HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Nunavut
That's it. The thing I had to google a couple of times, cause nobody ever talks about it.
I bet you get both the best and worst weirdos out there.
It is definitely some old-school adventure.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post

Never been to the Territories but Im sure there's some gorgeous spots up there too.
It's so damn remote, but Mount Thor is supposedly the largest vertical drop in the world.

from:https://www.reddit.com/r/climbing/co...da_the_earths/

The whole valley looks like something out of The Lord of The Rings. There's some videos on youtube of people wingsuiting off it as well.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Having been to almost all the beaches in the lower mainland and most of the beaches in Southern Ontario, can confirm. The great lakes take the national cake for beaches. Grand Friggin Bend!

However, the beaches between Ucluelet and Tofino are seriously magical, it's just far too cold to swim in while also enjoying it.
Aren’t the beaches of the Great Lakes also cold though, or is that more so Lake Superior, where I grew up? We would swim at smaller lakes.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
Aren’t the beaches of the Great Lakes also cold though, or is that more so Lake Superior, where I grew up? We would swim at smaller lakes.
Grand Bend and Sauble can get decently warm for a couple months of the year. Erie is very shallow so I assume it can as well but I haven't tried it. Superior and Georgian Bay have always been freezing even in July when I've gone.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 9:26 PM

Georgian Bay around Tobermory will be freezing in July and pretty much always in the sense that even at the end of August it's swimmable but not comfortable.

GB down by Wasaga, Collingwood, Tiny, Penetang, Midland, Tay, etc. are often comfortable for swimming on a nice day by mid July.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 9:46 PM
BANNED

one of the best things about Winnipeg is how many ecozones converge there, giving you access to a huge amount of diverse landscapes within 1-2 hours.

east, you have Canadian shield including beautiful Larch and Cedar bogs, thousands of lakes and rivers, and the ruggedness of the shield

north, with one hour you have access to some of the best beaches in Canada (along Lake Winnipeg) as well as sand dunes and rare esker habitat and some of Canada's only grasslands oak savanna and tall grass prairie.

west you have the uplands of the Manitoba escapement with it shale mountains, some of the best wildlife viewing in RMNP, the Assiniboine river delta, plus the beautiful valleys carved throughout. the only cities with as much diversity in ecozones within such quick access are Calgary and Montreal.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 10:17 PM

I love the Okanagan and Thompson River valley in BC. It has that rustic desert mountain feel like the US Sothwest. The open Prairies has beautidul night time scenery.........the endless sunsets and star filled skies. The Northern Lights of our North is also stunning.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 10:27 PM

I'd go with BC just because of the variety. Mountains and ocean, fjords, Canada's only desert, volcanos, the prairies of the Peace region. It's all there.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 10:43 PM

1) British Columbia
2) Alberta
3) Québec
4) Newfoundland & Labrador
5) Ontario
6) Nova Scotia
7) New Brunswick
8) Prince Edward Island
9) Manitoba
10) Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Being from PEI, and living in Moncton, not too far from Parlee Beach in Shediac, it pains me to agree with you, but the beaches along the Lake Huron shore are truly spectacular.

The one proviso I will offer is that the barrier dune islands along the north coast of PEI protecting Malpeque Bay are amazing. They are difficult to get to, and completely wild, but I went there once on a field trip at university and it was almost a religious experience.

Imagine a string of barrier islands stretching from horizon to horizon, with white sandy beaches, and the tallest dunes you'll ever see, seabirds flocking everywhere and not a human in sight............

It was an amazing day that I'll always remember.
I spent two weeks at a beach near Shediac in my youth (it could be Parlee, I have no clue which one it was). The beach was definitely one of the nicest I have seen in this country. The only thing Lake Huron has over NB is the clear blue-ish water, and sometimes nicer sand.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 11:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

My fave natural landscape bit of each...

Newfoundland and Labrador

NL-118-Western Brook Pond by Rod Brazier, on Flickr

Nova Scotia

The Lookoff (Kings County, Nova Scotia) by TheNovaScotian1991, on Flickr

Prince Edward Island

Tignish Shore Beach, Prince Edward Island (471232) by Robert Linsdell, on Flickr

New Brunswick

St John River, Fredericton NB by Chilanga Cement, on Flickr

Quebec

Percé - Québec by r.maucourant, on Flickr

Ontario

Niagara Falls USA and Canada Side . by Hamoud Alhawiti, on Flickr

Manitoba

Winnipeg Beach by Jo-Anne Douglas, on Flickr

Saskatchewan

Wind power by Jack Bowling, on Flickr

Alberta

Southern Alberta by Kim Wiltshire, on Flickr

British Columbia

Alpine Paintbrush by Artur Stanisz, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I'd go with BC just because of the variety. Mountains and ocean, fjords, Canada's only desert, volcanos, the prairies of the Peace region. It's all there.
In saying "it's all there" one thing that isn't is Canadian Shield topography, which is a defining stereotypical Canadian landscapes.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 11:39 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
In saying "it's all there" one thing that isn't is Canadian Shield topography, which is a defining stereotypical Canadian landscapes.
Canadian Shield is easy to fake, though. Technically it doesn't exist here but lots of the interior lakes on the island look like the Canadian shield. I'm sure B.C. is the same.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 11:45 PM

Loving the pics! Just beautiful!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
BC to me. Throw in enough of AB to get some prairie scenes and you could reasonably fake every other province in specific landscape shots, with a close enough crop.
Hey Sig BC has prairie in its northern half check out Fort Nelson and Fort St John.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Canada is a beautiful country. A few of my personal favourite spots:

-Ontario's Great Lakes: very underrated IMO. Beautiful beaches, shallow warm waters, great swimming, the power of Niagara Falls, summers of boating in the Muskoka's, rustic cottages, etc.

-Rocky Mountains: you can't go wrong here. Lake Louise, Banff, Whistler. The Rockies always leave me speechless. One of the nicest mountain ranges on the planet. Just driving from Whistler BC to Banff AB is an unreal drive. Everyone should do it at least once.

-The Alberta badlands (Drumheller)..... simply stunning. Like a page right out of the ancient dinosaur habitats. I really enjoyed my trip here, its hard to believe you're in Canada.

-Quebec's St Lawrence corridor especially around Quebec City. Great views....European architecture, steep cliffs, whales, waterfalls. I simply love this area.

-Nova Scotia Coastline.... something about the Cape Breton Highlands down to Halifax. Right on the ocean, the gentle hills, greenery, etc.

-The Red Sand Of PEI.....something about PEI always sticks with me....and the red sand has lots to do with it. There is a certain relaxing charm about this province and the beaches/no care in the world feeling you get.

Never been to the Territories but Im sure there's some gorgeous spots up there too.
Whistler is nowhere near the Rockies otherwise agree.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 12:00 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Hey Sig BC has prairie in its northern half check out Fort Nelson and Fort St John.
They're close but it's not quite the... you don't feel like you could trip and fall off the planet the way you do in parts of AB/SK/MB. The curvature of the earth is still somewhat hidden in the pics I just searched.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 12:01 AM
BANNED

I feel privileged to live a hour-ish away from some of the best freshwater beaches in the world. Not to mention on the doorstep of the Canadian Shield with our thousands of boreal crystal clear lakes. And to the west, beautiful prairie landscape.

For me, this is paradise like no other place

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
They're close but it's not quite the... you don't feel like you could trip and fall off the planet the way you do in parts of AB/SK/MB. The curvature of the earth is still somewhat hidden in the pics I just searched.
Ya the flattest prairie up there may not have a street or highway beside it so pics are hard to find. But there are rodeos and oil and gas up there so similar scene.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
It's so damn remote, but Mount Thor is supposedly the largest vertical drop in the world.

from:https://www.reddit.com/r/climbing/co...da_the_earths/

The whole valley looks like something out of The Lord of The Rings. There's some videos on youtube of people wingsuiting off it as well.
Would be amazing to make it there someday, definitely one of the most dramatic scenes in Canada.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada