HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
There hasnt been anything formal announced. But the plans were submitted a month ago and they recently showed up on the one stop shop. Given the fact these were recently submitted its safe to assume that this project is still moving forward. Wouldnt have been reasonable to submit in July otherwise.
I'm interested to see how they are going to make that building luxury.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 10:15 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolafan View Post
I'm interested to see how they are going to make that building luxury.
With the right amount of creativity you can make anything luxury and high design...
Just look at wtf/ four seasons or the dewberry in charleston south carolina

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 2:04 AM
TL;DR

The Standard in LA is my favorite example of turning a drab modernist office building into a luxe hotel... I dunno if the Fairmont will be that caliber, but we'll have to wait and see.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 12:00 PM

I'm curious what the thoughts are about moving City Hall to the Municipal Auditorium at Armstrong Park?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 3:11 AM

virgin Bankruptcy

I wonder if the Virgin bankruptcy will have any effect on the hotel?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by York1 View Post
I wonder if the Virgin bankruptcy will have any effect on the hotel?
That was just the airline, Virgin Atlantic. They're technically different businesses, so the hotels are likely insulated.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 1:56 PM
-

#citysquare progress in #nola #neworleans #pontchartrainmechanical
@ New Orleans, Louisiana

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 1:58 PM
-

507 Frenchmen St, Phase 2, first floor·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:ARFWN1
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Dubberley Cynthia
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
8/3/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
EXTERIOR RENOVATION OF FACADE OF 2-STORY BUILDING AT 507 FRENCHMEN. INTERIOR RENOVATION OF 1st FLOOR (1200 S.F.) FOR BAR (CONDITIONAL USE IN HMC-2).

333 Baronne St, Apartments flrs 2-4·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:YSFEM2
Type:
Applicant:
Williams Keely
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
8/3/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Non-Structural renovation of the apartments at 329-333 Baronne on floors 2-4.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 4:47 PM

Market Street Power Plant is up for sale, and its entertainment venue plans fade

https://www.nola.com/news/business/a...0c4e560ba.html

New Orleans developer Joe Jaeger is trying to sell the landmark Market Street Power Plant, marking a likely end to his long-delayed plans to develop the riverside property as momentum stalls on the much larger entertainment district development nearby.

The power plant, which sits on just under two acres along the Mississippi River, is being offered together with seven other adjacent plots of land Jaeger owns near the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center. The asking price is $16.91 million, according to Michael Siegel, president of Corporate Realty, the brokerage engaged to sell the properties.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 5:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
https://www.nola.com/news/business/a...0c4e560ba.html

New Orleans developer Joe Jaeger is trying to sell the landmark Market Street Power Plant, marking a likely end to his long-delayed plans to develop the riverside property as momentum stalls on the much larger entertainment district development nearby.

The power plant, which sits on just under two acres along the Mississippi River, is being offered together with seven other adjacent plots of land Jaeger owns near the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center. The asking price is $16.91 million, according to Michael Siegel, president of Corporate Realty, the brokerage engaged to sell the properties.
The convention center would be silly not to buy this right now.

Also, Hes apparently selling quite a few things right now. Seems to have really overextended himself

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 7:33 PM
-

This park should be finished by end of the year.. nice addition for the neighborhood

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 5:30 PM
-

This is super impressive

This project combines alleyway stormwater storage with lagoon improvements in City Park to increase stormwater storage, improve water quality and enhance green space in City Park. Improved wetlands in City Park accept drainage from Lake Vista.

Project Goals

•Operable weirs allow lowering of water levels in lakes in advance of storm events

•Dredged lake beds provide up to 320M gallons of storage capacity diverted from the drainage system

•Modified lake edges stabilize banks and increase storage capacity

•Budget: $22.2M HMGP; Design start: QTR 4 2019

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 6:16 PM
-

City of New Orleans Launches Outdoor Dining Program

https://www.bizneworleans.com/city-o...ining-program/

301 Canal St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:H2EP45
Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
MCM Resourcing LLC
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
8/13/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Building a hand bag shop for GUCCI. All interior. 1713 sq ft.

837 Camp St·Board of Building Standards and Appeals · Project #BBSA No. 20-41 · Ref Code:XQU4MY
Type:
Board of Building Standards and Appeals
Applicant:
Kenny Lobell
Draft Application
Date Filed:
7/31/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
The applicant is appealing the new construction that will in fill the surface lots between Ozanam Inn and Gambit Newspaper buildings. The proposed use will be mixed with vehicular parking on the first three floors. The fourth and fifth floors will be 12 luxury condominiums (6 units per floor) and a sixth floor restaurant setback from the building perimeter. NOTE: 841 Camp Street could not be used as per Ms. Eneidfa E. Allison on August 12, 2020. 841 Camap Street was changed to 837 Camp St.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 8:53 PM

I like the idea of the grants to restaurants to develop outdoor eating places.

We just got back from Breckenridge, Colorado. While it's a much smaller city, their entire downtown had all cars blocked, and the restaurants all had tables, umbrellas, etc. all in the streets. It was great.

I don't know if it's feasible for New Orleans to completely block traffic, but I think there are certain streets that could be partially closed for an idea like this.

I hope it works out.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 8:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by York1 View Post
I like the idea of the grants to restaurants to develop outdoor eating places.

We just got back from Breckenridge, Colorado. While it's a much smaller city, their entire downtown had all cars blocked, and the restaurants all had tables, umbrellas, etc. all in the streets. It was great.

I don't know if it's feasible for New Orleans to completely block traffic, but I think there are certain streets that could be partially closed for an idea like this.

I hope it works out.
The future phases look great I think especially for the french quarter longterm... I just like the idea of beautifying the streetscape especially in the quarter and warehouse district and canal street

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 4:59 PM
-

VEGAN WIT A TWIST 514 S RAMPART ST NEW ORLEANS LA Orleans AR.36.0000016513-BL AR.BL - CLASS A RESTAURANT BEER AND LIQUOR 3600016513 PENDING 08/12/2020

129 Chartres St·Demolition · Permit #20-36980-DEMO · Ref Code:SA21PW
Download (9) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Demolition
Applicant:
Lanco Construction Inc.
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
8/5/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Applying for a demo permit - interior demo only. Structural stabilization of exterior masonry walls per drawings.

djsnola
233 Decatur St·Interior Demolition · Ref Code:GTGRME
Type:
Interior Demolition
Applicant:
Erika Gates
Draft Application
Date Filed:
8/5/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Demo of interior of 3 story brick building. Including non structural walls, kitchen fixtures, flooring, bathroom fixtures and drop ceilings. In preparation for renovation plans.

djsnola
810 Conti St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:AYDE11
Type:
Applicant:
Miguel Rivera
VOIDED - Duplicate Permit
Date Filed:
8/12/2020
Closed:
Yes
Description:
Convert existing garage into bar as per plans. Must create fire access corridor from rear to Conti street. Use of the common patio for egress is not permitted. Trash may not be stored on the street

615 N Broad St·Renovation (Non-Structural)

· Ref Code:UF7KD7
Print Summary
Add to Watch List
Type:Renovation (Non-Structural)Applicant:Sam Smith JrStatus:Application SubmittedDate Filed:8/11/2020Closed:NoDescription:

Convert vacant unit to a Jazz Club per club

djsnola
3923 Martin Luther King, Jr Blvd·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:5N7B6T
Download (3) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
Protocol Construction LLC
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
8/12/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Conversion of vacant commercial building to an emergency halfway house for women and children per plans.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 11:43 AM

The story of how the WWII museum's canopy project morphed into an 'extremely frustrating' venture
https://outline.com/Y9WmAC

When the National WWII Museum announced in March 2018 that crews would begin erecting the vast Canopy of Peace, it promised by year's end a towering structure that would become a defining feature of the New Orleans skyline.

For a while, however, it appeared that distinction would instead belong to the 450-ton construction crane that went up late that year, only to spend much of the next 17 months idle while the canopy it arrived to hoist triumphantly into the air sat on the ground, its construction beset by defects and delays.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
The story of how the WWII museum's canopy project morphed into an 'extremely frustrating' venture
https://outline.com/Y9WmAC

When the National WWII Museum announced in March 2018 that crews would begin erecting the vast Canopy of Peace, it promised by year's end a towering structure that would become a defining feature of the New Orleans skyline.

For a while, however, it appeared that distinction would instead belong to the 450-ton construction crane that went up late that year, only to spend much of the next 17 months idle while the canopy it arrived to hoist triumphantly into the air sat on the ground, its construction beset by defects and delays.
Good article and some great images. Can't wait to see the lighting.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 8:15 PM
-

ANyone else find it shocking the amount of engineering errors arising in these types of projects? Is there something going on in the training of the architectural/engineering profession that is maybe creating an over reliance on software ?

Its not just a local thing, but between the Higgins Hotel and the Canopy, as well as the dave and busters garage and of course the main one being Hard Rock Hotel .. there seems to be more errors than ever.. whether national or local firm too

Just curious about the thoughts here!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
ANyone else find it shocking the amount of engineering errors arising in these types of projects? Is there something going on in the training of the architectural/engineering profession that is maybe creating an over reliance on software ?

Its not just a local thing, but between the Higgins Hotel and the Canopy, as well as the dave and busters garage and of course the main one being Hard Rock Hotel .. there seems to be more errors than ever.. whether national or local firm too

Just curious about the thoughts here!

My daughter is an engineer in Dallas, and she is also surprised. Her firm has so many checks and double checks, she wonders how some firms operate.

For the canopy, it sounds like the engineering and design were OK, but the steel producer didn't have the checks and reviews they needed.

I would hate to be a structural engineer, and have a failure on my design that injures or kills someone. I'm not sure I could handle the guilt.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations