HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Yeah but that totally negates the cost advantage of going electric. Startup is higher and if you were to start making it more expensive to charge it then a lot of people would still prefer the energy density and convenience of gasoline.
You already have to pay to charge at public chargers, and it's many times cheaper per mile than gasoline. A large swath of people will seldom use a public charger anyway. They'll be topping up at home for the majority of their usage.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 2:10 PM

Electrify Canada will triple its charging stations within 4 years. Currently only have stations in Toronto - Montreal and Vancouver - Calgary corridors. Plan to have coast to coast trans Canada coverage. The petro Canada network already has coverage on most of this route absent the Saskatoon - Edmonton corridor which would be new coverage. There are one off chargers of course which can be found at various locations, car dealerships, Ikea etc but I think it's a positive to have single entity Canada wide networks. Ofcourse Tesla has a robust network but its locked to Telsa vehicles only.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 9:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Electrify Canada will triple its charging stations within 4 years. Currently only have stations in Toronto - Montreal and Vancouver - Calgary corridors. Plan to have coast to coast trans Canada coverage. The petro Canada network already has coverage on most of this route absent the Saskatoon - Edmonton corridor which would be new coverage. There are one off chargers of course which can be found at various locations, car dealerships, Ikea etc but I think it's a positive to have single entity Canada wide networks. Ofcourse Tesla has a robust network but its locked to Telsa vehicles only.
Manitoba Hydro was discouraging Manitobans from converting to electric hot water tanks not long ago because electrical output wouldn't meet demand, don't know how thousands of electrical vehicles in the mix is attainable!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Manitoba Hydro was discouraging Manitobans from converting to electric hot water tanks not long ago because electrical output wouldn't meet demand, don't know how thousands of electrical vehicles in the mix is attainable!
That seems odd given the new generating stations.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
If they were discouraging electric heater it has failed as changes were made to the MB gas code in the last year or so to eliminate the use of existing combined chimney flue's by an existing water heater when it has to be replaced after a midrange furnace is disconnected. Its something to do with the draft flow if the liner is too big

I had my hot water tank go in the early spring and it was cheaper to put in an electric tank than reline the furnace flue for a new gas water heater tank or install a direct vent gas water heater tank.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 2:20 AM

Yeah, my newly constructed apartment building has all electric heat/AC/water. Obviously wasn't a concern to my landlords.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
If they were discouraging electric heater it has failed as changes were made to the MB gas code in the last year or so to eliminate the use of existing combined chimney flue's by an existing water heater when it has to be replaced after a midrange furnace is disconnected. Its something to do with the draft flow if the liner is too big

I had my hot water tank go in the early spring and it was cheaper to put in an electric tank than reline the furnace flue for a new gas water heater tank or install a direct vent gas water heater tank.
I was in the same boat. This caught me by surprise as I have never heard of the change.

To OTA's earlier point, Manitoba Hydro's playbook has long been based on reducing domestic consumption so that the power can be exported out of Manitoba at higher rates. That said, it was never totally clear to me why more dams have been built in recent years including Keeyask if Manitoba already has more electrical generating capacity than it needs?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was in the same boat. This caught me by surprise as I have never heard of the change.

To OTA's earlier point, Manitoba Hydro's playbook has long been based on reducing domestic consumption so that the power can be exported out of Manitoba at higher rates. That said, it was never totally clear to me why more dams have been built in recent years including Keeyask if Manitoba already has more electrical generating capacity than it needs?
The excess is very temporary in the grand scheme of things. Even hopeful forecasts for MH put us at domestic demand using almost all of the generating capacity existing today including Keeyask by the end of the 2030's, and that didn't factor in electric vehicles nor years like 2021 with 30+ being the normal July temp. So realistically we can bump those estimates up a few years into the next 15 years.

Chances are quite high that we will be using decommissioned gas plants or building nuclear plants to meet demand or we will have to rapidly adjust to using far less power. It takes years to build infrastructure, which is why we have the dams a bit early. Better early than late, ask South Africa. Hard to say if further dams will be built but they also might be needed to sustain agriculture in the interlake.

It's not a crisis but in terms of our economy and basic needs (heat, AC) we need a government and agencies they are unduly influencing to have a plan for power because we don't have long to get that plan moving really. Wind, nuclear, maybe some solar, we need to figure out how we generate what we need.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan