HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 9:59 AM

This is the main Halifax one. The architecture is a bit clunky now that I look at it:

Source

This is the one that I have a lot of questions about, architecturally (the grey building on the left):

Source

There was actually a brief dispute with the microbrewery next door - representatives from the mosque complained that people were being too loud and disrespectful around their place of worship, but it turned out that no one at the brewery had realized it was a mosque in the first place (because look at it...) and once they did, everyone got along fine.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The idea that non-European immigrants to Canada in the 70s, 80s and 90s were subjected to horrible treatment (compared to today) and simply grinned and bore it, and that these same people today deny that things were bad simply due to the colonization of their minds, not wanting to rock the boat or having been beaten into submission, would be I am sure either amusing or perhaps offensive to them.
Who said anything about "horrible treatment"? Read my posts carefully. I said no such thing. I said they didn't have a choice in the past. That is not the case today. The gulf between cultural amenities for immigrants between big city and small town wasn't as huge in the past. This meant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Canada's points-based immigration system dates back to the late 1960s. The people I know are predominantly educated white collar professionals educated in the old country who came here to work, or to pursue their studies. Some also came as foreign students. They're not grunts.

The father of one of my good friends has a PhD and is a retired senior federal bureaucrat who actually held the pen on Canada's Multiculturalism Act.

I have no idea how old you are but the good thing about being (a bit) older, if you take advantage of it, is more years to have met more people and learned about their life experiences.

Si jeunesse savait, si vieillesse* pouvait

*Not that I am that old to begin with, nor am I physically limited in any way.
I know all about the point system. My parents were beneficiaries (and by extension me). And I have cousins who have immigrated in the last 5 years. So I'm intimately aware of how the system works and how it has changed.

You should look up the stats and how the point system has evolved. We get far more educated immigrants today than we did decades ago. The points for education are so much higher. Whereas trades workers could qualify on points in previous generations, today, an immigrant isn't likely to qualify without an undergrad degree and most have more than that. That higher education also means they are far more likely to come from cities elsewhere. Insisting that they accept a loss of cultural identity is basically piling on to the demand that they give up the urban lifestyles they are used to as well.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 4:56 AM

This town (Mcadam New Brunswick) is about an hour from anywhere. You might even call it a geographical anomaly. Recently they attempted to incentivize population growth with 1$ town lots for sale https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ayor-1.5349895.

Apparently it is working https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ales-1.5480108. I am all for trying something new and I am glad it is working out in the meantime. If anything it got people excited about the prospect of small town living.

Mcadam's pop 1151 in 2016, and had been trending down since the dawn of time (1940's), we will see if it has actually affected the population of just encouraged more home sales.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada