HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 7:14 PM
TL;DR

They rolled out a Walgreens in New Orleans where they reclad the building to address a prominent intersection instead of a parking lot, but only after the mayor himself complained.

On the other hand, they've also hired a local architect to design a Walgreens to fit a historic district here... Remarkably it sits in a dense commercial strip and all parking will be hidden in back. The design of other recent Walgreens in the city has also markedly improved. Seems like at least within urban markets, they're getting a bit more sensitive.

Also, the new suburban prototype in a Modernist style (rolled out in Oak Park and Skokie among others) is awesome.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 7:18 PM
TL;DR

Also, the Armitage Walgreens will be another flagship-type store, but they will replace rather than renovate the existing building. The new one will have no parking and it will have the same basement/ground floor/second floor arrangement as the Wicker Park location. The Clark/Broadway location will also be a flagship.

It seems like these are not simply one-offs, but rather a small group of elite urban locations where Walgreens wants to make the investment.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 9:38 PM

^^
Seems promising... Now if only we could get them to move their corporate HQ into the city.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 11:18 PM

Walgreens

This is all thanks to syngergies with Duane Reade. A number of former banks and other old buildings in NYC have been turned into Duane Reade locations, with their 40 Wall Street location being their current flagship: http://dr40wallstreet.com/.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 11:47 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Duane Reade flagships role out after Walgreens' acquisition? According to Wikipedia, Duane Reade was bought outright in full on On April 9, 2010 for $623 million (which doesn't seem like all that much, the 2006 revenue was 1.58 billion). The Duane Reade flagship which was linked opened over a year later, July 6 2011. This might have been in the pipeline before the acquisition, but it was implemented under Walgreen's.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:13 AM

Mariano's on Lawrence

The site of the Mariano's on Lawrence has been fenced off and a public notice sign regarding the construction is now on the site. The site was still being used as parking lot for Sears as of a few days ago so hopefully this means that action is imminent.

As for the Walgreens, it looks great and I can't wait to check it out in person but I think weirdaaron pretty much nailed it here. One of these does not make up for 10 typical autocentric walgreens dropped into a pedestrian environment let alone the 100 or even thousands of Chicago street corners they have ruined. Having said that, I applaud this project and encourage them to take on more pedestrian friendly projects as well as more adaptive reuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
It's similar to when McDonald's takes the time to make a beautiful, location-acknowledging store every once in a while at a high-profile location. It's nice, but it doesn't wash away the thousands of other stores that were seemingly made from plastic in a Chinese factory and dropped into their location via helicopter.

Now two Walgreens locations are spacious and beautiful and tailor-made to their Chicago locations, but the rest of their stores across the country remain dirty, cramped, poorly-managed, depressing, emotional sinkholes indistinguishable from a CVS or Rite-Aid from the inside. Having a few lovely flagship stores doesn't make me want to drive past the CVS to the identical Walgreens a block further if I'm out in the suburbs or anywhere else in America and I need a bottle of rubbing alcohol or a bag of mini KitKats.

I doubt as a company they're moving to an Apple-esq "all of our stores will be works of art from now on" mindset, because there's just too many of them to give them the care and attention that the Cicago flagships get. It just seems a little masturbatory. "FYI, if we give a crap we can make a pretty nice store. We just usually don't give a crap."

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:54 AM

I only hope they will continue to take corrective measures improving their stores in the city. As for the suburbs, the throw-away architecture is a product of their surroundings that was unfortunately standard prototypical format, not responsibly investigated for urban areas.

I could really care less what they do in sprawlville at the moment but here in the city they are surrounded by great architectural heritage and should deliver on architectural quality of their stores. You could argue that may come at great expense, but I believe that's just part of the business providing outstanding customer experience and good impressions.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
The site of the Mariano's on Lawrence has been fenced off and a public notice sign regarding the construction is now on the site. The site was still being used as parking lot for Sears as of a few days ago so hopefully this means that action is imminent.

Are you referring to the Mariano's at Lawrence and Ravenswood?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 5:20 PM

North Grant Park [De]construction

Demolition has begun for the North Grant Park project (estimated completion December 2014). Here are a few snaps of what's going on now.

"Before" - 10/12/2012
(For a reminder of what it looked like)

10/29/2012
Playground fenced off and disassembled, trees in eastern walking path cut down.

11/05/2012
All trees gone.

11/26/2012
Major ground demolition

Today - 11/28/2012
Looks like a baren wasteland from the ground

As a reminder, the Gehry/BP Bridge will be staying put, and the Cancer Survivor's Garden will be untouched.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 5:34 PM

^As well as the mini-golf/restaurant area to the south. . . what's amazing to me is that they said they'd be removing 877 trees. . . I can't believe there were that many to begin with. . .

. . .

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 5:42 PM

I liked the tree-lined walkway. It was a relaxing way to walk home from work. I'll miss it, but the new park should be pretty cool. Too bad I probably wont even have this job anymore in 2015. 1.5 years is the longest I've stayed at the same place in this town.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 7:39 PM
dream fast

Thanks for those pics, wierdaaron. That is a major upheavel. Too bad there will be no ice skating there this winter.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
How's Sears on Lawrence going to work without parking, anyway? I haven't heard that addressed at all. Not that anyone goes to that store. Do you think it's on the way out?

I'd love to see that building restored, I was amazed to learn recently that the ornament was still intact not all that long ago - http://digital.chipublib.org/cdm4/it...B=1&DMROTATE=0

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 10:36 PM
BANNED

AMLI River North, K2 at K Station and a panorama

AMLI River North by YoChicago1, on Flickr

K2 at K Station by YoChicago1, on Flickr

AMLI River North and K2 at K Station by YoChicago1, on Flickr

The view from Mondial apartments by YoChicago1, on Flickr

Shots taken earlier today from the roof of Mondial, 910 W Huron. Click through to Flickr for larger versions.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
^As well as the mini-golf/restaurant area to the south. . .
What's the story with that? Is the land privately owned? Seems like the restaurant has been vacant for a while, but if that land were owned privately it would be a waste to have it sit unused, and if the city owns it why not include it in the park remodel project?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 5:42 AM

Roosevelt Collection Tenants (Finally) Announced

Per Crain's

Today's Announcement

--H&M; 25,00 square feet
--Republic of Couture; 15,000 square feet,
--BlackFinn American Grill;10,000 square feet
--Z Gallerie; 9,000-square feet
--Chico Loco, a Mexican restaurant; 8,500 square feet
--White House | Black Market; 3,000 square feet
--Francesca's Collection; 2,000-square feet.
--Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance Inc.; 9,780 square feet
--Fleet Feet Sports; 3,500 square feet

This puts the whole development's retail at 56% leased with 340,000 square feet of retail.

Quote:
Mr. McCaffery added that he is not currently in talks with Apple, saying discussions that the technology company would open a retail location in Roosevelt Collection had always been speculative.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 6:27 AM

http://careanddiscovery.uchospitals.edu/events.html

THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO MEDICINE
CENTER FOR CARE AND DISCOVERY
Chicago-area Community Open House

EVENT DATE & TIME
December 8, 2012 9:00AM - 5:00PM

EVENT SUMMARY
The University of Chicago Medicine invites the Chicago-area community to celebrate the opening of its new hospital, the Center for Care and Discovery. Opening in early 2013, the Center for Care and Discovery is a state-of-the-art hospital providing complex specialty patient care with a focus on cancer, gastrointestinal disease, neurosciences and advanced surgery. Guest will enjoy free tours, wellness screenings and community resource information.
Guests must register online or by phone (1-855-655-2627) for a timed-tour offered in 15-minute increments.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 6:31 AM
pragmatist

Re: Grant Park mini-golf's site is on a lease or concession from the Park District. No way could there be private land there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Now two Walgreens locations are spacious and beautiful and tailor-made to their Chicago locations, but the rest of their stores across the country remain dirty, cramped, poorly-managed, depressing, emotional sinkholes
A Bloomberg Businessweek article from last fall, spurred by the Wall Street store, indicates that Walgreens' CEO had a revelation:

Quote:
“The moment I decided we should get serious about buying Duane Reade was after seeing their new Herald Square store. After that, I went with three of my executives to a competitor’s location, and it was a traditional urban drugstore—frankly, like we run—with narrow aisles and merchandise stacked high. I said, ‘Duane Reade is creating something new.’ That’s what we were looking to do.”

Walgreens had opened a new store every 16 hours in 2008 and boasts that 75 percent of Americans live within five miles of one of its stores. “By the fall of that year, we had to slow down, step back, and shift our strategy,” says Wasson. “We’re still opening 200 stores a year, more than all our competitors combined. But we’re moving from ‘location, location, location’ to ‘experience, experience, experience.’”
The article confirms my suspicion that someone borrowed the Look Boutique from Shoppers Drug Mart; the executive heading Duane Reade was purloined from Loblaws north of the border. I was kind of hoping for a growler bar in Wicker Park, but oh well.

Besides Broadway/Clark, Walgreens flagships are planned for downtown Boston (on CVS's New England home turf) and Washington, D.C.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 6:38 AM

Plus, something you don't necessarily see every day -- 20% of an institutional building's floors left empty, and they chose the lowest floors possible. It's nice to see this much foresight and, also, self-restraint (avoiding institutional political infighting about what other departments might get to occupy the space, etc.).

http://careanddiscovery.uchospitals.edu/tour.html

TOUR THE CENTER FOR CARE AND DISCOVERY

Floor-by-Floor Plan

1st Floor
- Lobbies ...

2nd Floor
- Pharmacy ...

3rd & 4th Floors
- Reserved for future expansion

5th Floor
- Integrated diagnostic and interventional platform ...

6th Floor
- Space for 28 operating rooms ...

7th Floor: Sky Lobby
- General reception and information ...

8th through 10th Floors
- Patient care units ...

Penthouse
- Two-level mechanical penthouse

Roof
- "Green" roof
- Heliport

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Plus, something you don't necessarily see every day -- 20% of an institutional building's floors left empty, and they chose the lowest floors possible. It's nice to see this much foresight and, also, self-restraint (avoiding institutional political infighting about what other departments might get to occupy the space, etc.).

http://careanddiscovery.uchospitals.edu/tour.html

TOUR THE CENTER FOR CARE AND DISCOVERY

Floor-by-Floor Plan

1st Floor
- Lobbies ...

2nd Floor
- Pharmacy ...

3rd & 4th Floors
- Reserved for future expansion

5th Floor
- Integrated diagnostic and interventional platform ...

6th Floor
- Space for 28 operating rooms ...

7th Floor: Sky Lobby
- General reception and information ...

8th through 10th Floors
- Patient care units ...

Penthouse
- Two-level mechanical penthouse

Roof
- "Green" roof
- Heliport
It's actually very common. Nearly all of the medical facilities I've worked on in the past 6 years had a certain number of floors or additions core and shell only.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development