HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 11:58 PM
Skyriser

As was posted in the Tempe Projects Thread, Paradise Hawaiian BBQ is taking over Yasda Bento at 18 W Adams.

Yasda had been there 20 years and seems to be another casualty in the list of now-closed lunch-only spots.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 12:10 AM
Skyriser

Also, it's nuts to think that a seven story hotel is going where a single house was up until 2006.

Talk about densification.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:45 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
As was posted in the Tempe Projects Thread, Paradise Hawaiian BBQ is taking over Yasda Bento at 18 W Adams.

Yasda had been there 20 years and seems to be another casualty in the list of now-closed lunch-only spots.
The patriarch of the family who owned and operated the business died over the summer, so the closure may be related, at least in part, to his loss. Nevertheless, I agree that restaurants open only on weekdays and only until 3 PM are rapidly vanishing downtown. It's a model that worked when the city center was deserted after dark, but with that no longer being the case, landlords now want tenants with evening and weekend hours, as well as liquor licenses.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 8:08 PM
Modulator

PHX Rising?

Just curious to which one of you guys created this site?

https://phxrising.city/

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Just curious to which one of you guys created this site?

https://phxrising.city/
*raises hand*
Wanted to create a site for development news downtown with a DB of projects and such. I'm really just getting started on it, want to add more "New Urbanist advocacy / Pro-development community in Phoenix" kind of stuff.
If anyone wants to assist, PM me.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 1:06 PM
self-important urbanista

Back on the theme of "lunch-only" restaurant closings, A Touch of Yogurt at First Avenue and Washington closed its doors for good yesterday. It had a run of three decades as place for '80s-style frozen yogurt with no weekend or evening hours. I would love to have a quality, independent ice cream shop in the downtown core that stays open nights and weekends. There's Melt within Jobot on Roosevelt and a more contemporary yogurt place in CityScape, nothing like Sweet Republic or Churn in the central business district.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Back on the theme of "lunch-only" restaurant closings, A Touch of Yogurt at First Avenue and Washington closed its doors for good yesterday. It had a run of three decades as place for '80s-style frozen yogurt with no weekend or evening hours. I would love to have a quality, independent ice cream shop in the downtown core that stays open nights and weekends. There's Melt within Jobot on Roosevelt and a more contemporary yogurt place in CityScape, nothing like Sweet Republic or Churn in the central business district.
I'm really starting to wonder what they're doing with this corner of the building. Tom's Tavern next door to there has been closed for a couple years now and no sign of anything in there, on a corner with as much pedestrian traffic as any in Phoenix. They even removed the railings that had provided a nice patio for shaded dining.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 11:16 PM

Sorry for the bad cell phone pic while driving but it looks like the to brothers thing is actually happening.

[IMG]

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Sorry for the bad cell phone pic while driving but it looks like the to brothers thing is actually happening.

[IMG]
It's okay. Not too bad at all. Don't used your iPhone while you driving in a car. It could be very dangerous. Next time you please parked the car.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 1:45 PM

I'm an adult, thanks.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 3:33 PM

My bad brain...which project is this?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 3:44 PM

the address is 31 e thomas, toll brothers. no construction permits yet but demo permit... obviously. Haverly Apartments

"DESCRIPTION OF WORK: 4 STORY APARTMENT BUILDING WITH 256 UNITS."

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 6:10 PM

Thanks, BD!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 9:23 PM

Looks like the ol' Henkel building is being bought with the intention to be redeveloped as medical/ research space. Nice since the Valley has been attracting a lot of investment into medical schools and hospitals as of late (especially since the ASU/ Mayo campus is not far away).

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 9:22 PM
Chase M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyPHX View Post
*raises hand*
Wanted to create a site for development news downtown with a DB of projects and such. I'm really just getting started on it, want to add more "New Urbanist advocacy / Pro-development community in Phoenix" kind of stuff.
If anyone wants to assist, PM me.
Very nice are you going to make this similar to the DenverInfill & Denver Urbanism Blogs I assume but for Phoenix?

https://denverinfill.com/blog/
https://denverurbanism.com/

Last edited by ChaseM; Oct 23, 2018 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseM View Post
Very nice are you going to make this similar to the DenverInfill & Denver Urbanism Blogs I assume but for Phoenix?

https://denverinfill.com/blog/
https://denverurbanism.com/
Possibly. Just wish I had more time to write/was a better writer heh.

Went by block 23 today, looks good:

Last edited by AnthonyPHX; Oct 25, 2018 at 7:44 AM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 5:22 PM

Downtown Phoenix's rebirth has been decades in the making. Here's how they did it

Pretty cool article on AZ Central about the resurgence of downtown Phoenix

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ks/1534788002/
Quote:
Keeping momentum

There is a tangible fear inside Phoenix City Hall that downtown could backslide once again — that people will decide to move back to the suburbs and take the high-paying jobs with them.

"If we don't keep our eye on the ball, it will absolutely happen again," Mackay said.

She said the city must keep adding housing to the downtown core and continue to add the retail and restaurant components that people want near their homes.

Downtown will soon need a hardware store and other stores that sell conveniences, said downtown proponents.

Crow and Wellington "Duke" Reiter, a senior adviser to the president at ASU, want a downtown that extends from the downtown core to the Phoenix Art Museum and Heard Museum on Central Avenue and McDowell Road.

The plan, dubbed "the Central Idea," calls for activities and engagement opportunities along the full span from the core to the museums. It could include restaurants, retail, exhibitions, civic events and green space.

"When people can spend a day doing all kinds of things never having gotten in a car and say, 'You've got to go to Phoenix, you have to see what's going on there' … I think we'll really be getting somewhere," Reiter said.

And while that may seem like a lofty goal, a flourishing downtown Phoenix campus once was, too.

The Central Idea would bump Phoenix from a great regional city to a great national city, Crow said. It would connect all the main pieces of downtown Phoenix's success — the campus, the museums, the arts district and the government buildings.

"We think downtown Phoenix has unbelievable potential," Crow said.

Mackay stressed that the city cannot rest on its laurels, but must instead continue to grow and change with the evolving needs and desires of the community.

"We have got to always be reinventing ourselves, because if you don't think every other market is continually reinventing themselves, you've got another thing coming," Mackay said.

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Oct 25, 2018 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 8:06 PM

We are finally seeing "buy-in" with the residents of the metro and the leadership which is great. It took a long time but the old "i want to live in my midwest getway far from the city" mentality has faded.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 8:29 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
We are finally seeing "buy-in" with the residents of the metro and the leadership which is great. It took a long time but the old "i want to live in my midwest getway far from the city" mentality has faded.
I think it was inevitable given the size of the Metro population. There's no way a city/metro of this size could continue to sustain itself with single-family home buying retirees. Plus, Phoenix is also finally becoming "hip".

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 8:32 PM

I wish they'd do something east of the Convention Center to help my units in Renaissance Park.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest