HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I really love this project. It's dense, attractive, and goes out of its way to be pedestrian friendly. It converts an alley into a pedestrian walkway for Peets sake! This building takes pride in its community, and wants to give back to it. I like that. Plus, since it is being built on top of an existing parking structure, there is no gain in parking spaces. It's a perfect development.
Agreed. this is the kind and scale of infill we need in Hollywood. i think the sweet spot is 8 - 15 stories, minimal to no parking and great design. Once funding is readily available again, we are going to see the majority of streets perpendicular to Hollywood and Sunset developed with projects like this. Hell, its already happening in a slower fashion, but it will really take off in the next couple years.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 7:27 AM
BANNED

yeah thats a nice building. i hope it gets built along with the emerson college building. but whats that building thats on the actual corner? is it a render or an existing building? or a render of an existing building? i can't tell

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by all of the trash View Post
yeah thats a nice building. i hope it gets built along with the emerson college building. but whats that building thats on the actual corner? is it a render or an existing building? or a render of an existing building? i can't tell
I think the odds are fairly good both the Emerson College and Cahuenga/Selma are built because I believe financing is in place for both. The building on the corner already exists, they are just going to renovate it.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 9:34 PM
International

landed at lax this morning and, wow, the new terminal really is coming along!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 1:17 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
landed at lax this morning and, wow, the new terminal really is coming along!
Welcome back!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 4:52 AM
International

Quote:
Welcome back!
thanks! it always feels good to be home! i hope all is well with everybody with that said, is there any major, new infill worth photographing? or, really, anything new of note that has gone up since the last time i was here (august). i do plan on checking out artisan house sometime this weekend.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 5:11 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
thanks! it always feels good to be home! i hope all is well with everybody any major, new infill worth photographing?
Actually, yes. I was going to get around to it, and maybe still will, but if you are asking...

-On Ocean Ave. in Santa Monica, a really super well done hotel. Very modern, and no stucco, and huge.

- Also on Santa Monica, off of Wilshire, a new medical building, right next to the Staples and across the street from the giant new UCLA hospital. It's not *on* Wilshire, but right off of it. Very nice building, all concrete and glass, and has the first automated parking structure in Southern California.

- On Olympic and Stewert, also in Santa Monica, they are building this *massive* glassy building. Easily the biggest thing in Los Angeles under construction right now. It's simply huge. And looks attractive, too, surprisingly. You can't miss it.

- In West Hollywood, they just finished the new Library, which is right across the way from the Pacific Design Center. Speaking of which....

- The Red Building in the Pacific Design Center is almost finished. It's a really cool building, one of my favorites in the world. It's just so distinct...

- The new Ceder Sinai building is all tall and glassy right now. Actually is turning out surprisingly well, considering it is a hospital. Plus, it is being built right up against the sidewalk, making it pedestrian friendly. Actually, it's sort of creating an urban canyon in that area.

- 8500 Burton Way is under construction. It's a very cool, pedestrian oriented building under construction on... Burton Way. Its Caruso's building. They have a crane up and everything! I think it looks like a building from the Jetsons, from the renderings, which I think is a good thing.

And that is pretty much all the good infill under construction in L.A.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 8:49 PM
Ascension

Yeah..check out that hotel in Santa Monica but do it at night. The courtyard is bathed in beautiful blue lighting. It really looks amazing.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 5:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Actually, yes. I was going to get around to it, and maybe still will, but if you are asking...

-On Ocean Ave. in Santa Monica, a really super well done hotel. Very modern, and no stucco, and huge.

- Also on Santa Monica, off of Wilshire, a new medical building, right next to the Staples and across the street from the giant new UCLA hospital. It's not *on* Wilshire, but right off of it. Very nice building, all concrete and glass, and has the first automated parking structure in Southern California.

- On Olympic and Stewert, also in Santa Monica, they are building this *massive* glassy building. Easily the biggest thing in Los Angeles under construction right now. It's simply huge. And looks attractive, too, surprisingly. You can't miss it.

- In West Hollywood, they just finished the new Library, which is right across the way from the Pacific Design Center. Speaking of which....

- The Red Building in the Pacific Design Center is almost finished. It's a really cool building, one of my favorites in the world. It's just so distinct...

- The new Ceder Sinai building is all tall and glassy right now. Actually is turning out surprisingly well, considering it is a hospital. Plus, it is being built right up against the sidewalk, making it pedestrian friendly. Actually, it's sort of creating an urban canyon in that area.

- 8500 Burton Way is under construction. It's a very cool, pedestrian oriented building under construction on... Burton Way. Its Caruso's building. They have a crane up and everything! I think it looks like a building from the Jetsons, from the renderings, which I think is a good thing.

And that is pretty much all the good infill under construction in L.A.
Nice list. It's interesting about the density in WeHo/Beverly Center; you would think that the Pink Line was still on the drawingboard.

1950's spacey is what I thought about Caruso's building also. Lots of curves. If you haven't been to WeHo library, go there; there is a great panoramic view of Red/Green/Blue. Parking is woefully inadequate, however.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 6:51 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Parking is woefully inadequate, however.
Which is a good thing. When it is harder to find parking in Los Angeles it encourages usage alternate forms of transportation. Frankly, I'm surprised that someone on this forum is complaining about the lack of parking.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 2:14 AM
Heavy User

^let's not have this conversation again and just pretend like we did. In any case, construction good!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by all of the trash View Post
Isn't that the building that the Spotlight bar was at? Ah, the Spotlight...

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 5:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil View Post
^let's not have this conversation again and just pretend like we did. In any case, construction good!
As a special Thanksgiving present I will agree.

In any event, try to walk or bike to WeHo and see the view from the upper level of the library. Red, green, blue.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 6:45 PM
Heavy User

^Love that trio. Sharp sharp sharp looking buildings.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
well, stop continuing this discussion then.

you obviously have different (eg. lower) standards, and need to get out of la to see what real urbanism is about.

7th and fig is just crappy. i half expect to see a vacant montgomery wards, payless shoes, and an orange julius in that pit (but until recently pleasantly surprised to see an outdated macy's). the rest of 7th is just spotty, perhaps only good for "canyon photo-op" and the extremely occasional dinner you'll only go to because your tightly knit group of high-school friends are having a reunion at wockano's.
spring - spotty. couple restaurants here and there. see above.
main - spotty. couple restaurants here and there. see above.

overall - lack of cohesion. dtla is still a destination/event hood. get in, and get out. don't pretend it's suddenly become some established urban nabe just because it's gained some hipster-occupied lofts over the past decade.
LOL...Wokano's? Really? There are probably 100 better restaurants in the vicinity- many of which have opened the past year alone. We can all cherry-pick examples. I mean...NYC sucks for restaurants because there's a Sbarro's in Times Square...right?

Then again, what do I know? I'm probably a philistine that wouldn't know good urbanism if it hit me in the face. After all, I've only visited 5 out of 7 of the continents so far and have only lived in backwaters like London, Philly, and DC before moving to LA.

Please Edluva, leave the convo to those of us that can refrain from making sweeping, false, generalizations about neighborhoods they clearly don't know anything about.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
LOL...Wokano's? Really? There are probably 100 better restaurants in the vicinity- many of which have opened the past year alone. We can all cherry-pick examples. I mean...NYC sucks for restaurants because there's a Sbarro's in Times Square...right?

Then again, what do I know? I'm probably a philistine that wouldn't know good urbanism if it hit me in the face. After all, I've only visited 5 out of 7 of the continents so far and have only lived in backwaters like London, Philly, and DC before moving to LA.

Please Edluva, leave the convo to those of us that can refrain from making sweeping, false, generalizations about neighborhoods they clearly don't know anything about.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 11:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
sweeping generalizations they may be, but false they are not. i obviously use wockano to make a general point about the vibe in downtown. i know these neighborhoods pretty well (i live here) and they don't impress me at all. hell, the mission in SF has a more interesting collection of restaurants than DTLA on the basis of quality alone.

but then again, a philistine crowd wouldn't appreciate the difference.

brighamyen - cheerleaders unite!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 2:38 AM

Quote:
i obviously use wockano to make a general point about the vibe in downtown.
What is that point exactly? That "the vibe" in downtown isn't up to your standards? Because of one crappy chain restaurant that most DTLA residents wouldn't order takeout for their dogs from, let alone be caught dead in? More to the point, why are you using Wokano as an example when their are dozens of highly rated, nationally recognized, unique restaurants throughout Downtown that you could have picked instead? Because it doesn't fit your "downtown sucks and anyone who disagrees must not have good taste" narrative?

Quote:
i know these neighborhoods pretty well (i live here)
Oh? Whereabouts Downtown do you live? Maybe we can grab a drink at Wokano. I heard it has a really great vibe.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 2:47 AM

Quote:

brighamyen - cheerleaders unite!
I own it bitch ;-)

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 3:56 AM

Quote:
I really love this project. It's dense, attractive, and goes out of its way to be pedestrian friendly. It converts an alley into a pedestrian walkway for Peets sake! This building takes pride in its community, and wants to give back to it. I like that. Plus, since it is being built on top of an existing parking structure, there is no gain in parking spaces. It's a perfect development.
Pretty cool looking. Just wondering, does anyone think it will look dated relatively quickly? It seems that if this were in another city, it would be dated looking quickly, but because it's L.A., it will be bad ass for many a year!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations