HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 3:58 AM

After watching Ben Chiarot play last night, I sure miss him on our blue line. I wish Chevy would have bit the bullet and signed him. After knowing we were losing Trouba and Myers and now with Byfuglien gone, it would have made sense.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 4:24 PM

If Buff would be playing, Jets have no cap space to keep chairot at the 4m or whatever he's making. Same with myers at 6m per year! Insane. Vancouver Twitter peeps hate myers. Has good flashes but then just completely sucks the rest of the time.

So Jets were stuck relying on the depth players. If buff was in the line-up, it would be a different story. Sounds like he'll be back playing in the next month or two.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
After watching Ben Chiarot play last night, I sure miss him on our blue line. I wish Chevy would have bit the bullet and signed him. After knowing we were losing Trouba and Myers and now with Byfuglien gone, it would have made sense.
Chiarot is the only player that left over the summer that I wish we could have kept. App the others signed for way too much. And the pionk trade may go down as Chevy's best yet.

But.....cap space. It's too bad Chevy couldn't have swung a deal to trade Kulikov and a prospect for a 2020 8th round pick just to free up that cap space. But again, when Chiarot signed with Montreal, we still had to deal with Copp, Connor, Liane , Pionk and Comrie.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
Chiarot is the only player that left over the summer that I wish we could have kept. App the others signed for way too much. And the pionk trade may go down as Chevy's best yet.

But.....cap space. It's too bad Chevy couldn't have swung a deal to trade Kulikov and a prospect for a 2020 8th round pick just to free up that cap space. But again, when Chiarot signed with Montreal, we still had to deal with Copp, Connor, Liane , Pionk and Comrie.
Kulikov's salary is a terrible handicap, and has probably gone down as one of Chevy's worst deals ever. Kuli is not abysmally bad or anything, but not worth $4.3M, don't know how he ever negotiated that one.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 8:33 PM

Yes, Ben Chiarot's always had a knack for seeing that pucks end up in the Jets' net...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 9:52 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Kulikov's salary is a terrible handicap, and has probably gone down as one of Chevy's worst deals ever. Kuli is not abysmally bad or anything, but not worth $4.3M, don't know how he ever negotiated that one.
That's how it goes at free agency. You generally overpay, it's just the way things go.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 10:02 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Short term contract that filled a need.

If Kulikov ended up being remotely durable, it wouldn't be that bad.

The Myers contract that he signed with the Canucks is an example of a bad contract that will handicap the team.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 11:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Short term contract that filled a need.

If Kulikov ended up being remotely durable, it wouldn't be that bad.

The Myers contract that he signed with the Canucks is an example of a bad contract
that will handicap the team.
Lots of buyers remorse on the Myers contract, fact is he sucked in Winnipeg after his first season here! Guy did come up with a good game about 1 in every 20 or so though!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:21 AM

Awesome victory over the Leafs!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 5:13 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Awesome victory over the Leafs!
Victory is so sweet, even if it had to be settled in the shootout.

Much more entertaining than the previous game last week.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 2:07 PM

Nice to see the Jets get their revenge on the Leafs and Habs although it's too bad it couldn't have happened at home to quiet down the insufferable Toronto and Montreal fans at the games!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Nice to see the Jets get their revenge on the Leafs and Habs although it's too bad it couldn't have happened at home to quiet down the insufferable Toronto and Montreal fans at the games!
I know teams like the Leafs and Canadiens have lots of local fans. IMO it's a generational thing for lots of people; e.g. "daddy" loved the Habs so I do too. I also think it just must be a "thing" to show up at your city's arena wearing the opposition jersey. You see it all the time on highlights from all over the NHL-the visiting team scores, then there's a shot of some guy standing up and looking around for the camera to show him applauding. Guess some folks are just needy for attention.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I know teams like the Leafs and Canadiens have lots of local fans. IMO it's a generational thing for lots of people; e.g. "daddy" loved the Habs so I do too. I also think it just must be a "thing" to show up at your city's arena wearing the opposition jersey. You see it all the time on highlights from all over the NHL-the visiting team scores, then there's a shot of some guy standing up and looking around for the camera to show him applauding. Guess some folks are just needy for attention.
Winnipeg probably has more away team fans than most because of the years without a NHL team. The Leafs in particular were a good team in the pre-2005 lockout years. I also think a lot of their fans came in from Saskatchewan and NW Ontario around Christmas for those games.

And let's face it, with demand for Jets tickets having softened somewhat, the Leafs/Habs are some of the only sure things remaining for ticketholders looking to sell a few games.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:26 PM

You have to consider that pre-1980 the vast majority of NHL fans in Canada were either Leafs or Habs fans. Obviously that is passed down through families somewhat. I consider myself a Habs fan secondarily to the Jets. My dad was indeed a Habs fan pre NHL Jets. He immigrated to Canada in the 60's. Seems a lot of immigrants of that period in Winnipeg were Habs aligned for whatever reason.

Anyone born prior to 1970 or in the 1990's have lived longer without an NHL team in Winnipeg than with one.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 5:52 PM

The Leaf Canadians thing happens everywhere, except obviously in Montreal and Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 6:30 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
You have to consider that pre-1980 the vast majority of NHL fans in Canada were either Leafs or Habs fans. Obviously that is passed down through families somewhat. I consider myself a Habs fan secondarily to the Jets. My dad was indeed a Habs fan pre NHL Jets. He immigrated to Canada in the 60's. Seems a lot of immigrants of that period in Winnipeg were Habs aligned for whatever reason.

Anyone born prior to 1970 or in the 1990's have lived longer without an NHL team in Winnipeg than with one.
I’m 55 and the Jets date back to when I was in Grade One. That is coming up half a century ago now. From what I remember, the authentic team to have liked in Winnipeg was Chicago, since Manitoba was in their territory in the pre-draft days. There is simply NO EXCUSE for going to the arena with a Leafs sweater on in the year 2020.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I’m 55 and the Jets date back to when I was in Grade One. That is coming up half a century ago now. From what I remember, the authentic team to have liked in Winnipeg was Chicago, since Manitoba was in their territory in the pre-draft days. There is simply NO EXCUSE for going to the arena with a Leafs sweater on in the year 2020.
Interesting. I've always assumed the abundance of apparent Leafs fans was just another thing Manitoba inherited from the waves of Ontarians who settled here. And I guess I didn't question the flimsy, conceited line that the Leafs were English Canada's team, while the Habs were French Canada's. Though of course that isn't automatically true, as I have a soft spot for the Habs because it was the team of my mother's family who moved from the Netherlands to Eastern Ontario circa 1950.

It would make sense that Chicago might be a favourite NHL team for Winnipeggers pre-expansion, given Chicago was geographically closest to us, and also a midwestern gateway city.

And of course Winnipeg had a long and glorious tradition of hockey long before the Jets came along. (My Winnipeg ancestors were devoted Monarchs fans circa 1945, but apparently didn't care much about the Leafs.) It's not like we were all huddled around the radio listening to 'real' hockey on CBC, anymore than Winnipeggers are uniformly Vikings football fans today.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:23 PM

^ I would imagine HNIC exposure had a lot to do with the Leafs/Habs fanbase in Winnipeg. I'm not ashamed to admit that I liked the late Ballard-era Leafs partly because they were on TV all the time while the Jets rarely were.

Maybe in places like Calgary and Edmonton that vestigial love of Original 6 teams faded over time, but not having a NHL team for an entire generation's formative years didn't help things here.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:28 PM

Personal anecdote. I have a godson who is now 4. He's a leafs fan despite everyone's strongest efforts to deter him haha. He watched them on TV, got excited watching the game, and is now a fan. He goes as far as to take off his Jets jersey when Dad put's it on him. Like takes it off and whips it to the floor. Now every time it's Saturday night, guess who's on tv. Further reinforces his fandom.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Interesting. I've always assumed the abundance of apparent Leafs fans was just another thing Manitoba inherited from the waves of Ontarians who settled here. And I guess I didn't question the flimsy, conceited line that the Leafs were English Canada's team, while the Habs were French Canada's. Though of course that isn't automatically true, as I have a soft spot for the Habs because it was the team of my mother's family who moved from the Netherlands to Eastern Ontario circa 1950.

It would make sense that Chicago might be a favourite NHL team for Winnipeggers pre-expansion, given Chicago was geographically closest to us, and also a midwestern gateway city.

And of course Winnipeg had a long and glorious tradition of hockey long before the Jets came along. (My Winnipeg ancestors were devoted Monarchs fans circa 1945, but apparently didn't care much about the Leafs.) It's not like we were all huddled around the radio listening to 'real' hockey on CBC, anymore than Winnipeggers are uniformly Vikings football fans today.
Are you referring to the Winnipeg Maple Leafs, or the Toronto Maple Leafs? The former was probably a little before their time, but they did Challenge the Wanderers for the Stanley Cup once.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan