HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 1:03 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

This thread is lols.

For the record, neither city will get an NHL team any time soon (sure, maybe in a couple decades as has been mentioned), and to be honest, they shouldn't even be striving for one right now (I'd love to see the CFL in both).

Perhaps Halifax could have a decent AHL rivalry with St. John's.

As for the city-vs-city bs, if this weren't a relatively undiscovered local section, those posts wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes. I haven't spent much time in Halifax, but the few hours I have spent walking around the core have led me to believe it kicks ass, and would be my favourite city in Atlantic Canada. I have spent a couple months working in Saskatoon, and it's one of my favourite small cities in the country - great summertime weather (and for cold freaks like myself, awesome winter weather too) and far more outdoor recreation opportunities than people realize. Broadway is one of the best streets I've seen in a city that size. I'll admit, before I spent the better part of three winters in Saskatchewan I too made fun of the province, but now that I'm more familiar with it, I find myself defending the province all the time.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 8:04 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
This thread is lols.

For the record, neither city will get an NHL team any time soon (sure, maybe in a couple decades as has been mentioned), and to be honest, they shouldn't even be striving for one right now (I'd love to see the CFL in both).

Perhaps Halifax could have a decent AHL rivalry with St. John's.

As for the city-vs-city bs, if this weren't a relatively undiscovered local section, those posts wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes. I haven't spent much time in Halifax, but the few hours I have spent walking around the core have led me to believe it kicks ass, and would be my favourite city in Atlantic Canada. I have spent a couple months working in Saskatoon, and it's one of my favourite small cities in the country - great summertime weather (and for cold freaks like myself, awesome winter weather too) and far more outdoor recreation opportunities than people realize. Broadway is one of the best streets I've seen in a city that size. I'll admit, before I spent the better part of three winters in Saskatchewan I too made fun of the province, but now that I'm more familiar with it, I find myself defending the province all the time.
Yes, I think we all get your unspoken meaning - Calgary is so much better!!! Kind of like - Toronto is so much better - but without the same confidence.

In any case, I have been to 3 NHL games in the 30 years that I have lived in Ontario (1 game in Toronto and 2 games in Buffalo) and all 3 games were boring (and I was a big fan growing up in the Maritimes and watching it on Hockey Night in Canada). The Hockey Night in Canada hype is just that. Major Junior A is more entertaining. In fact, I was far more entertained by an Ontario Provincial Junior A game.

As for this being a relatively undiscovered "local section", I am sure everyone on the Canadian forums know of this local section but many just aren't interested, which is understandable. Here is a movie for you - "Let's All Hate Toronto" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1135977/ . A Torontonian went all across Canada presenting an obvious Toronto_is_so_much_better attitude. When he was in Halifax he would say "Toronto is so much better" hoping for a reaction of annoyance. Instead, the usual response was just laughter and people would say things like "of course Toronto is better than Halifax" - he just couldn't get much of a reaction in Halifax. Ayreonaut, you seem to have the Calgary_is_so_much_better attitude.

Last edited by fenwick16; Oct 21, 2011 at 8:16 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 4:32 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

What? I don't even...

Now I see how this thread turned into a city vs city. I come here and say that I think Halifax is awesome, and that it's probably my favourite city in the region, and you still get defensive? I don't get it, are you upset that I dare say something positive about Saskatoon? I didn't even mention Calgary.

And yeah, Junior and AHL hockey is very entertaining. One of the best games I've ever seen was a WHL playoff match between the Hitmen and the Kootney Ice a few years back.

Really, I'd like to say more to defend my post, but I'm honestly at a loss for words as to how you could have taken it so negatively.

Edit: as for the "undiscovered section" thing - It's just that in places like City Discussions, blatant city vs city posts get deleted quickly before things turn into SSC-style flame wars. Moderation tends to be less strict in the local sections (and for the most part, these sections don't need to be monitored as closely).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 5:07 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I do keep an eye on things in here. The only thread that has been a real problem is the stadium thread. For most other "city vs. city" type debates I find the conversation peters out, particularly if there's real content to displace it, which is fine. I prefer avoiding moderator intervention when possible.

The Atlantic local is actually surprisingly busy now. When I started on SSP about 10 years ago I think I was one of only a couple regular Maritime forumers. For a long time after that there was a single Halifax project thread. Now the Halifax local has 35,000 posts and Atlantic has 64,000. Atlantic is one of the biggest sections on SSP now, has lots of discussion every day, and even seems to be somewhat well known locally in the sense that city councillors and others definitely keep an eye on what is said here.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The Atlantic local is actually surprisingly busy now. When I started on SSP about 10 years ago I think I was one of only a couple regular Maritime forumers. For a long time after that there was a single Halifax project thread. Now the Halifax local has 35,000 posts and Atlantic has 64,000. Atlantic is one of the biggest sections on SSP now, has lots of discussion every day, and even seems to be somewhat well known locally in the sense that city councillors and others definitely keep an eye on what is said here.
Kinda of topic, but now that you mention the old thread, have you hear if there has been any progress on making the old "pre-local" threads available again? I know I read that Dylan was working on it in the Skybar section, but I haven't seen anything of late about it. I'd love to look back over the last 10+ years to see how things have changed.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 6:37 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I remember someone had re-posted a link to those this year. I think they were from about 2008 and before. Pretty cool looking back. There was some really good pictures of The Martello when it was being built.

So I can say I kept this on topic though. NHL is a tough one. I'm really surprised that Winnipeg pulled it off. I'm thrilled about it though. Halifax was mentioned by Gary Bettman as a possible expansion city but I don't know what time frame he has in mind. I'm not going to say it won't happen in 20-30 years but I really doubt we could support what an NHL franchise demands right now. That's not to say either that NHL may go through some business changes of it's own. Maybe they will find ways to restructure the whole system to and lower the costs of what it would take to operate a team in a smaller center. The MTS Centre can hold about 14-15 thousand. If the Metro Centre was ever expanded to hold about 15-16 thousand than it could be used.
If the NHL wants to succeed in the future they will need to improve on their strongest markets. CANADIAN Cities. Hopefully someday we'll see Hamilton, Quebec City, Halifax and maybe even Saskatoon in the league.

Last edited by Jstaleness; Oct 21, 2011 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 12:11 PM

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 1:54 PM
Salty Town

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 11:32 PM

I suppose we might have a shot if we pony up 2.3 billion for a new arena

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 11:29 AM

Even though getting an NHL Team is a far off dream, a new indoor arena for Halifax should be in the planning. The Scotiabank Centre squeezes in close to 11,000 spectators but the concession areas and washroom facilities are certainly not suitable for that many people. Many also complain about the views from the upper bowl area and end up watching most of the event on the TV screens. The venue either needs a major (shut down for a year) overhaul or a new facility should be considered.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Zero33 View Post
Even though getting an NHL Team is a far off dream, a new indoor arena for Halifax should be in the planning. The Scotiabank Centre squeezes in close to 11,000 spectators but the concession areas and washroom facilities are certainly not suitable for that many people. Many also complain about the views from the upper bowl area and end up watching most of the event on the TV screens. The venue either needs a major (shut down for a year) overhaul or a new facility should be considered.
I was at the Mooseheads game on Wednesday and while I found the washroom line moved at a steady pace, even if it did feel crowded at certain points, the concourse was definitely packed and could use some more space, though I don't know how you would do that in that space. It will be interesting to see what upgrades will come with the Mooseheads new owner wanting to do some work on the arena.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHiseler View Post
It will be interesting to see what upgrades will come with the Mooseheads new owner wanting to do some work on the arena.
His comments struck me as someone without very much background on the situation talking off the top of his head. Since HRM is the owner they will be unlikely to put big bucks into most of the things he mentioned unless he is willing to donate them to the cause, and I seriously doubt he would be willing or able to cough up the mid-8 figure sum required.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
His comments struck me as someone without very much background on the situation talking off the top of his head. Since HRM is the owner they will be unlikely to put big bucks into most of the things he mentioned unless he is willing to donate them to the cause, and I seriously doubt he would be willing or able to cough up the mid-8 figure sum required.
The naming rights are up for renewal next year, that could provide some money for renovation.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHiseler View Post
The naming rights are up for renewal next year, that could provide some money for renovation.
Possibly, but it would be a pittance compared to what's needed.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I got exactly the same impression, Keith. Well-intentioned and enthusiastic but lacking much real knowledge of what's needed.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 1:54 PM

Last edited by q12; Oct 2, 2023 at 2:07 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment