HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5741  
Old Posted May 4, 2021, 2:20 AM
Pedestrian's Avatar
Pedestrian Pedestrian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 17,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Still quite low.

In SF, 43% of all residents, 49% of those 16+, and 73% of those 65+ have been fully vaccinated.

63% of all residents, 72% of those 16+, and 86% of those 65+ have received at least one dose.
And the city is still pumping vaccine into arms at a rate of nearly 1% of the eligible population (7000 people) per day. See what I posted just above about our rate of vaccine hesitancy--it's remarkably low. And it will mean that the city, at least, will probably truly reach "herd immunity" once we can start vaccinating the kids too while other parts of the country may not.

Incidentally, I don't think it's a coincidence that the national rate of vaccination began to plummet contemporaneously with the ill-advised suspension of the J&J vaccine. It appears the typical American isn't able to distinguish between the rare side effects that MAY (it's still unclear whether the cases of thrombotic thrombocytopenia among those vaccinated exceeded the rate among an unvaccinated group) be associated with the J&J and Astrazenica technology and the very different technology from Pfizer and Moderna. The suspension seems to have scared many people away from all available coronavirus vaccines. As one might guess (based on educational attainment stats), San Franciscans seem smarter than the national average and are able to make these distinctions.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5742  
Old Posted May 4, 2021, 8:44 AM
Pedestrian's Avatar
Pedestrian Pedestrian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 17,009
Check out your town's "vaccine hesitancy" (you can roll over the link to see percentages):


https://data.cdc.gov/stories/s/Vacci...D-19/cnd2-a6zw
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5743  
Old Posted May 4, 2021, 9:46 AM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 19,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Ok so not being able to sit shoulder to shoulder at a bar = lockdown? Damn dude you are something else

It is still somewhat quiet, I will agree with that. But that's more a symptom of people being hesitant to get back to normal rather than 'fanatical restrictions' imposed by the government. The pandemic was very bad in LA Nov-Jan, and I think people have taken it pretty seriously. That's a good thing, I think.
I disagree that fear and hesitancy amongst younger people who have never been at risk from the virus is a good thing. It’s a product of a government and media fear campaign that will probably have lasting mental health consequences more severe than any other health impact on these generations.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5744  
Old Posted May 4, 2021, 1:01 PM
mrnyc mrnyc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,534
^ instead of your bar buddies, tell that to those who other similarly reckless people made sick or killed.

***

touristy new orleans is big easying back to life:


https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-new-...om-11620120601
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5745  
Old Posted May 4, 2021, 3:39 PM
TWAK's Avatar
TWAK TWAK is offline
The Supreme Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Lake County, CA
Posts: 6,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I disagree that fear and hesitancy amongst younger people who have never been at risk from the virus is a good thing. It’s a product of a government and media fear campaign that will probably have lasting mental health consequences more severe than any other health impact on these generations.
So are you saying that you fear the impact of the lockdowns? If that's the case, then what is so bad about somebody fearing the virus? It's acting on the same thing, and both sides are doing it. Consider that every statement you have said about covid, can be molded into a comment about the impact of the lockdowns...
"the number of lockdowns doesn't matter"
"everybody has been impacted by the lockdowns so it's not a big deal"
"in any given year there are millions of lockdowns"
__________________
nobody cares about your city
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5746  
Old Posted May 4, 2021, 5:11 PM
Pedestrian's Avatar
Pedestrian Pedestrian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 17,009
Quote:
Working from home 'doesn't work for those who want to hustle': JPMorgan CEO
BY ELIZABETH DILTS MARSHALL, REUTERS - 11:28 AM ET 5/4/2021

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Working from home does not work for everyone, especially those who want "to hustle," JPMorgan Chase & Co's chief executive said on Tuesday at a conference in New York.

The largest American bank recently told it workers that it expects all U.S.-based employees back in offices on a rotational basis by early July, subject to current public health rules limiting office capacity to 50%.

Bank CEO Jamie Dimon said he wants people back at work because exclusively working from home "doesn't work for young people."

"It doesn't work for those who want to hustle. It doesn't work for spontaneous idea generation. It doesn't work for culture," Dimon said at a conference hosted by the Wall Street Journal . . . .
https://www.fidelity.com/news/articl...2CL1HQ-OUSBS_1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5747  
Old Posted May 4, 2021, 5:17 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 23,534
Quote:
Lightfoot sets goal to ‘fully open’ Chicago by July 4
The Chicago Auto Show already is set to open July 15. But getting “fully open” by July 4 also could mean the return of Lollapalooza, Taste of Chicago and the Air & Water Show, the city’s most popular and iconic summer events.

By Fran Spielman May 4, 2021, 11:37am CDT


McCormick Place will reawaken from its 14-month, pandemic-induced slumber with the July 15 return of the Chicago Auto Show — and Mayor Lori Lightfoot said her goal is to get the city “fully open” by July 4.

“I am working night and day toward this goal. … But, we and I need you to continue to be on this journey with us. And that means getting vaccinated now — as soon as possible,” Lightfoot told reporters at McCormick Place, where details of the auto show return were announced.

“Every day that our COVID-19 metrics continue to tick downward brings us a day closer to being able to put this pandemic in the rearview mirror. And we are too close to accomplishing this mission to give up now. Our goal … is to be fully open by July 4th.”
full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/5/...zker-lightfoot
__________________
If a Pizza is baked in a forest, and no one is around to eat it, is it still delicious?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5748  
Old Posted May 4, 2021, 5:30 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 19,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Yep, bring the snowflakes back to the office
__________________
Loving the sound of turbos
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5749  
Old Posted May 4, 2021, 6:18 PM
suburbanite's Avatar
suburbanite suburbanite is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The largest American bank recently told it workers that it expects all U.S.-based employees back in offices on a rotational basis by early July, subject to current public health rules limiting office capacity to 50%.

https://www.fidelity.com/news/articl...2CL1HQ-OUSBS_1
Funny, I just put together an investor pitch and used a quote from their COO from a couple months ago.

“Going back to the office with 100% of the people 100% of the time, I think there is zero chance of that,” said Daniel Pinto, co-president and chief operating officer of JP Morgan & Chase Co., in a February interview with CNBC.

https://theticker.org/3585/business/...that.%E2%80%9D


I think we're going to see a lot of back office folks working from home more, or on flexible schedules of 3 days in the office 2 days out kind of thing. No doubt that people looking to accelerate their careers as fast as possible are going to be in the office. Decisions are still going to be made in the boardroom and face time is crucial for building relationships. Still, I've seen multiple institutional tenants who had renewals in the past year give back 10-15% of their office space. We're not going to be flicking a switch and going back to 2019 as soon as everyone is vaccinated.
__________________
Discontented suburbanite since 1994
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5750  
Old Posted May 4, 2021, 6:27 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 19,958
^ I see that happening as well.

Why do I have a funny feeling that we will see a gender divide over this? I see more women, particularly moms with kids, working from home (and hence putting off their career advancement) while we will see more men plowing into the office.
__________________
Loving the sound of turbos
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5751  
Old Posted May 4, 2021, 8:39 PM
twister244 twister244 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Funny, I just put together an investor pitch and used a quote from their COO from a couple months ago.

“Going back to the office with 100% of the people 100% of the time, I think there is zero chance of that,” said Daniel Pinto, co-president and chief operating officer of JP Morgan & Chase Co., in a February interview with CNBC.

https://theticker.org/3585/business/...that.%E2%80%9D


I think we're going to see a lot of back office folks working from home more, or on flexible schedules of 3 days in the office 2 days out kind of thing. No doubt that people looking to accelerate their careers as fast as possible are going to be in the office. Decisions are still going to be made in the boardroom and face time is crucial for building relationships. Still, I've seen multiple institutional tenants who had renewals in the past year give back 10-15% of their office space. We're not going to be flicking a switch and going back to 2019 as soon as everyone is vaccinated.
I agree with some of this, but there definitely large permanent changes that have been made. Maybe for *some* people, they need that face time, but for many many of us, we simply don't need it. Especially for those of us who work with teams across different regions already. This is an ongoing tug-of-war where some larger companies think they are just going to drag everyone back to the office ASAP. What they don't understand is you opened the flood gates, and it's impossible to herd cats back in now. And for those who push hard enough, there will be another company somewhere that will hire them and let them continue to work remotely.

I think anyone who thinks we are magically going back to 2019 office commuting patterns anytime soon is vastly underestimating the permanent lasting changes this pandemic has had.....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5752  
Old Posted May 4, 2021, 9:23 PM
Pedestrian's Avatar
Pedestrian Pedestrian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 17,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I see that happening as well.

Why do I have a funny feeling that we will see a gender divide over this? I see more women, particularly moms with kids, working from home (and hence putting off their career advancement) while we will see more men plowing into the office.
It seems pretty clear to me: The folks looking to climb the corporate ladder are going to be in the office and the fewer competitors they see there, the happier they will be. The seat warmers will spend as much time as they can at home. And yeah, the folks answering your customer service call for minimum wage may be on their own couch but niether they nor the company really see that as a career.

My guess is people will gradually drift back into the office more and more as they figure out who’s getting promoted and who’s getting more responsibility and pats on the back from the boss. They may never be required to spend much time there but will figure out it’s career enhancing. And the era of the Zoom meeting may pass as well. Jamie Dimon also said he’s looking forward to cancelling all his.

Quote:
After more than a year of working virtually during the pandemic, executives in banking and technology are pushing back on the idea that workers should be able to do their jobs entirely from home in the coming months. Though some said they expect more flexible work arrangements to endure going forward, they say there are clear signs of burnout in an era of nonstop video calls.

Eric Yuan, the CEO of Zoom, told a virtual audience of The Wall Street Journal’s CEO Council Summit Tuesday that he had personally experienced Zoom fatigue. On one day last year, he said he had 19 Zoom meetings in a row.

“I’m so tired of that,” Mr. Yuan said, adding that he no longer books back-to-back Zoom calls. “I do have meeting fatigue.”

Like many companies, Zoom is planning an eventual return to its offices, Mr. Yuan said. Zoom’s employees will most likely be asked to come into an office two days a week, and work from home the rest of the time, he said . . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/even-th...ue-11620151459

Last edited by Pedestrian; May 5, 2021 at 2:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5753  
Old Posted May 4, 2021, 10:25 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 19,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I agree with some of this, but there definitely large permanent changes that have been made. Maybe for *some* people, they need that face time, but for many many of us, we simply don't need it. Especially for those of us who work with teams across different regions already. This is an ongoing tug-of-war where some larger companies think they are just going to drag everyone back to the office ASAP. What they don't understand is you opened the flood gates, and it's impossible to herd cats back in now. And for those who push hard enough, there will be another company somewhere that will hire them and let them continue to work remotely.

I think anyone who thinks we are magically going back to 2019 office commuting patterns anytime soon is vastly underestimating the permanent lasting changes this pandemic has had.....


Good luck. I think some of you are really overvaluing your “talent” and are in for a serious reality check. You can dispense with your employer to find a job that fits your needs to plant your butt at home but that doesn’t mean they can’t do the same.

And the global Zoom-based workforce is........HUGE
__________________
Loving the sound of turbos
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5754  
Old Posted May 4, 2021, 10:44 PM
twister244 twister244 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post


Good luck. I think some of you are really overvaluing your “talent” and are in for a serious reality check. You can dispense with your employer to find a job that fits your needs to plant your butt at home but that doesn’t mean they can’t do the same.

And the global Zoom-based workforce is........HUGE
You don't even know what I do for a living, or what my specific talents are.

With that said, companies allowing remote work doesn't just cut on office expenses, but it also opens the potential talent pool to people who they might not otherwise be able to tap into. My company is SAAS-based, but has a huge R&D component to in with the sciences, which is where talent there can be niche and harder to find.

Our company is definitely more on the "liberal" side of this issue. We are <200 employees and Boston-based, but have a large office in Tel Avi, and a smaller on in Boulder. Since the beginning of the pandemic, we have hired people all over the US, and all over the World (Tokyo, Ukraine, India, Tel Aviv). One of our scientists is working remotely on a beach in Costa Rica with his family. We have people now from CA to FL and in-between, with no indication that anyone is going to be forced into a central office anytime soon.

That's my experience, but I suspect many other companies are showing some similar patterns over the past year.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5755  
Old Posted May 4, 2021, 11:00 PM
craigs's Avatar
craigs craigs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Volcanoes and Wolves
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post


Good luck. I think some of you are really overvaluing your “talent” and are in for a serious reality check. You can dispense with your employer to find a job that fits your needs to plant your butt at home but that doesn’t mean they can’t do the same.

And the global Zoom-based workforce is........HUGE
And I think you are so personally invested in real estate that suffers when workers are not forced to physically commute into CBD offices that your advocacy for forcing others to in-person work is just you pushing what will be most profitable for yourself.

Ditto for many of the CEOs who either oversaw the construction or long-term leasing of pricey CBD real estate.

Meanwhile, the kind of worker who will insist on refraining from daily, grinding commutes will be precisely those with the talent to make such a demand.
__________________
Politics is war without bloodshed. War is politics with bloodshed. The fascist Republican terrorists first launched their bloody war against America on January 6.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5756  
Old Posted May 4, 2021, 11:37 PM
jtown,man jtown,man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
AMEN!

This last weekend has been the most normal I've experienced here since this all started.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5757  
Old Posted May 5, 2021, 1:31 AM
twister244 twister244 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Also meant to comment on this - This is great to hear!

I think Lorrie is doing it right here. Put a date out for people to look forward to, give them that push to go get the vaccine. This makes me so f'ing excited I chose to come to Chicago for the Summer now. Ugh.... I can't wait.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5758  
Old Posted May 5, 2021, 1:32 AM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 19,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Also meant to comment on this - This is great to hear!

I think Lorrie is doing it right here. Put a date out for people to look forward to, give them that push to go get the vaccine. This makes me so f'ing excited I chose to come to Chicago for the Summer now. Ugh.... I can't wait.
Agreed. We need an end to this. Putting forth a date has a positive psychological impact
__________________
Loving the sound of turbos
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5759  
Old Posted May 5, 2021, 1:35 AM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 23,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I think Lorrie is doing it right here.
Because you're about to become a temporary local, just an FYI...

Her first name is spelled "Lori".

__________________
If a Pizza is baked in a forest, and no one is around to eat it, is it still delicious?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5760  
Old Posted May 5, 2021, 2:50 AM
Pedestrian's Avatar
Pedestrian Pedestrian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 17,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post


Good luck. I think some of you are really overvaluing your “talent” and are in for a serious reality check. You can dispense with your employer to find a job that fits your needs to plant your butt at home but that doesn’t mean they can’t do the same.

And the global Zoom-based workforce is........HUGE
My guess is it's going to be a drift. We will start off with people being required to show up in the office maybe 2 days a week, largely for meetings and group planning sessions. But you will start to see certain people there more and more and others will get the "feeling" it pays to be where things are being decided and the boss is available and will start checking in more often. No one may ever tell them they have to. And yeah, people with really special talents may be allowed to be totally "cloud" employees. But the recent engineering and computer science grads who pre-COVID flocked to tech centers for their first overpaid jobs? I think they better actually meet the boss in person and let him/her see a lot of them or they may become just cannon fodder for the less important tasks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:36 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.