HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 6:43 PM
Fizzix geek

I was unable to make this meeting, but as a home-owner in this exact neighbourhood I wish I had been around to attend... in part because then I could draw my own objective conclusions on what happened and was said a the meeting.

My general take on this proposal itself is that I would support it, given its location along Coburg. I think that this is an appropriate location for this sort of low/mid-rise development, however I would not support it if it were instead along one of the side street blocks (e.g. Henry etc), the reason being that they are uniformly low-rise homes.

My reason for supporting it is this... the reality of students and other young people needing a place to live is not going to go away, in particular since young people today very much want to live within walking distance and not commute. If we do not provide effective housing outlets, through mid-rise development along transit corridors, then this will continue to put pressure on the existing housing stock. The lack of available housing options creates a market in which it remains advantageous to buy a home, put it up for rent and stuff 12 students in it. To me, we need mid-rise density along SGR/Coburg, Quinpool, etc, to provide reasonable density housing options and take the pressure off of creating rental ghettos that push single families out of the neighbourhood.

Just my 2 cents.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth