HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I think you have to be careful when you are talking about the Mirvish Gehry towers because there are a lot of local plan issues with that. The Corridors/Avenues Plan of Toronto's Official Community Plan didn't consider the site for high rise, so they were asking for a huge variance from the policy which the chief planner felt was inappropriate. The OMB will deal with that question because it really comes down to what is more important: density or the plan that council approved.

Frankly; the challenge I have with Ontario's system is that despite council making a decision (and case law showing that most court's tend to favour the decision of council as being the key decision makers by statute) you can steel appeal it. I think there are sometimes a decision of a local council should be appeal-able in certain cases, but in Ontario all decisions of council on land use can be and that just isn't right to me. In Alberta, if a plan is brought forward to council - once it's adopted; you can't appeal that. That seems to be the more appropriate way to go - you get one crack at the can (that seems to be the way it is in NS too). But the fact you can appeal parts of all of a new zoning bylaw and that it takes years to implement; that 's silly.

I agree with your point about the Halifax market though - it is drastically underserved for condos, but hasn't proven that the market can handle more (with certainty). I think there is still some reluctance of banks to fund projects until other ones have gone forward and sold out. It's only the power house markets like Toronto, Vancouver and now Calgary where the lenders seem to be more willing to take risk. I think this was underscored by the building that went up near the commons and how the lender went out on a limb and that building still hasn't sold yet. I'm referring to this building.
Also pertinent to the Mirvish/Gehry thing is the demolition of three listed heritaage structures, which is raising a lot of hackles in Toronto, and Jennifer Keesmaat (chief planner)'s contention that the density may be TOO much to handle there. The King streetcar can only take so much, after all.

As far as Halifax condos, I didn't know about that Commons project, but I know projects like the Grainery have sold well, and didn't Southport hit a pre-sales record? So demand is there...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Also pertinent to the Mirvish/Gehry thing is the demolition of three listed heritaage structures, which is raising a lot of hackles in Toronto, and Jennifer Keesmaat (chief planner)'s contention that the density may be TOO much to handle there. The King streetcar can only take so much, after all.

As far as Halifax condos, I didn't know about that Commons project, but I know projects like the Grainery have sold well, and didn't Southport hit a pre-sales record? So demand is there...
Exactly about the M/G project there is a lot more to the situation than meets the eye. The Ontario Planning Act has section 37 which I've heard planners like Paul Bedford call the 'let's make a deal' section. It's all about getting public benefits for increased density - hence why many of the high rise buildings exist. The Planner works with the applicant to obtain a public plaza or park or whatever. I don't know of any other Provinces that have such an open policy for public benefit - HRM uses some component of it through HbD but nothing near is broad.

I don't think Halifax has hit the condo sales levels seen in the big markets, but it's improving. But many bankers (like nimby residents) focus on the anecdotal rather than the fact. You may recall I've said before, as humans we tend to see something much worse than it is. Traffic is bad on every street - well of course it is during rush hour because everyone else is trying to use the street too (I think you get my drift). If they start hearing more about condos selling out fast in Halifax, their opinions will change. It will just take time...University City here in Calgary the second building sold out in 15 minutes (which, to my knowledge, was the first time that ever happened in Calgary). Something like that - tends to be quite surprising and opinion changing.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 11:26 PM

The DRC will decide the fate of this proposal next week (April 10th, 2014). The applicant is seeking variances on setbacks, ground-floor wall height, and post-bonus height. These are issues that have arisen because they plan to retain the facade of the existing building.

Design Review Committee - April 10th, 2014 - Case 19156

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 1:16 AM

BREAKING: Approved tonight by the DRC.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 1:50 AM

The current tenant of the building (Night Magic Fashions) has been given 2-months notice to vacate;

"Landlord Pulls Plug On Halifax's Night Magic" - TheChronicleHerald.ca (May 2nd, 2014)

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 7:11 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The current tenant of the building (Night Magic Fashions) has been given 2-months notice to vacate;
I hope they find a new spot but this neighbourhood has changed a lot over the past few years. The natural process is often for businesses like this to move to secondary neighbourhoods like Gottingen/Agricola as rents go up. This is a good thing, and Halifax is lucky to have a lot of pre-war neighbourhoods to grow back into.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I hope they find a new spot but this neighbourhood has changed a lot over the past few years. The natural process is often for businesses like this to move to secondary neighbourhoods like Gottingen/Agricola as rents go up. This is a good thing, and Halifax is lucky to have a lot of pre-war neighbourhoods to grow back into.
Personally I really think empty lots like on corner of Blowers and Granville St should have retail space built on them for things like this, there are so many gravel pits that we really don't need businesses being nudged out of the city . I also don't think the old Tribeca space will ever been a bar again, they should move in that space.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 4:55 PM
armchairitect

looks like the building is now empty. It sounds like they are gutting the interior.

Its right next to the Nova Center, so might as well blog it too
http://marketlofts.tumblr.com/

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 2:48 PM

Their website (http://mosaikproperties.ca/proposed-...-announcement/) says something about a pending announcement about the project.

When I walked by this morning I noticed new lights installed on the facade and the main retail space has a new chandelier and floor. Either they are delaying the project and doing an alternate interim plan with the building or my other guess is that it could be condo's instead of apartments and this is going to be a sales centre to pre sell units.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:19 PM

I asked them about this, and they said the interior of the building wasn't being demolished for the expatiation on the building, only the old tazz record spot was.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
I asked them about this, and they said the interior of the building wasn't being demolished for the expatiation on the building, only the old tazz record spot was.
If that's correct, it's way better. Some old internal brick walls are great for interior character, and frankly, this is a really solid old commercial structure of the kind we don't have many of any longer.

Maybe they're renovating the building first since it's quick and cheap, and then they'll build beside/on-top of it later? But even then, I can't imagine they'd rent it right now... Even if they do preserve portions of the interior, it's not going to be habitable space during construction.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 4:40 PM

Quote:
If that's correct, it's way better. Some old internal brick walls are great for interior character, and frankly, this is a really solid old commercial structure of the kind we don't have many of any longer.

Maybe they're renovating the building first since it's quick and cheap, and then they'll build beside/on-top of it later? But even then, I can't imagine they'd rent it right now... Even if they do preserve portions of the interior, it's not going to be habitable space during construction.
Not sure if there would be internal brick walls, probably would be wooden interior walls. Any exterior walls would have insulation on the inside of the walls.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 4:43 PM

Quote:
I agree!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Not sure if there would be internal brick walls, probably would be wooden interior walls. Any exterior walls would have insulation on the inside of the walls.
But couldn't you remove/strip away that insulation? It wouldn't be permanent.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
But couldn't you remove/strip away that insulation? It wouldn't be permanent.
My point was that insulation would be needed on the inside walls, whether there currently or not. Brick walls are nice but there would need be be insulation. There are lovely interior brick walls at the old Greenvale School, but they had to add the insulation to the outside of the building to have the exposed interior brick walls.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
My point was that insulation would be needed on the inside walls, whether there currently or not. Brick walls are nice but there would need be be insulation. There are lovely interior brick walls at the old Greenvale School, but they had to add the insulation to the outside of the building to have the exposed interior brick walls.
I'm far from a building engineer, but it seems to me that the vast majority of factory conversions and that sort of thing I remember from living in Toronto featured exposed brick on interior walls. Haven't been in many here since we're a woodier city.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 7:17 PM
armchairitect

the walls are solid masonry - no insulation. I'm not sure the r-value on these, but they are at least a foot thick, so I would imagine its not as bad a plywood on studs wall with no insulation.

I know whats going on, though I cant discuss it yet. Suffice it to say, I'm excited about the project, and yes - it will have a blog. http://marketlofts.builthalifax.ca/

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
though I cant discuss it yet.
Why not. They were perfectly fine with discussing it with me as complete stranger walking along the street and poking my head in asking how they were proceeding

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
Why not. They were perfectly fine with discussing it with me as complete stranger walking along the street and poking my head in asking how they were proceeding
you probably have nothing to lose by saying what you know.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
the walls are solid masonry - no insulation. I'm not sure the r-value on these, but they are at least a foot thick, so I would imagine its not as bad a plywood on studs wall with no insulation.

I know whats going on, though I cant discuss it yet. Suffice it to say, I'm excited about the project, and yes - it will have a blog. http://marketlofts.builthalifax.ca/
need to know basis, nuff said,

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth