HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 10:03 PM

That also happened at 19th and Dunlap. The light rail is not getting any safer statistically but I'd be willing to bet most of the crimes we hear about are not random.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 10:04 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
What happened? Did someone who stabbed her? What's going on?!?
I can't find anything on AZCentral, Google, or Twitter.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 10:12 PM

Can’t find open source news on the potential stabbing. Anyone on the Nextdoor App see anything?

took a Lyft last night instead of LTR, but Central/Roosevelt was the closest station I would’ve boarded at. Didn’t see or hear any commotion. Must’ve been after 11 pm?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 10:16 PM

Yes it was late. It was reported on the Citizen App which gets its information from police radio.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 10:36 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Yes it was late. It was reported on the Citizen App which gets its information from police radio.
Can't find anything either.

On a side note, I take many of the reports from the Citizen App with a grain of salt. Everything that gets dispatched to responding officers from the 911 dispatcher gets pushed in the app, not just verified police reports. I can't count how many "gun shots" that I receive app alerts on in my neighborhood are actually fireworks or car exhausts popping down the street (I swear, it's the same person that calls these in).

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 10:42 PM

Citizen app is like getting using NextDoor or Facebook for your news source. Not just a grain of salt, a whole bag of salt.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
That also happened at 19th and Dunlap. The light rail is not getting any safer statistically but I'd be willing to bet most of the crimes we hear about are not random.
Yes, you're right. It's not safe for me. I can't go to downtown Phoenix. Too dangerous! Too many criminals, too many homeless and else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I can't find anything on AZCentral, Google, or Twitter.
I don't see any news on Facebook. I'm sure the police is looking a suspect. They will find him and they will arrested him.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post

On a side note, I take many of the reports from the Citizen App with a grain of salt. Everything that gets dispatched to responding officers from the 911 dispatcher gets pushed in the app, not just verified police reports. I can't count how many "gun shots" that I receive app alerts on in my neighborhood are actually fireworks or car exhausts popping down the street (I swear, it's the same person that calls these in).
Good job. That is generally what happens for PD and Fire. Call gets dispatched based on a worst case scenario from the 911 call. Quite often
the true nature of each call, and how they’re handled is completely different from the initial dispatch. And because of this the information citizen apps garner from an initial dispatch are quite frequently wrong.

There's a lot of detail I won't go into, but I will say from my point of view it seems as though those apps would be a waste of time simply due to their frequent inaccuracies.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 11:24 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post

Quote:
Citizen app is like getting using NextDoor or Facebook for your news source. Not just a grain of salt, a whole bag of salt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post
Good job. That is generally what happens for PD and Fire. Call gets dispatched based on a worst case scenario from the 911 call. Quite often
the true nature of each call, and how they’re handled is completely different from the initial dispatch. And because of this the information citizen apps garner from an initial dispatch are quite frequently wrong.

There's a lot of detail I won't go into, but I will say from my point of view it seems as though those apps would be a waste of time simply due to their frequent inaccuracies.
I had never heard of the Citizen app before this thread, but apparently it was originally called "Vigilante." I think that alone says a lot about its credibility.

https://www.azmirror.com/2019/10/21/...es-in-phoenix/

That's not to say there isn't real crime on or near light rail, though. There was a murder over the weekend at a park-and-ride in Mesa. There aren't enough details to know if this involved a rail passenger or if a dispute that began somewhere else ended at a transit facility (typical in prior incidents like this). I'm always amazed, though, at victims who call friends or relatives rather than 911. Having paramedics begin treatment in the field usually produces a better outcome, and the hospital can be prepared for the arriving patient. Do they have something to hide or just not trust first responders as much as their own contacts?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ce/5578318002/

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I had never heard of the Citizen app before this thread, but apparently it was originally called "Vigilante." I think that alone says a lot about its credibility.

https://www.azmirror.com/2019/10/21/...es-in-phoenix/

That's not to say there isn't real crime on or near light rail, though. There was a murder over the weekend at a park-and-ride in Mesa. There aren't enough details to know if this involved a rail passenger or if a dispute that began somewhere else ended at a transit facility (typical in prior incidents like this). I'm always amazed, though, at victims who call friends or relatives rather than 911. Having paramedics begin treatment in the field usually produces a better outcome, and the hospital can be prepared for the arriving patient. Do they have something to hide or just not trust first responders as much as their own contacts?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ce/5578318002/
Thanks for the link on Citizen app. Their background is something I was unaware of.

That aside, the way calls play out, there's literally no way anyone with access to a dispatch channel alone could ever have anything resembling consistent, accurate information on incidents. Even PD and Fire personnel responding to calls based simply on the initial dispatch would be seriously restricted by a lack of information. 911 calls, and their subsequent dispatches, are entirely a reflection of what some citizen thinks they see; quite often from a distance(many people who call 911 are leary of approaching anyone or anything they're calling about).

I'm not against the lightrail, but it absolutely has brought crime along its path and has changed the make-up of many of those neighborhoods. It's increased the call volume measurably.

I can't speak directly to that particular incident in Mesa in the azcentral article, but it's often the case that someone will not call 911 because, as you said, they have something to hide.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 2:41 PM
self-important urbanista

Tempe has put together a pretty good video showing the timeline from the Union Pacific derailment to the detonation of the damaged bridge segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnqsqRy4MIA

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post

No...that's incorrect. It creates a time line for each crime due to police correspondence and is updated regularly to a certain point...well past the the initial 9-11 call.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 5:11 PM

Quote:
No...that's incorrect. It creates a time line for each crime due to police correspondence and is updated regularly to a certain point...well past the the initial 9-11 call.
I'm a longtime1st Responder I'm just trying to pass along that they can't possibly get the meat of the majority of calls. Very little is passed along through radio traffic unless it's a major incident(and even that has limitations for both PD and Fire).

That's not how these incidents develop. After dispatch, and while units are enroute MCTs are updated with more detail. And even then the majority of info is kept on the ground onscene.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Look who you are arguing with before you play know it all, please. I have a certain degree of respect for soled, he obviously has enough real-world experience to know what he's talking about. You put a hyphen in 911.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Look who you are arguing with before you play know it all, please. I have a certain degree of respect for soled, he obviously has enough real-world experience to know what he's talking about. You put a hyphen in 911.
I don't know who she is nor do I care, besides, don't you have a sewage spill to clean up at one of your units?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 8:38 PM

Quote:
I don't know who she is nor do I care, besides, don't you have a sewage spill to clean up at one of your units?
She? We have ourselves a real badass behind his computer here, lol

Guy, I was just trying to pass along information I thought some might be interested in using. I even put a little smiley emoji in case of the extremely rare chance someone also might be incredibly sensitive and react defensively.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 8:58 PM

Quote:
I'm confused, was I supposed to find that insulting?

soled, thanks for all you do.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Public input survey is open until 8/14 for Van Buren improvements from 7th St to 24th St.

https://www.phoenix.gov/streets/vanburen
Just a reminder that the public input survey for Van Buren improvements is open for another 10 days

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 9:55 PM

Quote:

I apologize Biggus, that went too far, I hadn't eaten lunch yet. You know you're my CRE idol.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 3:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks for saying that, man.

Even though I hear thanks often these days for my time as fireman and for my service in the Marine Corps, it's still very much appreciated each and every time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest