HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy
So allow me to ask you this question: why do you even tolerate all those SSC skybars , they mean lots of traffic but they are certainly blocking people with a healthy interest in architecture who often are inaccesable to SSC and often SSP due to the heavy skybar users.
Obviously SSC has something to gain from having a lot of traffic/users.
Something other then just the fact of being biggest (because you want to be the best rather then biggest if other interests where not involved behind the scenes).
I have my theories, but use your imagination and you will figure it out...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy
The fact is that all those skybar addicted people have lots of possibilities to go on other websites or as such to talk about anything they want to.

This forum aswell as SSC is in fact a forum about architecture and nothing else.
So allow me to ask you this question: why do you even tolerate all those SSC skybars , they mean lots of traffic but they are certainly blocking people with a healthy interest in architecture who often are inaccesable to SSC and often SSP due to the heavy skybar users.

Some people who are registered just to talk about crap...get rid of them
I don't need to say what the staff should do at SSC but at least they have to think about this , in other words get rid of those crapbars or keep just one.
I never knew Photography, Travel, Geograpy, urban issues, and simcity were all architecture. I do understand what you mean though.

Everything will be back to normal as soon as the place that the servers are located in Cali, respond to Dai Tengu's email.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 8:00 AM

^^ I think urban issues have their importance on a skycraper and architecture forum. Be that photos of cities, tall buildings, and architecture or things like transport which can be both architectural and important to the urban fabric of the city and any possible skyscrapers.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 8:46 AM
SSC Fan!!!

Today it's tinker day:

'Forums are down for a bit while we tinker with the database, We'll be back up soon! -- DaiTengu'

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 9:45 AM
:)

finally hoster seems installed new server. so moving to new db server i think. then, old db server will be reconfigured to new OS and will join back.
West Tower: core - 62 levels (232,0m) / floorplates - 62 levels (232,0m)

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 9:55 AM
sinjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_taylor
^^ I think urban issues have their importance on a skycraper and architecture forum. Be that photos of cities, tall buildings, and architecture or things like transport which can be both architectural and important to the urban fabric of the city and any possible skyscrapers.
Yeah, on the bottommost of SSC, you'll find "dedicated to urbanity"

Anyway, since when was SSC closed? I was online there 5 hours ago and it was fine... Good thing, I could do my photography

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 10:38 AM

Its not working at the moment though, I even had a hard time getting on SSP forums. Its getting tiresome now, SSC is an insanely simple forum based website, with no extras (like SSP) using freely available code, with a reasonable but not mountainous userbase, there is simply little excuse for it being down this often, or running so slow for that matter. Many users will not come back.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 1:05 PM
FutureTimeline.net

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 3:14 PM

Doesn't work...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 4:28 PM

Let's face the reality: SSC is dying. Sooner or later: it will be dead for good.

It is dying because a large number of threads are not related to architectural/construction issues as Grumpy and other seminal contributors have made it clear.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 5:16 PM

And most sections are poorly moderated for example gotoGeneral Photography' section and youll see threads like 'photos of your backgarden' 'Im looking for a man' 'how to make money' etc - I mean WTF?Where are mods?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 5:16 PM

double post.

Last edited by Eric2x; Oct 12, 2006 at 5:26 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef
Let's face the reality: SSC is dying. Sooner or later: it will be dead for good.

It is dying because a large number of threads are not related to architectural/construction issues as Grumpy and other seminal contributors have made it clear.
I'd actually post here more often, but unfortunately the approach isn't as international and posting about for instance the re-opening of dis-used railway lines isn't really going to get the specific attention of UK forumers if it were for say posted in this sub-forum or the main transport forum....although...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 9:44 PM

In my opinion it was a mistake to create sub topics for the regions - at least in the UK forume. By having manchester, leeds etc we were creating getos. Apart from the odd bit of excitement, not that many skyscrapers are proposed in the regions so people tend to yarn on about all kinds of things that are completely unrelated to skyscrapers. Football stadiums, various of drivvle that that pad out the database.

I would go back to one main forum - its nice to know what is going on all over the place, not just London but I fear when I dip into the provincial threads all I find is rubbish so I tend now to avoid them.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 7:13 AM
SSC Fan!!!

Down as always at friday morning. Hope it will work soon.
Imre updates are coming!!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 7:26 AM
SSC Fan!!!

And now it's tinker time again:

Forums are down for a bit while we tinker with the database, We'll be back up soon! -- DaiTengu

But better than 'server not found'!!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 8:44 AM
SSC Fan!!!

And now down again. Friday the 13th!!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 9:52 AM

I've been a long time SSC user and agree with many of the sentiments expressed here. I've been increasingly frustrated over the last couple of years at the enormous amount of garbage on there. I am an associate director of an architectural practise and directed many of my clients to check out SSC for the impressive amount of information on there regarding practically any major development in the world. However I could cringe at the thought of them wandering onto the 100's of nonsensical threads that seem to be populated by adolescent, spotty litle twerps with nothing better to do than spout complete utter shite and nonsense. I raised my concerns to Gothic ages ago but the problems seem to have grown along with the membership, much of which I fear has little or no interest in architecture or urbanism whatsover. Its all very well saying that SSC is the biggest website for architecture on the web but when a large percentage of the content is complete utter crap and totally off subject the credibilty of the site itself is compromised.

Last edited by larven; Oct 13, 2006 at 11:32 AM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 10:08 AM

I noticed when the London sub forum was introduced the amount of postings seemed to drop off. Maybe it was summer as well & there wasn't much news & then all the server trouble but I have to say prefered the London Forum as part of the main project & construction. Big Uk issues got posted there, say big news from Brighton or Cardiff & I would dip in & check them out but now its all departmentalised into some many regional forums you rarely dip into other forums. I wil look into Liverpool & Manchesters forums now & again but I dont bother with any of the others as there very little in them.

I've also noticed older forumers that worked in the industry that used to post but in the last 6mths or so they rarely seen on the forum. If these people stop posting then the news etc will dry up & your left with very little.

With regard the other non-architectural related sub forums & threads I noticed quite a few idiots who post in them but never in the main architectural threads. I come on this site & SSC as I have an interest in the subject. If I want to talk inane prattle I have friends I can go out &have a drink with.

As Lavern & Jef have mentioned its an excellent forum to found out about new developments the world over., Lets keep it that way.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 10:13 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

As far as I know the work on getting SSC up and running properly again is almost finished.
The best thing would be to limit registrations to a certain amount per day. That way the growth will never go out of control again

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe