HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 1:44 AM

Update on the Forum renos. I have a sinking feeling that Council wants to tear it down. I hope I'm wrong.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/halifax-...orum-1.4630185

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 7:50 AM

I have participated in trade shows there over a number of years and to me the place is just not suitable for them. So if people want to save the ice rink(s) fine but the rest of the complex needs to be torn down and started new with current standards especially heating and air conditioning and also functioning layout of space.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
I have participated in trade shows there over a number of years and to me the place is just not suitable for them. So if people want to save the ice rink(s) fine but the rest of the complex needs to be torn down and started new with current standards especially heating and air conditioning and also functioning layout of space.
Agreed. The proposal for the reboot of the complex may address these issues but I would like to see the specifics revisited to make sure. The members of the Forum Commission may not have been the best ones to determine what the new version of the complex looks like for exactly the reasons you state. If they have felt the existing situation was fine for the last few decades I would want to make sure the new version proposed addresses the many shortcomings, since the Commission apparently never felt it was a high priority to deal with them.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 2:09 PM

This area of Halifax will likely see the greatest change over the next 20 years with the Ramia development across the street, the Midtown development and maybe even development of the overhead rights over Superstore.

The whole block that includes the Forum is in play. There remains the potential that Canada Post will opt to move out to the suburbs and Bragg continues to own most of the land on the east end.

I heard a rumour last year that the Mayflower curling rink was given an offer to sell its land.

In terms of a new re-development of the Forum, perhaps it would be wise to consider the Mayflower club as a partner in any project. Let them sell their land and invest the proceeds into a new Forum complex that includes a curling rink and social club.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Update on the Forum renos. I have a sinking feeling that Council wants to tear it down. I hope I'm wrong.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/halifax-...orum-1.4630185
Again, the city is taking a pure dollars and cents approach with no consideration of what might be lost. The standard answer is "it's too expensive", unless it involves whatever is trendy and popular for the day, then it's 'do it at all costs'...

Yeah, after all the project costs are tallied, it may be cheaper to build new, but what will be lost? The freakin' Halifax Forum is what! Any new building will never be able to replace the history and charm of the Forum. It would be a loss to the neighborhood, and to the city as a whole.

That said, some of the more recent featureless additions could probably be replaced without much loss to the character of the place. They could build new there but keep the original 1927 building as the centerpiece of the project. To talk about tearing it down displays a complete lack of vision.

I agree with others on here who say that Halifax councillors still seem to think this is a small city - afraid to take on any project that might cost money but end up with a great overall finished product. The stadium is one example, and this appears to be another.

Sigh... we'll see what happens I suppose, but damn I don't want them to tear it down.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues