HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 8:58 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's post COVID trip to MONTREAL

With the pandemic keeping the US land border closed and too many cases there to entice me to fly there, I opted for a long weekend in Montreal. No border crossing to worry about or costly PCR tests to take.

I've been to Montreal multiple times before, with my last visit in 2017, so this trip is intended to see the city's more off-the-beaten track attractions and eat some good food.

I like to visit markets during my travels, and with Halloween around the corner, the pumpkin displays are unique to the season and colourful.

Habitat 67 was designed by Israeli-Canadian architect Moshe Safdie as the Canadian Pavilion for the World Expo. Built on an artificial peninsula, the buildings showcased an example of high quality and affordable homes in a dense urban setting using prefabricated modular technology (the "boxes").

Being right next to the water with no other big buildings nearby, even the lower floors get to enjoy river and skyline views.

Montreal is famous for its bagels, and I tried 2 famous institutions to find both are delicious.

St-Viateur has been baking bagels for over 60 years and remains a family-owned business. Myer Lewkowicz came to Canada from Germany in 1953 and got a job at a bakery in Montreal. They set up their own shop years later. Today's owner worked for the Myer to continue the tradition.

Fairmount Bagel's history dates back to 1919 when Isadore Shlafman opened the Montreal Bagel Bakery. It moved to Fairmount Street in 1949, with the owner living upstairs. Its bagels continue to be made by hand and baked in wood-fired ovens, and the bakery is still managed by the same family today.

For a taste of fine dining, I returned to Bonaparte in Old Montreal, which is housed in a historic building from 1886. I last came back in my school days and this time I tried the tasting menu to sample a bit of everything.

More photos on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/montreal.htm

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 11:39 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Nice set!

Irrelevant anecdote: In the crime novels of Kathy Reichs one of the main characters, for several novels running, lives in Habitat 67.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Nice set!

Irrelevant anecdote: In the crime novels of Kathy Reichs one of the main characters, for several novels running, lives in Habitat 67.

Another anecdote crimewise, is the murder suicide by the son of the present owner of Fairmount bagels just a couple weeks ago.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 3:01 PM
Explorateur urbain

Beautiful pics. Unfortunately I don't have any irrelevant anecdotes to share

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 5:50 PM

Very nice! I love the iconic 20th century modernist buildings of Montreal-- Habitat 67, the Biosphere, Olympic stadium...even the metro has some cool brutalist touches. They create a neat contrast between the older building stock, and demonstrate the importance of Montreal in the 20th century.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 5:49 AM
Hong Kong

Montreal's metro opened in 1966 with vehicles running on tires on an entirely underground network. Architects were hired to decorate the stations, which include murals, stained glass panels, and sculptures. The network is full of artistic interest and warrants an underground tour during your visit.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 7:46 AM
Hong Kong

The 13.5km Lachine Canal connects Lake Saint-Louis and the Old Port through 5 locks to bypass the Lachine Rapids. The idea was originally conceived in the 17th century although war and financial problems plagued the project. During the 19th century, Montreal set its eyes as a major trading hub on the continent, competing against New York. The canal was completed in 1825 and enlarged twice subsequently. At its peak, nearly 15,000 ships used the canal annually, but the canal declined with the St. Lawrence Seaway opening in 1959.

Griffintown grew in the early 19th century and was once home to many Irish labourers. Lately, young professionals have moved in, with the 2-storey workman's houses being replaced by tall condo towers.

The redevelopment stops past Wellington as the canal opens up into the Bassin Peel.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 4:25 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

nice pix.

it looks very quiet.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 4:35 PM

Spent a week in October in Griffintown and was impressed on all the construction and changes to the area.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 4:51 PM
Hong Kong

Thanks for your comments. Let's head indoors now and have a look at a museum.

Located near McGill University, the McCord Museum is most famous for its indigenous artifacts.

Celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2021, the museum offered 100 days of free admission thanks to corporate support from a bank. The museum is named after collector David Ross McCord, who was born in the city in 1844. He set out to preserve and celebrate Canadian history. His collection outgrew his home and was donated to McGill University in 1919, and the museum opened in 1921.

The Inuit used intestinal membrane to create this type of waterproof parka, which allows perspiration to evaporate.

They used protective snow goggles which limited the amount of light through to better focus for hunting.

Silver items were initially gifted by the Europeans for diplomatic reasons. In the first half of the 19th century, indigenous silversmiths started making these type of objects.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 3:17 AM
Hong Kong

Mont Royal is a short mountain rising over 230m just behind the city's downtown. Much of it is a lush park laid out by Frederick Law Olmsted, who also designed New York's Central Park. At the time, the rich folks living next door were worried about losing this green spot and set out to create the park. I've been up here a number of times before, including in the dead middle of winter, but a blue sky prompted me to return. It's an easy staircase walk from McGill University downtown.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/montreal.htm

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 5:35 AM

Love this city, thanks for the beautiful pictures.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 5:36 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

This is a very nice thread, colorful food, Habitat, subway tunnels, museums, skylines, what more do you need?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 10:04 PM

I love all the concrete formwork in the metro stations, when I visited I rode it to many of the stations to photograph it!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos