issued For 47-Unit Building At 20-46 Armat Street In Germantown

Current site:

Current site:

Aerial of the site:

Quote:
Permits have been issued for the construction of a mixed-use building at 20-46 East Armat Street in Germantown, Northwest Philadelphia. Upon completion, the building will rise four stories tall. The ground floor will be home to a new commercial space, while the upper floors will hold 47 residential units. In total, the building will contain 45,554 square feet of space. Olney Construction is listed as the contractor. Construction costs are estimated at $7 million.

The new building will be a great improvement for the site, removing an eyesore surrounded by a surface lot and replacing it with a much more urbane, mixed-use building. Commercial space on the ground floor will positively contribute to Germantown’s downtown area, and the added 47 residential units will boost the local business customer base.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/12/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 5:21 PM

Permits Issued For 404-Unit Development At 650 Fairmount Avenue In Northern Liberties/Poplar

Current site:

Rendering:

Rendering:

Rendering:

Aerial massing:

Read/view more here:

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 5:31 PM

Are we finally seeing the rebirth of Chelten Ave and Germantown?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 6:15 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Permits Issued For 404-Unit Development At 650 Fairmount Avenue In Northern Liberties/Poplar

Current site:

Rendering:

Aerial massing:

Read/view more here:
Awesome. I was wondering about this project the other day since 7th & Spring Garden now has a building planned. That is a massive chunk of land undergoing total re-development.

Too bad both projects are ugly.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 6:55 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
It sure looks like it's heading that way!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 10:08 PM

Wells Fargo Center renovations

I think this was already mentioned that construction on the Wells Fargo Center started back up after a pause for the pandemic but I had not seen, "upgrades to the exterior of the venue," mentioned previously.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...lub-level.html

There isn't any renderings of the exterior in that link but some other club level renderings. I wish they would spruce up the street level appearance of the whole area. There's lots of empty tree pits on Pattison. I also hate how there is no clear path from NRG station to the Wells Fargo Center. You have to kind of weave diagonally through the lots. I've always thought it was bizarre that the main entrance and really cool Wilt Chamberlain statue is on the South side facing 95 while 90% of the people come from the other direction. On the north side you're greeted by the loading docks and this barren underutilized space.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 2:05 AM

The guy just needs to resign. The numbers probably won’t get much better anytime soon sadly and neither will his approval...

https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/com...-20211207.html

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
I think this was already mentioned that construction on the Wells Fargo Center started back up after a pause for the pandemic but I had not seen, "upgrades to the exterior of the venue," mentioned previously.

There isn't any renderings of the exterior in that link but some other club level renderings. I wish they would spruce up the street level appearance of the whole area. There's lots of empty tree pits on Pattison. I also hate how there is no clear path from NRG station to the Wells Fargo Center. You have to kind of weave diagonally through the lots. I've always thought it was bizarre that the main entrance and really cool Wilt Chamberlain statue is on the South side facing 95 while 90% of the people come from the other direction. On the north side you're greeted by the loading docks and this barren underutilized space.

The gameflow traffic from the subway is so bad that they always have a guy with a megaphone directing people to entrances that are easier to get in through (and it's substantially faster). They need some upgrades.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
The guy just needs to resign. The numbers probably won’t get much better anytime soon sadly and neither will his approval...

This is posted in the low rise section, clearly should be in the high rise section!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:

I was just about to post this link:

https://www.inquirer.com/news/krasne...-20211207.html

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 1:05 PM

[QUOTE=allovertown;9470176]The one city official you don't support. Figures. His constituents just reelected him in a landslide. Perhaps you're out of touch?

post removed

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 1:51 PM

Quote:
You mentioned that we are long due for a conversation about police reform - you’re saying not enough people have been talking about that? that There are many cities that did some reforms and did in fact defund the police. And I’m sorry but the spin of “well, money was only transferred from police departments, they weren’t ‘cut’” is pretty weak and illogical. That’s how budgeting works - the city doesn’t just make cuts and then transfers it to a bank where it collects interest lol.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...oney-community
Look, I responded to you because you said now is not the time for reform because the homicide rate is rising, and my implied (I should have been more direct) response was that the homicide rate is rising in part because the current system is a failure and therefore the need for immediate reform is clearer than it has ever been.

BLM has resulted in very little concrete change. The article you linked is evidence of that. But I'm not really interested in a circular discussion about the national state of policing. This isn't the best place for that. My suggestion would be to take a look at the Philadelphia budget. What has changed? Are things better? Is the current system working? If not, how do we improve it? The idea that "now is not the time for reform because things are going poorly" is a stance I have a lot of trouble understanding.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I sure hope so! Once Chelten Ave is revitalized (at least between the Chelten Ave and Germantown Regional Rail stations), all of Germantown will be desirable. Northwest Germantown is already largely desirable, and both Southwest and Northeast Germantown have a ton of potential. Southeast Germantown will continue to be the laggard of the group, but that could change with larger developments around Wayne Junction and Wister Stations.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 2:47 PM

Quote:

I agree that Krasner should be ashamed of himself and consistantly shows how arrogant and tone-deaf a person could be.

I also agree that the very people he offended with his remarkably ignorant remarks are the ones who voted him back in, in large percentages. Take your pick, people. You can't have both.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 3:10 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post

Yeah, completely agree with this. At this point it's probably more trouble than it's worth, but I wish they'd cover the loading dock area and improve the pedestrian experience there, because it's just a mess to walk there. In comparison, it's so much easier to get to the Linc and CBP. I think part of the issue might be that when the Spectrum still existed (what is now Lot G), the pedestrian experience made a bit more sense since you needed to walk past the Spectrum in order to get to the WFC. But now that the Spectrum doesn't exist, it's all a bit convoluted.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
Yeah, completely agree with this. At this point it's probably more trouble than it's worth, but I wish they'd cover the loading dock area and improve the pedestrian experience there, because it's just a mess to walk there. In comparison, it's so much easier to get to the Linc and CBP. I think part of the issue might be that when the Spectrum still existed (what is now Lot G), the pedestrian experience made a bit more sense since you needed to walk past the Spectrum in order to get to the WFC. But now that the Spectrum doesn't exist, it's all a bit convoluted.
Wasn't there a plan to connect the two buildings or connect Xfinity Live to the Wells Fargo Center? It's been a long time but I have a faint memory of a plan to build up that side with more places to "ably and efficiently separate the good people of the Delaware Valley from their wallets".

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 5:49 PM
Chris

Interesting article on the transformation of the Philadelphia startup scene. I included some tidbits below.

Philadelphia's startup scene is booming. VC leaders lay out what's pushing it forward and what could slow the growth.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...a-startup.html

"Greater Philadelphia’s venture capital landscape is in stark contrast from what it was a decade ago, buoyed by successful serial founders and enormous funding rounds, but ongoing problems facing the region could hold back hinder growth, VC leaders say. The venture scene in Philadelphia is “night and day” compared to 2011"

"Philadelphia has always had the “seeds” to grow a great startup community... Those seeds come from the number of universities in the area pumping out fresh talent, the lower cost of living, proximity to New York and Washington, D.C. and great health care options. But 10 years ago, the community wasn’t living up to its potential."

"What holds back Philadelphia’s startup community is the city itself, the panelists said. With about a quarter of the city’s population living below the poverty line and more than 500 homicides so far in 2021, Philadelphia’s population growth could be stymied, Crowder said. Cities can’t act like they are a great place to live or build a company when it coexists with high murder and poverty rate"

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 6:34 PM
Chris

Additional Info and Controversy for Proposed Building at 13th & Bainbridge

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...3th-bainbridge

Given how disappointing this proposal is (not all the developers fault), I would prefer a park, but a really pretty landscaped park, not just a patch of grass.

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Dec 8, 2021 at 10:55 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 7:04 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Additional Info and Controversy for Proposed Building at 13th & Bainbridge

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...3th-bainbridge

Given how disappointing this proposal is (not the developers fault), I would prefer a park, but a really pretty landscaped park, not just a patch of grass.
Damn, that's fugly! It is the developer's fault if they sign off on the design.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 7:24 PM

I cant beleive something that small is allowed near Center city, We need to allow higher buildings oh my goodness. Its ugly, short and provides nothing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development