HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Mira in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Renaissance? When was the SF skyline ever in decline?
Until the new plan with revised height limits for the TransBay District came out, the SF skyline suffered from a severe case of "tabletop-itis". Not much taller than around 600 ft was built for several decades. The city itself was always rescued from mediocrity by its natural setting and features, and by its architectural heritage from the 19th century plus a couple of iconic 20th century structures like the TransAmerica Building, but excessive planning and control did lead to a lot of building that was designed to avoid offending anyone.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 5:52 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
1989-2000 and 2008-2012.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 6:37 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Whatever you want to call it. This is a trans-formative period with lots of new towers and the skyline will change indefinitely after not changing much for a very long time it seems.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 4:54 AM
heavy user of walkability

what the heck... here was the former building on the site, while we wait for this to get going

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
what the heck... here was the former building on the site, while we wait for this to get going

Yeah, I work near there. The building was there one day and gone the next.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 6:54 PM

Does anyone else think this J Gang tower takes its inspiration from the old BofA tower? This one reminds me of a "twisty" BofA Tower and wish it was zoned for more height. Such a great design should be built taller IMO.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observatory View Post
Does anyone else think this J Gang tower takes its inspiration from the old BofA tower? This one reminds me of a "twisty" BofA Tower and wish it was zoned for more height. Such a great design should be built taller IMO.
it does look vaguely reminiscent, yes, agree.

in response to a question about timing of this project on socketsite today, there was this response, which is along the lines of expectations discussed here:

Quote:
Posted by Martin 6 hours ago
They are starting excavation in April, so next month, and expect to be finished by April 2019. Sales will begin in second half of 2018, if you want to plan for that. And it’s getting valet parking, as apparently based on surveys, it’s the most desired amenity these days.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
1989-2000 and 2008-2012.
You're close. In the late 1990s through 2000, during the dot-com boom, we had a number of significant buildings at least start construction such as the 4 Seasons, 101 Second St., the W Hotel, the apartment tower whose name escapes me across Mission from the St. Regis, the JP Morgan Chase Building aka 560 Mission St and a tower whose address I don't know on Sacramento accross from the Embarcadero Center.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observatory View Post
Not really. There are a number of twisted buildings it may owe more to - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_twisted_buildings - but I think it also has some relationship to Gang's Aqua in Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 9:12 PM

Quote:
1989-2000 and 2008-2012.
I don't really feel like 2008-2012 was a time of stagnation. Things slowed down due to the recession, but there were still towers being built, plus dozens more in the proposal/approval stage (compare it to the early/mid 90s, and it was an all-out construction boom).

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 9:49 PM

I wonder how this building will hold up over the years. Trendy designs tend to become dated quickly.

Last edited by ozone; Mar 14, 2017 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 10:55 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
You're close. In the late 1990s through 2000, during the dot-com boom, we had a number of significant buildings at least start construction such as the 4 Seasons, 101 Second St., the W Hotel, the apartment tower whose name escapes me across Mission from the St. Regis, the JP Morgan Chase Building aka 560 Mission St and a tower whose address I don't know on Sacramento accross from the Embarcadero Center.
The Paramount is across from the St. Regis. Not sure about the other tower you're referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
I don't really feel like 2008-2012 was a time of stagnation. Things slowed down due to the recession, but there were still towers being built, plus dozens more in the proposal/approval stage (compare it to the early/mid 90s, and it was an all-out construction boom).
IIRC, nothing was being built in this time period. One Rincon South, Infinity, and Millennium had just finished up. Towers may have been proposed, but delays in construction with One Rincon North and 201 Folsom are examples of the stagnation.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
The Paramount is across from the St. Regis. Not sure about the other tower you're referring to.
Yes, the Paramount is what I was thinking of.

This is the other one--not sure what it's called (view is from California St):

Google Streetview

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 7:20 AM

^ 150 Cal! Worked there for a year.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 7:31 AM

Quote:

Google Streetview
IIRC, that one replaced a building that had to be demolished because of damage in the 1989 earthquake. don't think I ever heard a name for it. (tho I used to pay attention to such things much less back then)

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 6:50 PM

Quote:
New Timing for Twisty Transbay Tower
March 21, 2017

While the Transbay District site for the twisty 400-foot-tall “Bay Tower” designed by Jeanne Gang to rise at 160 Folsom Street, on the northwest corner of Folsom and Spear, has been cleared and building permits issued, permits to start preparing the site for construction (excavation, shoring and pile driving) are on hold by the Bureau of Street Use and Mapping (think/thank the new Clementina Alley) but should soon be approved.

If all goes as currently expected, work should begin in earnest on the development of 160 Folsom within the next month. And if so, the Transbay Block 1 project . . . should be ready for occupancy in the first quarter of 2020 (not 2019) . . . .

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...bay-tower.html

Note the apparent new address: 160 Folsom, not 100 Folsom

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Exclusive: Chinese investor buys 50% stake in Tishman Speyer's 400-foot S.F. waterfront tower
Mar 22, 2017, 3:42pm PDT Updated Mar 22, 2017, 4:04pm PDT
Roland Li
Reporter, San Francisco Business Times

A Chinese developer has purchased a 50 percent stake in a 400-foot tower near San Francisco's waterfront that is close to breaking ground, said Jeffrey Hu, the company's broker.

Shanghai Longlife Business Group Co. Ltd. bought the stake in 160 Folsom St., an approved tower site two blocks from the Embarcadero, said Hu. Tishman Speyer, one of the Bay Area's largest developers, and another Chinese firm, Vanke, own the other 50 percent stake . . . .
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...399&j=77729241

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 6:29 AM

looks like some low-level new activity on the site. screen grab from the Park Tower webcam (lower right-hand corner):

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 6:47 AM

^^
Quote:
work should begin in earnest on the development of 160 Folsom within the next month.
http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...bay-tower.html

Maybe now.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
I think this (from the June comment above) still holds... so around March or April probably things start moving?
yep, right on schedule

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive