HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 11:16 PM

Bring back wool swimsuits--so we can take them off

From diaryofamadinvalid.blogspot.com/2017/07/little-known-history-ymca-required-male.html. Nicely illustrated, as is http://www.frank-answers.com/frank-a...d-in-the-ymca/

"Within the YMCA, there was no national mandate, so each location decided for itself on its nude swimming policies. The tide began to shift in 1961 when Ervin Baugher, the general secretary of the Allentown, Pennsylvania, investigated.... YMCA reported to an executive YMCA conference that, basically, the reasons for nude swimming. Wool fibers and cleanliness no longer made sense for modern pools, which were then equipped with chlorine and powerful filtration systems. In fact, Baugher said the only rational reason to continue the tradition of nude swimming was 'encouraging a proper attitude toward the body.'” Absolutely.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Dang, HS beat me! By minutes, by minutes I tells ya!

originally posted by ODINTHOR / edited
Thanks Handsome Stranger and odinthor.

Here is Crown Prince Olav and Crown Princess Martha shortly after they arrived at the Biltmore Hotel on May 14, 1939.

historicimages

INFO.

Crown Prince Olav at Sycamore Grove, May 1939

Delivering his speech in Norwegian.

__

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Thanks, Acorn!

That makes a lot of sense and something I hadn't thought of before. (I guess because I had the image of lit Santa Claus's from the Spielberg film.) It also explains why I haven't seen any night shots, but there is a distinct lack of daytime photos as well.

I'm also now wondering, since both photos I've seen were facing west, were these made with Santa facing both ways? Probably, otherwise you'd just see Santa from behind.

(P.S.: I have corrected this in my original post, but "a bit west of Ivar" should "be a bit east of Ivar.")
Hey, Martin! I think Spielberg used the Santas because the script called for it. One of them falls on someone or something. I guess I'll have to watch the film again--something I thought I'd never do.

Until now, I never knew the Hollywood Blvd. Santas ever existed (outside of the film). I like the way that Santa appears to be holding the two lanterns of the street light!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
You don't mean this feminine type, do you?

streetswing

Can't believe someone was able to take this photo of me when I thought I'd drawn the curtains!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The Hawaii Theatre on Hollywood Boulevard isn't new to NLA (see links below), but we haven't seen these Julius Shulman pictures before. This is "Job Lee-H: Hawaii Theatre, undated". As you can see, the set is undated. According to cinematreasures.org, the Hawaii Theatre opened on 6th May 1940. The information with this photoset credits S Charles Lee as architect, but Cinema Treasures and the online building records say the architect was Clarence J Smale. 'The Mill on the Floss' was released in 1936.

Here's a view of the back from near the screen.

The Hawaiian theme went all the way down the walls.

All from Getty Research Institute

As I said above, we've seen the Hawaii Theatre before, including color shots showing off its neon - see post #9959, post #29399 and post #29814. The theater has been in the hands of one religious organization or another since the mid-60s. Here's a reminder of how 5941 Hollywood Boulevard looks today.

GSV
1959 -5000 block, Hollywood Blvd. looking west.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/d8c8f644...fo1_r1_500.jpg

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
1959 -5000 block, Hollywood Blvd. looking west.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/d8c8f644...fo1_r1_500.jpg
I remember driving down Hollywood Boulevard with my dad, when he pointed over to the Hawaii Theatre and said,

"Now, that makes me feel old!"

"What does?" I ask.

"I remember when they were building the Hawaii. Now, it's closing."

Now these many years later, I understand. I spent so many hours of the day and night in the Pix, the Marcal, the Apollo, the Iris, the Academy, the Oriental, the Clinton, the Hollywood, the Vogue, the Admiral, the Pacific and on and on. I remember when the Cinerama Dome was built, billed as the first new theater in Hollywood in 25 years. Tempus fugit, folks.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 9:00 PM

Love the "Hawaii" blade sign, that must've been added at some point.

(BDiH, the Cinerama Dome opened the same year the Hawaii closed. The Hawaii had been open for 23 years; built in 1940.)

_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn8332 View Post
Hey, Martin! I think Spielberg used the Santas because the script called for it. One of them falls on someone or something. I guess I'll have to watch the film again--something I thought I'd never do.

Until now, I never knew the Hollywood Blvd. Santas ever existed (outside of the film). I like the way that Santa appears to be holding the two lanterns of the street light!

This Warner Bros. backlot shot of a set from Spielberg's 1941 shows a couple of the Santa Claus decorations they used in the film.
In the film the Santas are lighted and Santa's arms are by his side and he's not holding up the lanterns.

Photo by Alan Light

Last edited by Martin Pal; Dec 27, 2018 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 10:53 PM

ANOTHER SANTA!

Looking around the internet at other Hawaii Theatre information because of Tourmaline's post,
I happened upon another personal photograph taken of one of the Hollywood Blvd. Santa Claus decorations!

This one is facing east at the Admiral Theater on Hollywood Blvd., right before Vine Street.

Johnny Wareham

This was on a Facebook posting by Johnny Wareham. He writes:

From my mom's (Priscilla) old photo album. Written on back: "The little (green) arrow is pointing to where I worked during Xmas. [MP: The Broadway Department Store, I'm guessing.] Just up the street a little ways from the Taft building, still on Hollywood Blvd., is the 'Hitching Post.' Straight up from the Admiral theater, about 3 doors is 'Melody Lane' a quite well known restaurant."

The Admiral is showing "You Can't Get Away with Murder (released May 20, 1939) and "The Three Musketeers" (released February 17, 1939). The theatre showed double bills of second run films, so it's not entirely certain when this might be dated, but the earliest this photo could be dated is the holiday season of 1940 as the Admiral opened on May 16, 1940. [see next paragraph]

_______

The Los Angeles Theatres website, link HERE, has this to say about the Hitching Post location: "In late 1940 they weren't running newsreels but rather foreign films and advertising the theatre as the Tele View Revival. In 1941 it was renamed the Hitching Post." So perhaps the earliest the above photo could be dated is the holiday season of 1941. Anyone have access to L.A. Times or Examiner movie listings for the holidays in 1941? [see next paragraph]

_______

I found a color postcard and a Getty photo, link HERE, that have 1941 dated photos of Hollywood Blvd. with the lighted Christmas Trees, so we're narrowing down the "Santa Claus years" to what Acorn has surmised, they were installed during the blackout years of 1942, 1943 and 1944.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Oct 13, 2019 at 8:50 PM. Reason: replace photo

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 12:18 AM

nzpetesmatteshot

Filming '1941'..a pretty good look at one of the Spielberg Santas illuminated

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 28, 2018 at 12:28 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 12:20 AM

just found this.

from the movie 1941 nzpetesmatteshot

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 6:31 AM

"1888 PHOTO...FAMILY BY HOUSE ON HILL ST, WAGON WITH SIGN, LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA." EBAY

EBAY

"Original c.1888 cabinet card Boudoir size photograph ( 8 1/2" x 5 1/4" ) showing early view with W. S. Allen family posing by their home
on 1622 South Hill Street in Los Angeles California.There are wagons on left and one with sign on it side, but I can not make up this sign."
ebay description

I especially LOVE the coach house.

DETAIL

The wagon with the 'sign' is to the right of the coach house (next to the tall gentleman with the beard)

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 2:14 PM

Here's the W S Allen house surrounded by greenery in a detail from a 1905 panorama.

I posted the full image in post #19318, some of which I've include below. The Allen house is near the center of the Baist map.

Quote:

"Panoramic view of downtown Los Angeles including St. Vincent's College, ca.1905"

USC Digital Library

www.historicmapworks.com
William S Allen had a wholesale and retail furniture and carpets business at 332-334 South Spring Street (per the 1891 CD). The same CD also lists Joseph W Barker, Josiah W Parker and Miss M Belle Parker living at 1622 South Hill Street. Miss Parker was W S Allen's bookkeeper. By 1893, a domestic named Miss Adele Glaser had also moved in (there's no mention of Mr Barker).

This circa 1898 image is the best picture of the business on Spring Street that I've found so far (you can see the name and number on the left).

USC Digital Library

Going back through the CDs, it appears that W S Allen previously had a furniture, carpets and wallpaper business with O T Barker at 324 and 326 N Main Street (1883-84 CD). O T Barker's sons later founded the eponymous Barker Bros furniture business.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 2:38 PM

Excellent, HossC. Here's a little more on the Allen house. It's unclear as to whether he was the builder, but he seems to have moved into it ca 1889--he'd been living at 36 Pine Street (not sure where that is or was). The first address was 1512 S Hill...the 1891 renumbering altered that to 1622. William S. Allen died on May 24, 1902, while still living at 1622. His widow, Eliza, appears to have moved out of the house by mid 1908 or so, but she retained it as a rental...until March 1923 when BPs were issued for its demolition and replacement--Mrs. Allen having hired Morgan Walls & Morgan to build the strip of stores that are on the site today.

Allen ran this ad in the Herald frequently...

His obit:

LAH May 25, 1902

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 2:45 PM

I carried on looking, and found this undated drawing of the east side of Spring Street which shows W S Allen's furniture and carpets store on the right.

LAPL

There's also this partial view of the store looking north.

LAPL

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Here's a little more on the Allen house. It's unclear as to whether he was the builder, but he seems to have moved into it ca 1889--he'd been living at 36 Pine Street (not sure where that is or was).
Here's Pine Street on the 1890 Sanborn map. W Pine only ran between Grand and Main. It looks like E Pine also continued east of San Pedro Street. As far as I can tell, Pine had become 16th Street on the 1910 Baist map, but today's layout is so different, I'm not sure which street used to be Pine (16th between Grand and Main is now Venice Boulevard). Either way, it was very close to 1622 South Hill Street.

www.loc.gov

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 5:12 PM

A M A Z I N G.............SLEUTHING !
..................................HossC......................GaylordWilshire

1622 S. Hill Street

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 6:36 PM

Yep, every house has a story...found these items regarding the Allen household, which did not live happily ever after...well, I suppose Eliza did...

LAH Oct 26, 1901

1622 S Hill St sat on Lots 22 & 24 in Block H of the Morris Vineyard Tract

"NOT A CENT FOR WIFE"...but 21 years later it would be her name on the building permits that redeveloped the parcel...

LAH May 28, 1902

Quote:
.... As far as I can tell, Pine had become 16th Street on the 1910 Baist map, but today's layout is so different, I'm not sure which street used to be Pine (16th between Grand and Main is now Venice Boulevard). Either way, it was very close to 1622 South Hill Street.
As for Pine Street...the Herald mentioned its renaming to 16th on Sept 15, 1891--which would be around the time of the renumberings north and south of First St that year; I'm thinking that Allen's address of 36 Pine was attached to the same property that was later 1512/1622 S Hill.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Dec 28, 2018 at 11:36 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 3:25 AM

I like the artwork on this old decal from the 1940s. [asking $74.99]

EBAY

But the bear reminds me of THIS.

search purposes: Los Angeles City College Cubs

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 4:06 AM

Have we ever visited The Officers Club?

Ebay

Hmmmmm...so what does SAMSO and AFCMD stand for?

__

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 6:31 AM

AFCMD is Air Force Contract Management Division. No idea what SAMSO might be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos