HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 5:44 PM

the spire would have looked fine is it wasn't for those ugly ass rings and if it was painted white. Like Trump Chicago's spire just taller.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 6:03 PM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Spires can't be removed.
Antenna's can.
Since they don't plan to remove it, it's a spire. it may not look like one, but it is.
It's hideous.
A spire is an integral part of the architectural design of the building, an antenna is not. See: Sears Tower, John Hancock, One Shell Plaza

However, there is of course the politicking to make an antenna count as part of the official height. See: Bank of America (total bullshit, but for some reason it counts).

Simply because the broadcast antenna on top of the new WTC isn't intended to be removed, does NOT make it a spire. It's just an antenna, and thus doesn't count. Otherwise you have to start counting all of those others as well. After all, if the broadcast technology changes, the antenna might be shortened or lengthened depending on need. That's not an architectural change, it's a functional and thus non-integral design change.

NOT a spire.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 5:06 AM

I'm thinking it's probably going to be more silver in color. I think it looks more rustic in that image because it's set at sunset. It will be interesting to see what it will look like at night lit up with the LED lights.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
A spire is an integral part of the architectural design of the building, an antenna is not. See: Sears Tower, John Hancock, One Shell Plaza

However, there is of course the politicking to make an antenna count as part of the official height. See: Bank of America (total bullshit, but for some reason it counts).

Simply because the broadcast antenna on top of the new WTC isn't intended to be removed, does NOT make it a spire. It's just an antenna, and thus doesn't count. Otherwise you have to start counting all of those others as well. After all, if the broadcast technology changes, the antenna might be shortened or lengthened depending on need. That's not an architectural change, it's a functional and thus non-integral design change.

NOT a spire.
Technically it is still a spire. It was designed as a spire. Just because they are removing the radome does not change that. They weren't even going to put broadcast equipment on it until last year. The building was designed with this in mind. Most antennas are usually added onto buildings later. The antenna on top of the original WTC wasn't added until 1978. They were engineered and designed to have these antennas installed but they were not part of the architecture. When it is finished it still wont have any equipment on it. There is no rule anywhere that says you cant add equipment to your buildings spire at a later date and have that change it to an antenna.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 5:28 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Spires can't be removed.
Antenna's can.
Since they don't plan to remove it, it's a spire. it may not look like one, but it is.
It's hideous.
If it broadcasts or receives, it's an antenna; if it is only there for looks and does nothing else, it's a spire. WTC1 will have an antenna, which is not counted toward the building's height.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 5:38 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesfaninUT View Post
Technically it is still a spire. It was designed as a spire. Just because they are removing the radome does not change that. They weren't even going to put broadcast equipment on it until last year. The building was designed with this in mind. Most antennas are usually added onto buildings later. The antenna on top of the original WTC wasn't added until 1978. They were engineered and designed to have these antennas installed but they were not part of the architecture. When it is finished it still wont have any equipment on it. There is no rule anywhere that says you cant add equipment to your buildings spire at a later date and have that change it to an antenna.
It really is muddled and confusing! The John Hancock Center and the Sears Tower both had antennas designed with the structures, and both of them have large, tall bases that were initially built as part of the building. The antennas were then added to the base structures, but none of it seems to count as building height. If the antennas were removed, the tall holders would still be there. Trump Tower in Chicago had the spire added after the building was designed and under construction and it seems to rest on the roof much like the old WTC antenna did, yet it is counted in the building height since it's just there for looks. IMO, none of them should count or all of them should. Another great example is the massive antenna on the Prudential Building in Chicago. It was clearly designed with and built into the building, but today it is not used since there are many taller buildings around it. Why isn't that counted as a spire now? This is all really stupid and needs to be clarified once and for all.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
It really is muddled and confusing! The John Hancock Center and the Sears Tower both had antennas designed with the structures, and both of them have large, tall bases that were initially built as part of the building. The antennas were then added to the base structures, but none of it seems to count as building height. If the antennas were removed, the tall holders would still be there. Trump Tower in Chicago had the spire added after the building was designed and under construction and it seems to rest on the roof much like the old WTC antenna did, yet it is counted in the building height since it's just there for looks. IMO, none of them should count or all of them should. Another great example is the massive antenna on the Prudential Building in Chicago. It was clearly designed with and built into the building, but today it is not used since there are many taller buildings around it. Why isn't that counted as a spire now? This is all really stupid and needs to be clarified once and for all.
Yeah it does get kinda confusing. If you go to the CTBUH website and read about the three types of criteria they judge on they all should count. But for some reason they favor one of the three over the other two. I was hoping that they would give us more of an up close view in more types of light. Most of the renderings are good but dont give an up close view.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 5:58 AM
Never Dell

It would be fine for a competing organization to come up with a different set of criteria. CTBUH doesn't have a monopoly on this stuff. Of course they'll probably be believed more in the short term, particularly if the new org's goal seems to be to make the US look good vs. being objective.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 3:10 PM

Quote:
You don't even know what you're talking about. They certainly were planning on using it for broadcasting equipment the entire time. The current "spire" is just the antenna without the enclosure and they plopped the beacon and lightning rod on top of it.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 6:35 PM
DENNAB

David Childs clearly was quoted saying he was ready to work on an alternative design with the PA.

So is that not happening or are people just really overlooking that? I find it impossible to believe he wouldn't try.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
David Childs clearly was quoted saying he was ready to work on an alternative design with the PA.

So is that not happening or are people just really overlooking that? I find it impossible to believe he wouldn't try.
Durst said he gave the architects a chance, but they never made another spire design.

Durst has also said that this is a done deal. It will be hilarious if the CTBUH count the antennae, everyone in the 1 WTC thread will be rejoicing, even though everyone else will realize that it clearly is not a 541m building. Calling it taller then the Sears tower and Shanghai WFC is ridiculous. Some people over at SSC are working on an alternative to the CTBUH measurement also.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 7:40 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
Durst said he gave the architects a chance, but they never made another spire design.

Durst has also said that this is a done deal. It will be hilarious if the CTBUH count the antennae, everyone in the 1 WTC thread will be rejoicing, even though everyone else will realize that it clearly is not a 541m building. Calling it taller then the Sears tower and Shanghai WFC is ridiculous. Some people over at SSC are working on an alternative to the CTBUH measurement also.
I think they didn't come up with an alternate design because they assumed that the radome would be kept. Childs said himself, or was at least quoted saying so last month that he would stand ready to work with the PA on a new one in midst of major disspointment. I agree though that it was beyond stupid of them not to come up with an alternative design though when they had the chance, if they are working on one right now, then they will have enough time.

I also agree that it is silly to call it taller than Sears or the SWFC. I don't really care what the CTBUH says either, it is and always has been a ~1400 foot tower with a 400 foot pole, although the previous spire worked so well with the design.

And it's not like buildings haven't cheated in height before either.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
You don't even know what you're talking about. They certainly were planning on using it for broadcasting equipment the entire time. The current "spire" is just the antenna without the enclosure and they plopped the beacon and lightning rod on top of it.
I apologize. I was misspoken. Yes they were planning on offering it to customers for broadcasting. I meant to say that they only finalized the deal earlier in the year. If it gets counted great, if not then we move on. It wont be the end of the world. I'm sure whatever is put up it will be attractive and will compliment the building.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 8:22 PM

Quote:
I think they didn't come up with an alternate design because they assumed that the radome would be kept. Childs said himself, or was at least quoted saying so last month that he would stand ready to work with the PA on a new one in midst of major disspointment. I agree though that it was beyond stupid of them not to come up with an alternative design though when they had the chance, if they are working on one right now, then they will have enough time.

I also agree that it is silly to call it taller than Sears or the SWFC. I don't really care what the CTBUH says either, it is and always has been a ~1400 foot tower with a 400 foot pole, although the previous spire worked so well with the design.

And it's not like buildings haven't cheated in height before either.
Yeah, this is just a high profile building. Even if the CTBUH says it doesn't count, you know that their site will say tallest building in America, and they will say 1776 feet. Then on the other hand the Sears will continue to say tallest building in America. Should be interesting. Either way, anyone that possesses some level of intelligence and isn't biased can tell which buildings are clearly taller.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 9:40 PM

Quote:
I apologize. I was misspoken. Yes they were planning on offering it to customers for broadcasting. I meant to say that they only finalized the deal earlier in the year. If it gets counted great, if not then we move on. It wont be the end of the world. I'm sure whatever is put up it will be attractive and will compliment the building.
Fair enough, I figured that is what you meant. My callout was a bit harsh.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 12:13 AM
An Optimistic Realist

I have realized that this is one of the most retarded arguments in the world of skyscrapers. I honestly don't even give a crap anymore. Spire,antenna, flagpole. They're all crap people put on buildings. I don't see how the difference matters. Spires can be removed as well, just like the rest of a building. The Chrysler's spire isn't permanently connected to the tower. It was originally an addition to the building. These rules can be broken very easily and everyone is getting so uptight about it. Again, if Childs is thinking of redesigning the spire, then he has to add floors to the spire in order for 1 WTC to become taller than the Sears. In essence, I really don't think it matters if 1 WTC is the tallest or not. The original WTC or Twin Towers were succeeded by the same tower just a year after they were built so 1 WTC is basically a replacement for them along with the rest of the complex. If the new antenna or spire can muster up to be a more suitable version of the radome clad we lost, I'll be happy. The WTC was already the tallest building around at one point so it isn't much of a lost if we don't even see it become New York's tallest again. We're getting new supertalls in Manhattan and other highrise projects around the city. Other U.S. cities are also growing up their skylines and are developing their centers. Regardless, NYC might have the tallest rooftop in the country with 225 W 57th St or Madison Ave & 42nd St , so if you're unhappy with the World Trade, Midtown and other projects in Lower Manhattan can be your focus. I just want the skyline to get taller and longer.

Last edited by jd3189; Jun 5, 2012 at 12:35 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 2:40 AM

Location: Born and raised Clevelander, former Atlantan and Dallasite, and now 'probational' New Yorker, ha
Folks the beauty of this building's top was lost wayyyyy before the spire issue, when whomever (rolleyes), decided/allowed the placement of a circular broadcasting ring atop a rectangular building and roof (gag). That's the biggest travesty of this project.

Anyone who went to a decent design or architecture school would have recognized that as major mistake creating too much visual conflict and failure to provide a cohesive form. At least they should have place the broadcasting structure as a square base with a trapezoid profile or an asymmetrical placement of the spire such as on the BOA building.

www.UrbanImpressionist.com ______ Twitter: @UrbanImpress ______ UrbanImpressionist on Facebook______ UrbanImpressionist on Youtube

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpressionist View Post
Folks the beauty of this building's top was lost wayyyyy before the spire issue, when whomever (rolleyes), decided/allowed the placement of a circular broadcasting ring atop a rectangular building and roof (gag). That's the biggest travesty of this project.

Anyone who went to a decent design or architecture school would have recognized that as major mistake creating too much visual conflict and failure to provide a cohesive form. At least they should have place the broadcasting structure as a square base with a trapezoid profile or an asymmetrical placement of the spire such as on the BOA building.
Couldn't agree more, this was probably the best version

[MODERATOR EDIT - IMAGE REMOVED]

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Jun 8, 2012 at 4:27 PM. Reason: Uncredited image

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 3:24 AM
DENNAB

Well, call me crazy but I actually like the circular ring.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 3:36 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Well, call me crazy but I actually like the circular ring.
OK, you're crazy. [Just kidding...to each his own] I love the rendering above and had not seen it before.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture