HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 5:16 AM

Thanks for the updates. Great shots from MainPlace.

How did you manage to get up there on the balcony (if you don't mind my asking)? That isn't open to the public, is it?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 5:43 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
No, its not open to the public, but I just went and found a manager of the building, told them I was taking pictures for a skyscraper forum and they let me go up to the balcony, which was still a vacant floor at the time.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 3:42 PM
Ascension

And it was that easy?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 3:48 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
I have professional camera gear and for whatever reason most of the time, it makes people take you more seriously, and its easier to get into places you usually cant. I dont understand why, but it just works. I've gotten into a lot of the taller buildings downtown and in the medical district just by being nice to some employee that works there and sometimes people bring me up to their offices to take pictures out their windows. The cops arent usually too fond of my camera gear though when Im taking pictures on the street, and the people in the Chase Tower dont like camera gear either, so I have to hide it whenever I go in there.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 1:34 AM

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 3:09 AM

Love it, reminds me of The Aqua in Chicago.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 3:16 AM

I like it.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 3:21 AM
Ex Houstonian

Dang, I hope that gets built, I love the design. I counted about 40 stories in that render.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 3:25 AM

New Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan building for personalized cancer care.

http://www.rdmag.com/Lab-Design-News...d-Cancer-Care/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Qgrd88hYLLY" target="_blank">Video Link

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 3:27 AM
Ex Houstonian

It looks like things are picking up again! Where is that though? There wasnt an address for it. Im assuming its in the Medical Center, but where?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
It looks like things are picking up again! Where is that though? There wasnt an address for it. Im assuming its in the Medical Center, but where?
It's at the southeast corner of Moursund St. and M.D. Anderson Blvd.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 3:57 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Its really good that are researching pancreatic cancer, my grandpa, great grandpa, and great uncle on my moms side have all died from pancreatic cancer, and once you know you have it, thats it, youre done.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 4:35 AM

Houston officials will unveil sweeping plan for 'Convention District'
By NANCY SARNOFF, HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Updated 11:41 p.m., Sunday, January 1, 2012

The newest vision for the eastern edge of downtown includes hotels and residential buildings in place of what are now parking lots.

Officials also picture a bustling pedestrian scene where shops and restaurants line the streets leading to the city's 1.2-million-square-foot George R. Brown Convention Center, which, too, would grow as part of their plan.

http://www.chron.com/business/articl...or-2434156.php

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 4:43 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Awesome, hopefully all that gets implemented.

Pictures from article. I would love to see all of this built, but what I envision unfortunately happening will be that half of that stuff will get built, the rest of those lots will be turned into parking garages for some of those projects. I hope thats not the case, but developers in downtown Houston love instead of incorporating parking structures into buildings, they just like taking up the lot next to their building with a miserable parking garage.

Render of new convention center Hotel across from the Hilton.

In the above plan it looks like something will be built in front of the Embassy Suites to hopefully cover up a little bit of that disgrace of a building that faces Houstons premier public park.

Seeing all of this new possible developments makes my heart race and I cant wait to see construction start once again!!!! Seeing parking lots disappear makes me a happy man. In that first render, seeing no parking lots is just ah, amazing! The only problem unfortunately right now is that Discovery Green is so packed because there is usually cheap parking available right across the street for the suburbanites to park their cars so they dont have to walk too far. If all of these surface lots get covered up, where will people park? There is some parking under Discovery Green but its like 10 bucks or so, when parking on the surface lots is usually 5 bucks. I hope they at least have a parking garage built into one of these future buildings that has public cheap parking and not just for residents or workers of the buildings and instead for Disco Green patrons. If the parking goes away, so does the crowds. There's always a caveat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On another note, I was just reading Swamplot and found more info and a more detailed map of what may happen around Minute Maid Park in the future.

City Playing Musical Blocks with Downtown Houses
Quote:
Yesterday was moving day for 2 unusual Downtown buildings: The 1905 Cohn and 1904 Foley (above) houses cattycorner from the George R. Brown Convention Center. Leftover single-family homes from an area once known as Quality Hill and now strangers in the land of skyscrapers and stadiums, they’d be notable Downtown residents even if they weren’t designated historic structures. The city is moving them across the street and a block closer to Minute Maid Park, where they’re intended to become add-ons to a mysterious Regional Tourism Center proposed for the 600 block of Avenida de las Americas.

http://swamplot.com/city-playing-mus...es/2011-11-03/

It's also about time someone cleans up the area under 59, that place is a hot mess and a blight. All around it looks like some amazing things are about to start; very exciting! But all of this could take years upon years to complete, maybe even 2020, who knows? I have been hearing a lot about the new convention center hotel though at least, so that could start fairly soon. The rest of the stuff in the renders is probably just speculation to the best of my knowledge.

This new render just seems to be expanding upon this old render from maybe 3 years ago or so. I guess we will just have to see how it all pans out.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...tion-district/

The convention center hotel in this old render seems to still have the same basic design as the new render shows interestingly enough.

Last edited by photoLith; Jan 3, 2012 at 5:25 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 5:26 AM
Ya Dig!!

And another one right by the new Whole Foods.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsde...se-in-houston/

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 5:28 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Thats pretty puke inducing suburban highway side hotel type architecture right there, but at least its density; wish we didnt just have to settle for crap in order to get density. This city should be better than that.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 8:16 PM
Endless Moments...

Oooo the convention area looks awesome. It would be insane to see that stuff get built. Hope it starts soon. Very Kewl...

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 8:40 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Can someone make a list on what's approved, under construction, and proposed and all that jazz?
Anyone?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Anyone?
I will make a list later tonight.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 11:31 PM
~Hook'em~

That convention district would be amazing! Sure would love to see that done. Get rid of the parking lots. =)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations