HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
As these asswipes continue to demolish more of the building....

Circles developers ask City Council for tax incentive hearing

http://downtowndevil.com/2017/04/20/...4536-355686605
I hope they tear the whole thing down so NIMBY's have nothing to bitch about and maybe learn a lesson about trying to stifle development

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I hope they tear the whole thing down so NIMBY's have nothing to bitch about and maybe learn a lesson about trying to stifle development
What do NIMBY's have to do w/ this? RAA already gave their blessing, it's now in the city's hands lol

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:41 PM
Modulator

Quote:
This development could have been halfway completed by now if the RAA would have not muscled the GPLET away from the development from the get go. The RAA stalled the development, Empire made a few tweaks to the design and then the RAA gave them their blessing EVEN THOUGH, the same amount of the structure was to still be removed as originally planned.

Now even though the RAA is signing off on the development, Stanton and the city council feel as though they need to punish Empire for early demolition....for what??? We now have a half demo'd building that is doing absolutely nothing for the area....no revenue and no residents. City council needs to look at this before Empire decides to finish off the building and leave an empty lot.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
What do NIMBY's have to do w/ this? RAA already gave their blessing, it's now in the city's hands lol
They are the reason development was stalled to begin with.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 8:57 PM

I'm currently across the street from Circles, there's a tractor going ham at the back of the structure. They've closed off McKinley between Central and 1st Ave. Any updates?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
I'm currently across the street from Circles, there's a tractor going ham at the back of the structure. They've closed off McKinley between Central and 1st Ave. Any updates?
I'm assuming the road closure is for this?

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...enix-real.html

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
I'm assuming the road closure is for this?

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...enix-real.html
I don't think so because the fence only surrounds the Circles building. The sidewalk on Central is also blocked off.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:11 PM
BANNED

Circles building prepares for construction

Neighbors have been notified of street closures and upcoming construction for the development at the site of the Circles Records and Tapes building.

The controversial proposed project, The Stewart, which will be at the site of the Circles building, will be developed by the Empire Group. The developers hope to eventually construct a 19-story, multi-family mixed-use project.

A letter neighbors received from UEB Builders notified them of 20-month street closures from McKinley Street, east and west bound from the alley property line to Central Avenue. The letter also came with a hot line number for questions and concerns.

Joe Funk, senior project manager for UEB Builders Inc., responded to a hotline listed on a letter announcing street closures. Funk said that while construction technically has commenced, mainly underground work will take place for a month or two before any structure can go up.

Both the developers, and Jordan Rose, a representative of the developers could not be reached for comment. Last week, Rose said she was not authorized to talk to the media any longer.

There may be more minimal demolition going forward. Funk said it was “nothing more than you could really see from the street, internal columns.” He said there could be a few more little things coming down. On Monday morning, a chunk of the wall on the McKinley Street side was taken down.

The most current plans for the development keep only the front facade of the historic building in place, which includes the old showroom, mezzanine and rotating spire. Nothing will be built above what was once the showroom.

No changes to these plans have been issued by the developer to date.

The construction team will begin working underground before any expected construction begins to build up. (Kara Carlson/DD)

The building has been the subject of controversy for over a year for community members and historic preservationists when Empire Group began partially demolishing the building last April, while discussions concerning its preservation were still taking place between the developer and the city, as well as community groups.

Last week, the developers interrupted the comment session of another hearing to ask City Council directly for a hearing for consideration for a special type of tax incentive known as a Government Property Lease Excise Tax.

These agreements work by having the city take over the rights to a piece of land and lease it back to a developer at a reduced rate.

The city has not had GPLET negotiations with the developers in the year since the building was partially demolished the first time, sparking community and city backlash. At the time, the Community and Economic Development Department recommended closing tax incentive negotiations, a position they have maintained since.

Roosevelt Action Association and the Urban Phoenix Project have both offered conditional support of the project. Downtown Voices Coalition and the Evans Churchill Community Association have both opposed the tax incentive.

The Community and Economic Development department met with the developers a few weeks ago, looking into the updated plan and financials for the building.

“We have all the information that we need on the financial investment and construction costs that they have stated that they will be making in the building, so we do have all the information from them that we need, and it has not changed staff’s position,” CED director Christine Mackay said.

Recent demolition of the already partially-demolished building removed more of the back end and middle of the building. A city ordinance passed at the end of last year, which created a 30-day waiting period for public discussion before demolishing a historic building, further halted the project before more demolition continued.

The 69-year-old building originally housed the Stewart Motor Company.

Contact the reporter at Kara.Carlson@asu.edu

http://downtowndevil.com/2017/04/25/...12bc-355686605

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Circles building prepares for construction

Neighbors have been notified of street closures and upcoming construction for the development at the site of the Circles Records and Tapes building.

The controversial proposed project, The Stewart, which will be at the site of the Circles building, will be developed by the Empire Group. The developers hope to eventually construct a 19-story, multi-family mixed-use project.

A letter neighbors received from UEB Builders notified them of 20-month street closures from McKinley Street, east and west bound from the alley property line to Central Avenue. The letter also came with a hot line number for questions and concerns.

Joe Funk, senior project manager for UEB Builders Inc., responded to a hotline listed on a letter announcing street closures. Funk said that while construction technically has commenced, mainly underground work will take place for a month or two before any structure can go up.

Both the developers, and Jordan Rose, a representative of the developers could not be reached for comment. Last week, Rose said she was not authorized to talk to the media any longer.

There may be more minimal demolition going forward. Funk said it was “nothing more than you could really see from the street, internal columns.” He said there could be a few more little things coming down. On Monday morning, a chunk of the wall on the McKinley Street side was taken down.

The most current plans for the development keep only the front facade of the historic building in place, which includes the old showroom, mezzanine and rotating spire. Nothing will be built above what was once the showroom.

No changes to these plans have been issued by the developer to date.

The construction team will begin working underground before any expected construction begins to build up. (Kara Carlson/DD)

The building has been the subject of controversy for over a year for community members and historic preservationists when Empire Group began partially demolishing the building last April, while discussions concerning its preservation were still taking place between the developer and the city, as well as community groups.

Last week, the developers interrupted the comment session of another hearing to ask City Council directly for a hearing for consideration for a special type of tax incentive known as a Government Property Lease Excise Tax.

These agreements work by having the city take over the rights to a piece of land and lease it back to a developer at a reduced rate.

The city has not had GPLET negotiations with the developers in the year since the building was partially demolished the first time, sparking community and city backlash. At the time, the Community and Economic Development Department recommended closing tax incentive negotiations, a position they have maintained since.

Roosevelt Action Association and the Urban Phoenix Project have both offered conditional support of the project. Downtown Voices Coalition and the Evans Churchill Community Association have both opposed the tax incentive.

The Community and Economic Development department met with the developers a few weeks ago, looking into the updated plan and financials for the building.

“We have all the information that we need on the financial investment and construction costs that they have stated that they will be making in the building, so we do have all the information from them that we need, and it has not changed staff’s position,” CED director Christine Mackay said.

Recent demolition of the already partially-demolished building removed more of the back end and middle of the building. A city ordinance passed at the end of last year, which created a 30-day waiting period for public discussion before demolishing a historic building, further halted the project before more demolition continued.

The 69-year-old building originally housed the Stewart Motor Company.

Contact the reporter at Kara.Carlson@asu.edu

http://downtowndevil.com/2017/04/25/...12bc-355686605

Excellent, hopefully this bodes well for Derby, Peirce high rises and the potential McKinley and 1st ave development.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 4:12 AM
Modulator

Just a small circles update.

The demolition is pretty much complete. It looks like they are shoring up the remaining structure. Not sure if this will be the permanent wall between Circles and the highrise portion of the Stewart. I'm guessing it will be used temporarily as a construction/leasing office.

As for the Stewart itself, no new news on if the city will give them a new GPLET hearing

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 5:08 AM

Isn't it a good sign that they're moving forward with construction?

Also, it's amazing how quickly those boards got tagged with graffiti. I wonder if kids were waiting in the bushes until the workers went to lunch or something lol.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 4:00 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Isn't it a good sign that they're moving forward with construction?

Also, it's amazing how quickly those boards got tagged with graffiti. I wonder if kids were waiting in the bushes until the workers went to lunch or something lol.
It seems to be a good sign. I'm not sure what's going to happen if they don't get a GPLET. They must be confident they will still receive it.

As for the graffiti, when I was driving around, I couldn't help but notice how many construction projects were tagged. The Broadstone fence on Roosevelt, Circles and a few others had a pretty good amount of graffiti. It's amazing that I don't see a lot of actual buildings tagged.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 4:27 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
As for the graffiti, when I was driving around, I couldn't help but notice how many construction projects were tagged. The Broadstone fence on Roosevelt, Circles and a few others had a pretty good amount of graffiti. It's amazing that I don't see a lot of actual buildings tagged.
I suspect the tagging of constructions sites, rather than completed buildings, is a form of low-level protest or resistance by people who view the new wave of development as unwelcome gentrification.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I suspect the tagging of constructions sites, rather than completed buildings, is a form of low-level protest or resistance by people who view the new wave of development as unwelcome gentrification.
Bingo.

Pretty silly considering that most of these projects near Roosevelt (Stewart, Oscar, Illuminate, The Blocks) are incorporating serious art into their designs.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 6:43 PM

Quote:
It's interesting and sad that there's a group who genuinely hates hard-working and successful people.

Spite.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Do you really believe that?

This isn't a protest. It's just a bunch of degenerates with antisocial tendencies and too much time on their hands. They don't care what they're vandalizing.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 7:08 PM
BANNED

Unfortunate suburban opinions on an urban development board.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Do you really believe that?

This isn't a protest. It's just a bunch of degenerates with antisocial tendencies and too much time on their hands. They don't care what they're vandalizing.
I disagree, you may not have spent enough time in the area to have noticed people carrying signs during first Fridays protesting development. You may also have missed the "Roosevelt Row Good Eats and Luxury Living District" stickers people have been plastering on public property. Maybe you missed the "this isn't what it was" spray painted on the Flowers building a couple of months ago. Hell someone I follow on Instagram even has recently posted photos in protest of Roosevelt's gentrification and uses hash tags like #eattherich #ruinedmycity and similar.

There absolutely is a group with enough time and energy to deface and destroy what we hard-working people have worked hard to build and maintain.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I disagree, you may not have spent enough time in the area to have noticed people carrying signs during first Fridays protesting development. You may also have missed the "Roosevelt Row Good Eats and Luxury Living District" stickers people have been plastering on public property. Maybe you missed the "this isn't what it was" spray painted on the Flowers building a couple of months ago. Hell someone I follow on Instagram even has recently posted photos in protest of Roosevelt's gentrification and uses hash tags like #eattherich #ruinedmycity and similar.

There absolutely is a group with enough time and energy to deface and destroy what we hard-working people have worked hard to build and maintain.
These people make me roll my eyes You spend time making a neighborhood nice and interesting and then you are surprised when people want to start spending time there? If they want to live in a half abandoned borderline ghetto central Phoenix has no shortage of those neighborhoods!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest