HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 5:12 PM

The Windsor Express just held a press conference today, and announced that the City did not accept their proposal to renovate Windsor Arena. From the video, it sounds like the were the only proposal the City considered, but ended up denying. I'm very curious as to why the City didn't accept the proposal, especially since (to me at least) it seemed like a solid proposal that would get the Express downtown and also enable folks to use it as a community space. Anyone here have any insider knowledge on this? Otherwise I'll be waiting to see how the City responds. I really hope they change their mind and let the Express renovate the arena, it seems like a no-brainer to me

Link to video: https://m.facebook.com/WEDigitalProd...1063483077882/

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmateurPlanner View Post
The Windsor Express just held a press conference today, and announced that the City did not accept their proposal to renovate Windsor Arena. From the video, it sounds like the were the only proposal the City considered, but ended up denying. I'm very curious as to why the City didn't accept the proposal, especially since (to me at least) it seemed like a solid proposal that would get the Express downtown and also enable folks to use it as a community space. Anyone here have any insider knowledge on this? Otherwise I'll be waiting to see how the City responds. I really hope they change their mind and let the Express renovate the arena, it seems like a no-brainer to me

Link to video: https://m.facebook.com/WEDigitalProd...1063483077882/
It looks like the Windsor Star was able to gather some additional information about this. According to the Mayor, there were "too many questions about the plan that were never answered to council's satisfaction". It's mentioned that current plan for the City is to see how much it would cost to demolish the arena, but said that if the questions are answered, they would move forward with the Express plan.

Further down the article, Mario Iatonna (Express executive director) mentions that the Express have secured a sponsor and tenants for the commercial units, but at the very end of the article the Mayor mentions that the "numbers have to make sense". Sounds like the issue comes down to financials, but according to the Express they have the capital (as per the article).

I'm curious what the other "unanswered questions" were to council, because I feel like something is missing here. On a positive note, Iatonna mentions that there wasn't a lot of chance for "dialogue" with the City due to COVID, so they're hoping to be able to meet face-to-face with council as restrictions lessen. I'm really hoping that they are able to make this plan become a reality as I think it would be great to have the Express downtown.

Link to article: https://windsorstar.com/sports/city-...-windsor-arena

*Edit: Here's an additional link from Blackburn News with a comment from Ward 3 councillor Rino Bortolin https://blackburnnews.com/windsor/wi...arena-project/

Last edited by AmateurPlanner; Apr 30, 2021 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Added Blackburn News article

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 1:21 PM

Very disappointing, I was really hoping to see this plan approved. Hopefully they can get those questions answered and make this happen. That part of DT really needs a boost in liveliness.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 2:15 PM

Hoping they can make it work too. I wouldn't want to see the arena demolished just because it has so much history (was the first home of the Detroit Red Wings).

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 6:20 PM

Agree with both of you, there's a ton of history in that building that I would hate to see get wiped out, and that part of downtown would really benefit from this kind of investment.

It sounds like the Express will try to work with the city, based on their comments about wanting to be in the community for the long haul. I'll definitely be crossing my fingers on this one!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 9:02 PM

Ok so this story has definitely been a whirlwind the Mayor has now come forward with more specifics on why the Express application was denied. According to this article from Blackburn, it looks like the City wanted to see a loan guaranteed by a financial institution, but the letter provided from the Express was only an acknowledgement that their application (for the loan) would be looked in to by a financial institution.

I'm assuming if the loan application goes through successfully that this will go forward? But I suppose time will tell. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for more information

Link to article: https://blackburnnews.com/windsor/wi...ay-demolished/

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 1:07 PM

The building has lots of history and I would like to see something done with it, I loved the idea of a city market there. In the other hand I feel the Express Organization, in the long run will become a basket-case story for the city. That's just my opinion.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 11:14 AM

I don't know, it seems like the Express are pretty successful (although I don't follow them that closely tbh). I know some folks who follow them much closer than myself, and they mention they're pretty involved in the community. If they're able to move downtown, I can see their attendance improving, which would help support the franchise from a financial perspective.

I suppose we'll have to see if the bank thinks they can pull it off too

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 12:20 PM

Coun. Bortolin is campaigning to revive the proposal by the Windsor Express to transform the barn. Sounds like the club has significant financial backing from Libro (pending) and the Butcher Engineering family for this project in the amount of several million dollars.

This would be a great addition to our downtown.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...-windsor-arena

Last edited by inter777; May 7, 2021 at 12:54 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inter777 View Post
Coun. Bortolin is campaigning to revive the proposal by the Windsor Express to transform the barn. Sounds like the club has significant financial backing from Libro (pending) and the Butcher Engineering family for this project in the amount of several million dollars.

This would be a great addition to our downtown.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...-windsor-arena
Really glad to see Bortolin trying to get this done. Based on the article, it sounds like they really do need to just sit down together and hash it out since it sounds like there is some weird catch 22 logic going on with the letter of intent and the secured financing from Libro.

To me, this is a project that all members of council should be looking at how to get done instead of opting for an easy-out with a demolition. The multi-use part of the facility makes it even more enticing than just a straight arena (although that's great too) as well as the commercial and retail components. Something like this really has the potential to impact downtown, especially with the City also looking at revamping the Civic esplanade just a block away. While I don't think any one project will be the "key" to saving downtown, all of these projects (e.g. residential developments) together are all pieces to the puzzle to making it vibrant. Anyway, I'm just really passionate about improving downtown and the City, so I'm rooting for this one!

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 11:34 AM

This article has some updates on the Graffiti project. Sounds like the company is still waiting on the resident's appeal to LPAT, but in the meantime they are moving forward with a heritage designation on a couple of the buildings on the property. From the article, it also sounds like the developers are currently doing some restoration work on the existing buildings as well (stabilizing the foundation).

No indication on how long the appeal process plans to take (it's mentioned that there is currently no date set), but it sounds like the developers are still committed to the project since they're still doing restorative work to the existing buildings.

Link to article: https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...lley-barn-site

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:50 PM

Drove down Wyandotte St. E yesterday and noticed that construction has started on a new development. According to this story from two years ago, it’s going to be a four storey residential building with ground floor retail. Definitely needed and nice to see some new investment in that section of the street that is the heart of Windsor’s Arabic community.

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/big-plans...reet-1.4672641

Last edited by north 42; May 18, 2021 at 2:07 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Drove down Wyandotte St. E yesterday and noticed that construction has started on a new development. According to this story from two years ago, it’s going to be a four storey residential building with ground floor retail. Definitely needed and nice to see some new investment in that section of the street that is the heart of Windsor’s Arabic community.

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/big-plans...reet-1.4672641
That's great! Happy to hear that they're able to get started on that project and are able to repurpose the old Le Chef site. Looks to be right on some transit stops as well as walking distance to some local grocers as well

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 2:47 AM
Rockin' Buffet Tables

Anyone have any idea what's going on at the former Preney Print & Litho property on Dougall Ave, just north of the Expressway and south of the new EMS station?

There's been some activity going on there the past number of weeks and last I saw they've been digging below grade now.

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupislyr View Post
Anyone have any idea what's going on at the former Preney Print & Litho property on Dougall Ave, just north of the Expressway and south of the new EMS station?

There's been some activity going on there the past number of weeks and last I saw they've been digging below grade now.
I haven’t heard anything about it, but have noticed the construction activity also. I remember that site as a Burger King in the 70s, lol.

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 3:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Burger King is by and large a failure in Canada. So many locations have been shuttered. Burger Pretender.

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Burger King is by and large a failure in Canada. So many locations have been shuttered. Burger Pretender.
Burger King is the worst of all of the burger joints, and their restaurants are usually filthy and look like they haven’t been updated in 40 years. I don’t mind a Whopper with cheese occasionally though.

Old Posted May 23, 2021, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupislyr View Post

Huh, I haven't heard anything on this either. Couldn't find anything with a quick search online. Guess it'll be a surprise once it goes up!

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 11:29 AM

Proposed 4 story condo in Walkerville is getting some pretty big backlash, much of it at Councillor Holt. The proposed site is at the corner of Kildare Rd and Devonshire Ct, the site of the former St George's Anglican Church. This development seems like the perfect location for intensification (next to transit as well as local businesses). I disagree with the residents that this doesn't belong in Walkerville, since there are already many 3 story midrises along Ontario St just up Kildare. Walkerville is also a hugely popular neighbourhood and more housing is needed. I think the backlash at Holt is ridiculous, as he's been the biggest proponent of infill in the city, and has been for many years.

The developer has said that they will work with the residents to try to make modifications to the plan, so we will see how that goes. The article mentions that the big reason for the backlash is that residents "had an understanding" that there would be 3 single-family homes built there, however the original owner of the lots couldn't sell them, so it was sold to a local investor and is planning on bringing this to council for a re-zoning approval. The investor is also trying to capture the "heritage feel" of Walkerville, which can be seen in the renderings. I guess we will see what happens in this one!

Link to article: https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...le-church-site

Rendering 1:

Rendering 2:

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 1:24 PM

Absolutely ridiculous! This is exactly what the city and Walkerville needs, new midrise developments that blend into the neighbourhood and provide much needed intensification and choice. This looks totally acceptable for Walkerville, it’s not some modern monstrosity as many are making it out to be. Windsor is really turning into NIMBY land lately, ugh!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario