HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Ugh I can't wait for my photobucket account to get over the stupid exceeded bandwidth.
What's wrong with something like Imgur.com? No bandwidth restrictions there.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 1:05 AM

where is the west loop target going up?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 1:07 AM

^ basically Racine and Jackson.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 1:54 AM
TL;DR

You should be able to get direct URLs from Imageshack so you don't have to post links. The URL is in a bar on the right side of the website. I don't post as many images as you, thought, so maybe you've run into a bandwidth restriction I haven't seen yet.

At any rate, that Target looks awfully blank and anti-urban. I know it's the back, but if Target wants to be in the West Loop so badly, they should consider all four sides of their building.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 2:14 AM

Thanks, I'll try to find that.

I pass by this everyday coming home from work and I can't really tell how this thing is being laid out yet. It looks like there will be some sort of an entrance on the southeast corner, but I imagine there should be one on the northeast as well? Does anyone have any renderings on this?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 3:19 AM

This is the most recent rendering I could find from August of last year. I imagine this is the corner of Jackson and Aberdeen.

By dsjm2002 at 2012-02-21
From Westloop.org/news

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 4:04 AM
TL;DR

The entrance is at the northeast corner, facing into the neighborhood. The southwest corner is a loading dock. I'm especially disappointed in the curb cut along Jackson, dumping tons of cars out into a protected bike lane. The least they could do would be to put the curb cut next to the existing alley to give plenty of room for bike and auto traffic to merge before the Aberdeen intersection.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 2:29 PM

A couple updates along Rush Street

I pass through the gangway every morning behind the new Starbucks site and there has been no further progress on demolition for two weeks. There's still a two story wall standing and a huge pile of bricks. Doesn't seem to be any reason why, but I recall this was going to be a fast project.

Something going on at the old Jake location across from Barneys. The door was standing open and it appears there's some interior demo. Not sure what's going in.

Esquire has a giant hole in the orange brick facade where new windows will be placed on the 3rd floor. I took photos on my phone, but it was dark and they don't look all that great. I'll try to get some better photos.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 6:48 AM

^ Speaking of Rush Street updates, I've been hoping for years for one that may never come - something to improve the nw corner at Oak. I think it's 2 E Oak or something but it might be 1000 N Rush. Great job of deadening the sidewalk there. Any chances of some white knight tenant (or the owner) redoing the 1st-floor facades and inserting something lively or attractive there?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 5:33 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
spyguy..do you have any additional info on another potential big luxury retailer that is apparently interested in doing something similar to Burberry along the Mag Mile? I believe you hinted on as much a few months ago on SSC..
I won't name names but it's partially connected to that Crain's article a few weeks ago. Basically North Bridge is looking for a multi-level flagship store/ junior anchor on the Michigan Avenue side to bring in more people to the rest of the mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Something going on at the old Jake location across from Barneys. The door was standing open and it appears there's some interior demo. Not sure what's going in.
Brunello Cucinelli store.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 5:43 PM
THAT Guy

Harper Court updates

The crane is up as mentioned earlier. Does anyone know whether the office building actually has 12 floors or not? Could be another construction start this year...

Harper Court redevelopment by find myself a city to live in, on Flickr

Clarke's is now open with a new facade

Jamie Manley/The Chicago Maroon

Kilwin's (ice cream, chocolate shop) is opening north of the new Harper Theater

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 6:33 PM
dream fast

Updates regarding 1601 W Division & 1815 W Division Proposed Developments

Neighborhood comments on the proposed development at 1815 W Division/Miller Lumber yard:

"Proposal for Miller Lumber site across Honore from LaSalle II School. Among other things, the entrance to the parking lot for the proposed site – near their alley and directly across from our drop-off area -- will be a real problem. Cars entering and leaving their lot during school start and end times will be a hassle and potential safety issue."

"There is great concern about the increase in traffic directly across from LaSalle Language Academy and its impact on the safety of children walking to school. We are unlikely to support a curbcut in close proximity to the existing alley, and suggest that the parking layout be revised so that all traffic uses the existing alley."

"We are concerned about safety and aesthetics related to the parking lot. Open parking is inconsistent with the residential character of this block; we would prefer to see the building come to the ground where it overhangs the parking, and an appropriate screen where the parking is uncovered."

Alderman Moreno discusses the proposed development at 1815 W. Division, Miller Lumber development, Tuesday, March 6 at 6 p.m. LaSalle II Magnet School.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....tuMAZ8iaRFE%3D

Last edited by george; Feb 23, 2012 at 7:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 7:38 PM
TL;DR

I like those changes to Ashland/Division. I liked the idea of a clean glass box there, but this is equally cool. Wheeler Kearns is doing a great job there. Only thing I'm worried about is that staggered facade... waterproofing will be a bitch.

Hopefully this will give Moreno an idea of what it will take to get more dense infill around CTA stops and major intersections.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
The crane is up as mentioned earlier. Does anyone know whether the office building actually has 12 floors or not? Could be another construction start this year...
It has twelve floors, yes. Not all the floors are designated for office, though. First floor is retail, second floor is all connected to and part of the parking garage. Third ties in partially with the parking garage, and looks to be designated for LA Fitness. Four through Twelve are office.

My understanding is that U of C is going to be occupying the office floors.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 8:19 PM
The City

I'm really excited about both of these developments.

I am also impressed that Chicago has at least 2 Aldermen now who seem to "get" the importance of TOD.

My biggest concern is that these two proposals (especially the larger of the two) don't end up being just that, and join a long list of projects that never broke ground. The whole Ukrainian/East Village area has come a LONG way in the past several years, but this recession has kind of stopped the march of progress. What happens in the next few years will determine whether these areas continue to gentrify or recede. As a property owner in the area, I of course want to see more development that attracts professionals and more shops/businesses, and developments like the ones above are exactly of that type. The loss of the Brooklyn Bowl left a psychological gap and something new needs to happen to reinject momentum into this part of town's ongoing improvement.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I like those changes to Ashland/Division
The beveled corner is a major improvement over the harsh right angle notch that was part of the previous design. The density boost from original 50-70 apartments up to the current 110-119 is a welcome change as well.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 9:47 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I like those changes to Ashland/Division. I liked the idea of a clean glass box there, but this is equally cool. Wheeler Kearns is doing a great job there. Only thing I'm worried about is that staggered facade... waterproofing will be a bitch.

Hopefully this will give Moreno an idea of what it will take to get more dense infill around CTA stops and major intersections.
Agreed, more glass would be better. The staggered metal panels relating to the glass will be a challenge.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 1:42 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
The beveled corner is a major improvement over the harsh right angle notch that was part of the previous design. The density boost from original 50-70 apartments up to the current 110-119 is a welcome change as well.
^ Didn't notice that till you pointed that out. I wish more new construction buildings in Chicago had rounded or beveled corners, especially at some of the most prominent intersections.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 4:03 AM
TL;DR

I thought the notch was beautiful. The chamfer seems kinda boring. I guess the developers wanted to gain an extra few SF.

It'll be really interesting to see how the architects detail this design - it looks like it could be quite costly. However, since the units don't have dedicated parking, it's my understanding that the developers are building mostly studios and 1BDs, targeting younger renters who don't have $2000 to burn each month.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 5:34 AM
BANNED

not sure where to put this but I think some like minded people would like this link

Quote:
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....uildings-.html

A DAILY CHICAGO JOURNAL ABOUT THE BUILDINGS
AND URBAN SPACES THAT SHAPE OUR LIVES
BY BLAIR N KAMIN

February 23, 2012

A new global skyscraper database from the Council on Tall Buildings

Skyscraper junkies now have a new place on the Web to search for fun facts, read technical papers and settle arguments.

The Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat today unveiled "The Skyscraper Center," an interactive global database that it bills as as offering "detailed profiles and images on every completed building in the world taller than 200 meters," plus buildings in other stages of development.

I took a quick spin through the site and found it to work well, with some exceptions.

There's a nice "quick lists" feature that ranks the world's tallest completed buildings (Chicago has five in the top 50), as well as the tallest under-construction buildings and the tallest demolished buildings.

Also good: an in-depth look at ...

Not so good: the interactive map that's supposed to ...

And some quibbles: Should the Chicago Spire be on the tallest under-construction list? The project is dead, not under construction...

Kevin Brass, the Council's communications manager and journal editor, said in an email that the new site is not a direct competitor of Emporis, the global building database.

"We see this as a reflection of our core mission to make information and resources available for free to the public," Brass said. "All the Skyscraper Center elements going forward—including more tools for professionals, as well as that vast population of skyscraper enthusiasts--will be completely open and free. We have absolutely no intention of becoming another Emporis or trying to compete with Emporis....

The Council is based on the campus of the Illinois Institute of Technology.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blair_Kamin

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development