HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 6:11 PM

Flynn Flats 2018-8-24 by DwN~toWN Halifax, on Flickr

The crane went up 7 months ago....and now topped out already! This one is 10 stories at the highest level.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 1:36 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 12:02 PM

Brick is going in on the upper floors, and the front doors and windows are going in on the Bishop St. townhouses. I never fail to be impressed by Dexel's quality of design and the efficiency of their project management.

Also, the title of this thread should be updated to Flynn Flats.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 3:25 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 5:19 PM

Have no fear, the red wall is not a repeat of the Dillon; it is almost fully covered up now with a ceramic tile-type product.

Glass and doors are mostly in on the ground floors.

And for you crane watchers: I got a notice in my mailbox that Hollis is going to be closed this coming weekend to facilitate the removal of the crane.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 8:54 PM

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 6:18 PM

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:31 PM

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 10:45 PM

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:04 PM

I'm super happy with this tile cladding product they're using.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I'm super happy with this tile cladding product they're using.
I was at first as well, but as more and more of it goes up the less I am liking it. It doesn't quite pull off being sandstone as they had hoped and the manufactured and repeated designs on the panels are very evident if you look for more than a few seconds.

I will still wait to see the final product when all the other components are added but I think this material is not well suited to replicate stone or textured patterns over a large area.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:20 PM

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 9:51 PM

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I was at first as well, but as more and more of it goes up the less I am liking it. It doesn't quite pull off being sandstone as they had hoped and the manufactured and repeated designs on the panels are very evident if you look for more than a few seconds.

I will still wait to see the final product when all the other components are added but I think this material is not well suited to replicate stone or textured patterns over a large area.
Yeah, I was just by there this afternoon, and it kind of looks like a floor-tile pattern, mis-assembled, at a massive scale. Plain grey or white stone would have been much better. I'm pretty happy with the building otherwise, so maybe this won't end up being such a big deal.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
There needs to be an effort now to try to hold on to any old buildings that are left on that street.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
There needs to be an effort now to try to hold on to any old buildings that are left on that street.
Yep. This is a really architecturally dense and rich area, with buildings spanning almost three centuries. It is part of a planed heritage-conservation district, which has been in the works for years and years yet still seems to be years and years from implementation.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:31 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's usually pretty easy to tell which ones are well cared for and which are at risk. For example, those wooden rowhouses on Morris Street are always kept in good shape, but I wouldn't be surprised if the owner tries to sell or tear down the 3 storey apartment building across from Flynn Flats. It's too bad; a good restoration job could turn that into a very attractive building that would complement the neighbourhood well. The same was true of the buildings torn down for Flynn Flats.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Yep. This is a really architecturally dense and rich area, with buildings spanning almost three centuries. It is part of a planed heritage-conservation district, which has been in the works for years and years yet still seems to be years and years from implementation.
Hopefully it will be implemented while there are still some heritage buildings left!

On that topic, have there been any updates on these two Barrington St. buildings that are at risk of demolition?
https://goo.gl/maps/QmMCVPhaUGu

https://goo.gl/maps/RJDpaZZhNT82

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's usually pretty easy to tell which ones are well cared for and which are at risk. For example, those wooden rowhouses on Morris Street are always kept in good shape, but I wouldn't be surprised if the owner tries to sell or tear down the 3 storey apartment building across from Flynn Flats. It's too bad; a good restoration job could turn that into a very attractive building that would complement the neighbourhood well. The same was true of the buildings torn down for Flynn Flats.
Actually, the 3 buildings torn down for Flynn Flats didn't look that bad, other than the standard 'modernizing' that had been done to them over the years. They really could have shone with a Hal Forbes-style refurbishing, but it's a little too late for than now... on both counts unfortunately.

https://goo.gl/maps/2wJ34rFp7z52

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Hopefully it will be implemented while there are still some heritage buildings left!

On that topic, have there been any updates on these two Barrington St. buildings that are at risk of demolition?
I know the city and owner were trying to reach a decision that would preserve them in full. The developer applied for demolition three years ago as of last October, so he can legally demolish them now--but that period ends as of this October, after which he'd have to apply for a new permit, and wait another three years. I haven't heard anything about it, and four months after demolition was permissible both buildings are still occupied, so I guess that's a good sign, thought not definitive.

As for the building across from Flynn Flats, yeah, that would be an atrocious loss. It's pitiful that the conversation district for here has been in a holding pattern for so long.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth