HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 9:32 PM

Yep, that's pretty sad. It's like a missing piece in a jigsaw puzzle.
...and the Kodak Building was a winner, understated and elegant.

Thanks for the 'before and afters' DTLAdenizen.
__

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 9:56 PM
BANNED

Yes, Sir....all present and accounted for, Sir.

[QUOTE=C. King;6788970]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Beaten to it again! Here's the post I was working on when I saw that C. King had got there first. Some of the information comes from the same source.

Sorry 'bout that HossC!

I just noticed at the bottom of the plaque at the base of the monument, that it was erected by Mr. Temple and the Cadets of the Pasadena Army Navy Academy, later called Pasadena Military Academy. After a very small amount of research, I have not come up with a locale for the campus. The few mentions of it, just has the location listed as a (K-12) in the San Raphael Heights area of Pasadena. Only other info I could come up with was that the school was founded in 1917. Maybe some of the other sleuths on the board can dig a bit deeper.

Casey
This is what I found...so far.

The Vanguard University Campus Buildings collection includes images that chronicle the history of the institution from its first campus in Highland Park to its current location in Costa Mesa. Vanguard University first opened in 1920 as Southern California Bible School (SCBS). The first SCBS campus on Echo Street in Highland Park was actually a fifteen room home donated by a wealthy New York widow. Enrollment grew rapidly and the Echo Street campus, which was used for seven years, could no longer comfortably facilitate the school. In 1927, SCBS moved to the Avenue 64 campus in Pasadena. The new campus was spacious with plenty of classrooms and 95 dorm rooms. In 1939, SCBS became Southern California Bible College (SCBC) after it was given approval to grant degrees. The school experienced tremendous growth, and, on September 11, 1950, SCBC moved to its current location in Costa Mesa. In the following years, the school changed its name two more times to Southern California College (SCC) and to Vanguard University of Southern California.

1922 image of the campus.

O. Cope Budge Library Digital Collections

Junior Hall , Ave. 64, Highland Park campus 1927

O. Cope Budge Library Digital Collections

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Oct 30, 2014 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 10:06 PM

I missed that picture, CBD. Here's what I've found.

I'll start with a bit of history for the Pasadena Army and Navy Academy and the Pasadena Military Academy. It's from a book called 'The American Pre-College Military School: A History and Comprehensive Catalog of Institutions' by Samuel J. Rogal.

books.google.com

The March 6, 1925 edition of the Covina Argus gives details of the move to Covina.
NB. I rearranged the headline to save width.

newspaperarchive.com

The Pasadena Military Academy had a large advert in the 1923 CD, which gives an address of W Avenue 64 between W Colorado and La Loma Road. The academy also gets a mention in the 1926 California Preparatory School advert. The 1926 classified listing still gives the address on W Avenue 64. The California Preparatory School also appears in the 1927 and 1932 CDs, although neither gives the new address. The 1927 CD just says "¾ mile Southeast of Grand Avenue Station on Pacific Electric Railway".

LAPL

Here's a 1917 enamel pin from the Pasadena Army and Navy Academy ...

worthpoint.com

... and a 1920 belt buckle from the Pasadena Military Academy. I see the California Preparatory School kept the 1917 founding date and the "Honesty Industry Loyalty" motto of the military academy.

eBay

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 10:31 PM

Wow, look at this Los Angeles traffic signal prototype!

ebay

Has anyone seen this contraption before?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 30, 2014 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Wow, look at this Los Angeles traffic signal prototype!

Has anyone seen this contraption before?

__
I've met its first cousin at several dragstrips :-)

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:12 PM

"Three snapshots / unidentified beach, Los Angeles 1936"

ebay

ebay

ebay

__

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:31 PM

A clue? Oil wells near the beach.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
"Three snapshots / unidentified beach, Los Angeles 1936"

__
hey thanks...ER. I love any old beach photos. They remind me of happy carefree days of summer in my youth and even before. If you find any more, don't hesitate to post.

The middle photo lady looks like she's about to get her toes wet......

ebay via ER

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Oct 31, 2014 at 1:24 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
A clue? Oil wells near the beach.
Very hard to tell where ER's beach photos were taken. Back in 1936 there were oil wells all along the So. Cal. coast.
There's a substantial breakwater in the background, so this could be Long Beach, Newport Beach and even further south or north, such as Redondo Beach.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:

__
Is there a way to find out why the building is gone?
It could be a simple as post-earthquake red-tagging.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Hey thanks...ER. I love any old beach photos. If you find any more, don't hesitate to post.
Here's one dated May 21, 1917 showing two children on the beach (their prams are visible in the back ground).

ebay

Also in the background is an Eastman Studio portable 'wagon',
...and at right, I'm pretty sure the sign on the building says Cooper Hotel. --->

I found it among a list of hotels in the 1923-24 Santa Monica directory.

http://www.lapl.org/collections-reso...al-collections

...as well as this more detailed listing in the same directory.

http://www.lapl.org/collections-reso...al-collections

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 31, 2014 at 2:32 AM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 1:53 AM

Quote:

__

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=11692

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 1:54 AM

Kodak Building Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
Is there a way to find out why the building is gone?
It could be a simple as post-earthquake red-tagging.
What I find most interesting about the structure that replaced the Kodak Building is it's size, given the real estate values in the area. I would think that any replacement structure would be much larger, approximating or exceeding the height of the buildings on either side.

Thanks for the comparison photo DTLAdenizen.

Cheers,
Jack

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Entrance to Olympic Trailer Court, 2121 Bundy Drive, Santa Monica.
_________

Aircraft engine crates make for great storage sheds. Likely available from nearby Douglas Aircraft at Cloverfield.
I've often wondered while travelling around Los Angeles if any of the streets, buildings or other locations, are where writers get inspirations for their characters or places and such. Is Bundy Drive the inspiration for the family name on Married With Children? Was Cloverfield the inspiration for the eponymous movie title? Was Agent Larrabee on Get Smart named because of Larrabee Street?

While we might not know specifics, it's quite likely some were. Paul Thomas Anderson's film Magnolia was inspired by the street he grew up on in the valley, Magnolia Blvd. and Aaron Spelling got the character name for his detective on the series Vegas from Dan Tana's Restaurant on Santa Monica Blvd. near Doheny.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 2:00 AM

Speaking of Dan Tana's... On the program "Things That Aren't Here Anymore" previously discussed on NLA, the narrator, Ralph Story, says, and I might be paraphrasing, "Of all the things that aren't here anymore, restaurants are the most notable."

Well, Dan Tana's just had a party to celebrate it's 50th Anniversary! It opened in 1964.

An article HERE discusses it's star-studded history, the fact it limped along until a turning point occurred in 1976 and was so popular that a devastating fire in 1980 got the patrons and Gov. Jerry Brown among them, to rebuild it as soon as possible.

The article details the improbable success of the owner, Dan Tana, a former Yugoslav soccer star who emigrated to the U.S., dabbled as an actor, mostly on TV, was an employee at Miceli's in Hollywood (also still there!) before opening his own restaurant.

Noted in the article is this history: The original building and first restaurant were built in 1938 on the former site of a wartime victory garden. The venue was Black’s Lucky Spot Café -- a counter-style lunch joint with a horseshoe-shaped sign displaying its name. The bulk of business came from bands of workers doing maintenance on the old Pacific Electric Red Car Trolley that ran out front along Santa Monica Boulevard (spikes from the original railroad ties are framed on the restaurant's wall). Over the next few years, ownership changed hands between loyal employees and relatives. Black’s became “Domenico’s Lucky Spot,” and then just “Dominic’s” until 1964.

I couldn't locate a photo of the 1938 incarnation. The book "Wartime Slang" says that victory garden is a World War II expression, however, which doesn't gel with the 1938 timeline.

E_R has a post that shows the current location and also a photo of a Red Car passing by "Domenico's Lucky Horseshoe Cafe." (Indicated it's from the 1940's.) Here's that post:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=15506

This photo may have been posted before. It's dated 1945. You can see the building bottom right where Dan Tana's will be, but can't make out if it's Domenico's as of this date.

This link below is a photo of Dan Tana's in 1964 when it opened. It's way too large to post here, IMO.
http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2014/09...nas%201964.jpg

I did a post of the Santa Monica Blvd./Doheny area where there's a 1965 photo which shows Dan Tana's on the far right.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=21575

Last edited by Martin Pal; Jan 18, 2019 at 6:29 PM. Reason: Replace missing photo

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 2:01 AM

Thanks for the interesting data on Domenico's/Dan Tana's Martin_Pal.
I remember I was pretty excited when I first noticed that the old Domenico's 'horseshoe' sign was hidden beneath the Dan Tana's sign.

South Broadway near Fourth Street, postmarked 1910.

ebay

...note the Zobel Building at left;
(a quick search using 'Zobel' as a keyword turns up nothing on NLA)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 31, 2014 at 2:27 AM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Was Cloverfield the inspiration for the eponymous movie title?
From what I've heard the answer is yes M_P.
One of the executives (a producer?....a writer?) used the Cloverfield exit daily-hence the name.

I'll see if I can find the source.
__

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 3:57 AM

Quote:
I've often wondered while travelling around Los Angeles if any of the streets, buildings or other locations, are where writers get inspirations for their characters or places and such. ... Was Cloverfield the inspiration for the eponymous movie title?
I don't know about the others, but I recall JJ Abrams mentioned that the movie was named after the exit he took every day going to his office in Santa Monica...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 4:22 AM

Quote:
The article details the improbable success of the owner, Dan Tana, a former Yugoslav soccer star who emigrated to the U.S., dabbled as an actor, mostly on TV, was an employee at Miceli's in Hollywood (also still there!) before opening his own restaurant.
After I wrote this, later on I did a Miceli's Restaurant search and was surprised to find it has not been posted about on NLA though it had been mentioned incidentally in three other posts.
I'll see if I can find a few things about it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 4:37 AM

Screenshot of Schwab's 1949

Although this screenshot is a little bit blurry, it does give us a color shot of Schwab's circa 1949. It's from a Doris Day movie, "My Dream is Yours." I guess that fenced-off space is where Googie's later went in.

But what really caught my eye was the "Glorifried Ham 'n Eggs" sign on the left. It reminded me of the same sign attached to Tom Brenneman's on Vine Street. It was the first time I realized "Glorifried Ham 'n Eggs" was a restaurant chain.

[The Schwab's screenshot is from Philip Mershon whose Felix in Hollywood does a really interesting walking tour of Sunset Blvd]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos