HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 27, 2006, 2:01 AM
SR United Balla

This is the plot that the Piazza San Lorenzo will be built upon.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2006, 7:04 AM
BANNED

These are newer renderings of the Park Center Towers to be built on the East end of Downtown near St. Paul Square.

The 4-story town homes that will be adjacent to both highrises:

My two cents:

With this project, the 12 story Staybridge and the Friedrich Building being developed into a mixed-use project as well as probably the most important construction of a train noise barrier wall being built along a 2-mile stretch on the inner eastside, the eastend/St. Paul Square area could be in for a real boom!

The EastEnd/St. Paul Sqaure has the potentail for some 600,000 sq. ft. of housing and 50,000 sq. ft. of retail.

Last edited by SayTownboy; Jan 27, 2006 at 10:39 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2006, 3:45 PM
Austinite

Latest Renderings of Vidora - Color

I was emailed the following rendering of the Vidora Towers... this time in color. I like!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2006, 5:20 PM
James

simply beautiful

Old Posted Jan 29, 2006, 7:33 PM
Meh

Wow, much better in color. Those are going to be very nice. Hopfully they'll light the top nicely so it will show up well on the skyline.

Damn, I'm jealous!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2006, 1:17 AM
BANNED

God, would it be awesome if some how, some way, this was the beginning of the East side giving SA another skyline. You start off with these buildings, the Staybride is built and then with the new noise barrier for the train, development just skyrocketed and if HollyHill's East Side Vision came to be, they would ultimately "met" and form "East Town" where you could Live, Work, and Play!

Think about it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2006, 3:38 AM
BANNED

Despite unknowns, Big Tex clears zoning commission

Real-estate developer James Lifshutz wants the City to green-light his 7-acre, $20 million development near the Blue Star Art Complex, but he refuses to prove to the public that the site isn’t contaminated with asbestos. The lack of evidence didn’t stop the City Zoning Commission last week from approving by an 8-2 vote a zoning change that could allow him to build 150 apartments and 50,000 square feet of commercial space.

The property was zoned industrial, meaning it could be used for an animal-processing plant or salvage yard. Now it is zoned multi-family and commercial, pending City Council approval on February 9.

From the 1960s to the 1980s, W.R. Grace Co. processed 104,000 tons of asbestos-contaminated vermiculite through its San Antonio plant, and the federal government indicted several company officers for covering up shipments of the material from a Montana mine. W.R. Grace went out of business in 1989.

Lifshutz says he hired a consulting firm to test the site and that he has a report stating the building in question isn’t contaminated. But he refused to show the study to the Current — or to anyone, he said, except to “trained professionals who know what they are reading.” Although the feds are investigating 28 of 200 facilities nationwide, Lifshutz says “that building is not one of them.”

Lifshutz says he has shown the study to City Environmental Services Manager David Newman, who verified that he has seen it. “The results don’t raise a red flag,” said Newman, adding that the data supports EPA results.

What results Newman is referring to is unclear. As reported in the Current last May [“Nixing Big Tex,” May 12-18, 2005], Environmental Protection Agency documents stated that the previous site owner, Richard Galloway of Big Tex, refused to allow EPA investigators on the property during a February 24, 2000, visit. “Mr Galloway indicated that silos may remain on site and some material may remain on site. He was very concerned with the liability his company may incur as they were considering selling the property.”

Galloway then sold the property to Lifshutz in 2001.

Newman assured the Zoning Commission that the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality has reviewed an environmental assessment performed by a previous owner. “This is an issue between the property owner and the state,” Newman said.

However, a TCEQ spokesperson said Lifshutz, as the current owner, has no contamination-abatement plan on file at the agency. Nor has Lifshutz filed a Phase I and Phase II environmental report, although, the spokesperson said, “We understand the owner has them.”

Zoning Commissioners Henry Avila and Eigenio Rodriguez voted against the zoning change, saying that those who are protesting the rezone are “concerned for the health and safety of themselves and their community.”

“Would you live there?” Avila asked Newman.

“I feel comfortable with the TCEQ commitment,” Newman replied. “I live in a 40-year-old home with asbestos [insulation] and I feel comfortable. There is no environmental issue on this property.”

However, after Lifshutz admonished the Commission to decide on the zoning issue, he said, “I will do what is needed no matter the cost to address environmental issues, period. No one is more concerned than I.

I have a very acute financial interest that I intend to protect.”

Neighborhood resident Santiago Escobedo told the commissioners the project, which would eventually be a 13-acre arts and entertainment complex, “was a great plan, but this is exposing workers to contamination. This is a slow-moving bullet and we have to live with this mess. Deny this and let him take it to the City Council.”

Yet not everyone opposed the project. The City Planning Office reported that of 32 re-zoning notices that were mailed to neighbors of the Big Tex property, it received just two in opposition and nine in favor. In addition, the City received no comment from neither the King William Neighborhood Association nor the Lone Star neighborhood.

Real-estate agent Julie Hooper, the sales agent for another Lifshutz project, the King William Townhomes, who also owns property nearby at the intersections of South Flores, Cevallos, and Nogalitos streets, lauded Lifshutz’ plan to redevelop the Big Tex site. “I can’t think of a better use of this property.”

Patrick Shearer, who also owns property in the Lone Star Neighborhood and who specializes in buildling metal structures characterized by Blue Star and Big Tex, said he was “thrilled development is coming to this side of the tracks. Its light density will add a lot to the neighborhood, and it would boost economic development.”

If City Council approves the zoning, Lifshutz says he could begin construction by the end of 2006, and Blue Star South could be ready for business 12 to 15 months later. “I’m one of the good guys. If I lived across the river, I would throw my arms around the developer and kiss him on both cheeks. If I lived across the river I would want to see it developed.”

http://www.sacurrent.com/site/news.c...d=484045&rfi=6

The Big Tex Grain Co. site is about to be developed into commercial/retail and residential living provided the City Council approves a rezoning request set to be heard February 9.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2006, 6:51 PM
Meh

Click the link below to read the rest of the article. This thing goes to 4 pages!

From the San Antonio Business Journal
http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...30/story1.html

S.A. River's makeover is in reach, backers say

Plan will restore riverfront south of downtown

W. Scott Bailey and Tricia Lynn Silva

In 1998, the San Antonio River Oversight committee was charged with the mission of investigating ways of restoring the Alamo City's most historic body of water to its natural state, enhancing its recreational and cultural appeal.

More than seven years later, there is a new wave of confidence that such a restoration is within reach, and that its impact on the South Side especially promises to be unprecedented.

Mission Reach is a $125 million river redevelopment program envisioned by that oversight committee. The plan calls for the significant reworking of a nine-mile stretch of the famed San Antonio River from downtown south to Loop 410.

The San Antonio River Authority (SARA) is serving as project manager for Mission Reach. Engineering firm Carter & Burgess was tapped to develop preliminary designs for the restoration project.

The plan calls for converting what now resembles a drainage canal into a more natural and aesthetically inviting asset, with sloping, landscaped banks connecting inner city neighborhoods and a trail of historic missions to the San Antonio River.

Much of the project, say Carter & Burgess officials, involves finding ways to "undo humans' tinkering with Mother Nature."

One of the project's lead promoters is Kevin Conner, point person for Carter & Burgess.

"The tenor (for the project)," Conner says, "has been changed from, 'Gee, I wish something could happen' to 'Something is going to happen.' "
Ditching the past

A pair of floods dating back to the 1920s and 1940s inflicted millions of dollars worth of damage upon certain parts of the city, forcing a massive relocation of homes and businesses. That led to a series of flood prevention projects aimed at preventing similar disasters.

That work included the construction of dams, concrete structures and other flood control features. It also included the re-routing of parts of the San Antonio River, say Carter & Burgess officials, leading to the significant loss of surrounding trees and vegetation.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2006, 9:19 AM
BANNED

Alamo Heights Council waits for public input

By Ginny Adams
Editor

Alamo Heights council put off action Monday on two major proposals in order to get more public input after recent complaints about information not reaching residents.

The proposal for construction of an eight-story retirement building on the campus of the University of the Incarnate Word drew a standing-room-only crowd, while a proposed ordinance establishing a Photographic Traffic Enforcement System of red-light cameras drew several members of the media.

Both issues were tabled so that informational meetings with residents could be held to discuss the proposals in detail.

The first major discussion was centered on the proposed eight-story structure which would house 70 one- and two- bedroom units. The proposed building exceeds the city's three-story or 35-foot height restriction.

"I certainly don't want to vote on this tonight," said Mayor Pro Tem Gloria H. Kehl. "We have to have some community meetings to discuss this issue."

Sister Dorothy Ettling, chairperson of the Incarnate Word Retirement Center, was accompanied by several current residents at the retirement center.

"Alamo Heights is almost 100 years old," said Sister Ettling. "The (University of the) Incarnate Word is 120 years old and delighted to be part of Alamo Heights."

She stressed that there is a need for the facility. "There is a tremendous demand for services," she said. "It will also enhance our ministry as well as Alamo Heights."

One resident of the present retirement facility said he and his wife had to wait 16 months before a vacancy occurred. When the proposal was originally presented to council last year, there were concerns about fire service protection. "When it comes to fire protection, there was one issue we looked at the building for," said Acting Fire Chief Darren Smith. "We contacted ISO (Insurance Service Organization which sets homeowner insurance rates) and they said it won't change the city's rating."

Smith said the second issue was water pressure to supply drinking water and sprinkler service. Marmon-Mok, planners for the project, have gotten approval for the building's water services from the San Antonio Water System. The city will put a meter on the water main from SAWS and regulate it without it ever joining the Alamo Heights lines. "There will be no contamination of either line," said Smith.

"From a firefighing standpoint, everything is right with this building." Margaret Houston, a community activist who said she has attended all council, committee and public meetings in the community for several months, protested the project for a number of reasons. "I have great respect for our neighbors, Incarnate Word," said Houston. "But I think residents need to more informed on this project." She also protested the height of the building, saying that the project could be built with only four stories, and noted the already existing problem with traffic at the intersection of Broadway and Hildebrand.

"During the first attempt I was told by Mayor Louis Cooper that this was not the time to speak," said Houston. "Then at the Architectural Review Board (ARB) meeting on the eight-story building …I was told to speak after community business…Then I was told by the mayor that no one protested at council or at the ARB meeting." After lengthly discussion, council agreed that there should be more public input and voted to table action until a public meeting to discuss the proposal was set up by city administrators.

As the room almost emptied, the second focused item concerning a system of video taping key intersections along Broadway and North New Braunfels came up for discussion. "I first thought it was 'Big Brother'," said Cooper. "But I've done research and every time I go through a yellow light, my feelings … have changed. I think this system will slow people down."

The proposal by American Traffic Solutions would videotape vehicles running red lights. After a review by local law enforcement, the company will issue civil citations for the violation and a fine will be levied after a warning period. The driver will not receive points on their license. In the case of an accident, law enforcement officials would handle the case. "We need to have an open forum to let the public know about this," said Place 1 Councilman Stan McCormick. "Posting signs that Red Light Enforcment Cameras are at city limits."

The company will install the $100,000 equipment at no cost to the city and it is estimated the city would be collecting revenue after paying service fees to the company which handles all citations and billing. Council agreed to hold a public meeting on the proposal Feb. 13, prior to the next council meeting.

http://www.primetimenewspapers.com/n...heights.html#1

Old Posted Feb 1, 2006, 9:20 AM
BANNED

The Rim due to open November 2006

By Tony Cantú
Contributing Writer

The New Year ushers in considerable progress at the Rim at La Cantera, a mixed-use development being built off IH-10 along La Cantera Pkwy. Three years in the making, the mixed-use development at the former rock quarry will incorporate retail, office and residential uses in its makeup. The plans were first unveiled in the spring of 2002 by San Antonio-based Worth Enterprises, which envisioned retail tenants in an enclosed mall setting as well as merchants and residential units along a plaza-like setting.

Atlanta-based Thomas Enterprises Inc. later bought the 300 acres earmarked for the development, changing the name from North Rim Village to the Rim at La Cantera. Aside from its name and ownership, other changes are pending. Stan Thomas, president/CEO of Thomas Enterprises, said the acreage on the city's Northwest side devoted to the development may grow by up to 700 acres.

The project's preliminary success – several retailers have signed on as future tenants with a Best Buy and Bass Pro Shops leading the charge – has even prompted Thomas to develop further in other parts of San Antonio. "It looks like 850 acres to 1,000 acres," Thomas said of the revamped size of the project. "We're also looking at other places in Texas and San Antonio, but nothing we can announce yet."

Thomas said the Best Buy outlet at the Rim is nearing completion, with construction expected to conclude by February. Meanwhile, the center's anchor tenant, a Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World superstore, is slated to break ground in January, with a grand opening expected by November, he added.

While the Best Buy concept is familiar to many residents, the Bass Pro Shops represents a novelty to San Antonio. The store is the Bass Pro Shops' entry into the city and – at 200,000 square feet – will be the chain's largest store to date in Texas. In a prepared statement when the retailer announced its entry into San Antonio, Gov. Rick Perry said the new store – to be located across from Fiesta Texas – would help strengthen the city's tourism industry. In addition to selling gear for aficionados of the outdoors, the retailer will also feature a 12,000-square-foot restaurant with an outdoors theme, according to a press release.

"The new Bass Pro location, their fourth and largest store in Texas, will boost San Antonio's tourism industry and the entire economy," Perry said. "Combined with the River Walk, the Alamo and other area attractions, this new Bass Pro shop will help seal San Antonio's reputation as a leading tourist destination, not just in the state, but the entire nation." Bass Pro Shops is expected to hire 300 workers. Headquartered in Springfield, Mo., the chain has 25 retail locations in 17 states and recently opened a store in Toronto, Canada.

The mixed-use development in Northwest San Antonio represents a national trend in retailing. The architectural premise calls for a "new urbanism," featuring a concept – intermittently referred to as a "lifestyle community" or by the real estate industry jargon "hybrid power-center" – that places a premium on open spaces allowing for a more relaxed and inviting shopping experience. This differs from the traditional concept of stores situated in succession, surrounded by the traditional peripheral elements of coffee shops or the occasional dining establishment.

The Rim's departure from that concept calls for architectural plans involving not just retailers as the main enticement for shoppers, but the ambience of a plaza-like setting at its center. This area is lined with stores, apartments and offices to create a less-harried and, consequently, more inviting shopping atmosphere. Thomas said the dynamics of San Antonio would help foster that aura. "We think San Antonio is a super city; we like its texture," he said. "It's unique in its character and because of that, we think retail will do really well there."

This month, a significant number of retail tenants will begin construction, and will coordinate their openings to coincide with that of their Bass Pro Shops anchor. "We expect a huge number of tenants to open in November 2006 and by November '07, it (The Rim) will be totally finished," Thomas said. The developer's pride in the fledgling center was palpable: "We're extremely proud of it. It's something we'll own forever."

http://www.primetimenewspapers.com/sptimes/news.html#3

Old Posted Feb 1, 2006, 7:56 PM
James

^^^ So I guess this would be an oxy-moron, for it is sprawled urbanism...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2006, 10:07 PM
The Space Pope

^^^
And you can only get there by taking the freeway. Awesome!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2006, 12:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinggryphon
^^^
And you can only get there by taking the freeway. Awesome!
I can only get to downtown via the freeway.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2006, 11:56 PM
SR United Balla

Heres some pictures i took today.
La Cascada's little brother.

This Projects looks to be close to done.

Vidorra has set up a trail at the site across the highway. They are also building a mockup of one of the rooms that buyers can expect to buy. A person on site said that there have been many sold already, with alot of interested buyers still expected. He also said that construction will begin sometime towards the end of 2006.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2006, 6:38 AM
BANNED

The Courtyard at Brackenridge Park is coming along very nicely.

Hopefully Brackenridge Park/Broadway Developments, Ltd. has much more up their sleeves for Broadway.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2006, 7:10 AM
James

I am really excited about all the things on broadway, height of the projects isn't really an issue, just a plus. But I can't wait until the river is fully extended up to Brackenridge park, its going to look fantastic with all the development that will follow.

^^^ I really wish they would bury I-37 right here, it cuts off so much connection between everything.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2006, 3:59 PM
BANNED

So far a proposed 25 or 30-story condo at Hildebrand and Broadway with an proposed 8-story building on the UIW campus across the street.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2006, 4:18 PM
BANNED

Also, I think with our current Mayor ever so forcused to make downtown a better place, a more urban and live-friendly place, good things are in store for San Antonio for the next couple of years.

Hopefully Hardberger decides to run again and not enter retirement permanantly.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2006, 6:13 PM
SA 24th largest city

The proposed high rise condos located at Broadway and Hildebrand will hopefully integrate the surrounding area through the design of the structure to be located as close as possibly allowed to the street. In other major cities such as New York and Vancouver, the residents (of high rises) are assimilated to street activity by allowing for pedestrian access and mingling. That said, It should be part of the design to locate retail shops or restaurant cafe's to situate themselves it the ground level of the building. According to the statements posted by architects for the building on their website: http://www.zieglercooper.com/urban_village.htm , they seem to incorporate the motif or the idea of an "Urban Village" for great cities and furthermore go on to say "...it becomes imperative that we make each development a contributing piece of our urban fabric."-referring to density and inner-city development. This statement hopefully will apply to the Koontz/ Mccombs tower. In addition, I understand that Mr. Koontz himself personally visited residents on the nearest residential streets to hear from them what they had to say. The design of the property dividers (walls surrounding the site) will be another topic soon to be discussed.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2006, 4:40 AM

grocery store downtown?

Does anyone know of a plan to build a grocery store downtown or something simialr to the whole foods around downtown Austin. I know with Vidorra I and II going up soon that there will be more need for one. Also, are there more projects with condos/lofts to be built with retail areas underneath in San Antonio?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations