HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 9:22 AM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Well, I think Greater London has a government body doesn't it? It would act like a city itself, even though it is made up of cities? While Brussels is still independent cities. The two countries could also have different ways of defining urban areas. There is a similar difference between Canada and the US, which gives them a large number of municipalities, whereas Canada is more keen on amalgamation and would make large conurbations one unit instead of the 10-100 like they are in America.

It's the definition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Man, it's just like an Edmonton-Calgary duel!

Edmonton has more suburbs but Calgary still has more people!
Even Calgary and Edmonton are a good example of that. Calgary is based on a Unicity concept which means that once the city limits reach a hamlet, village, town, etc. the municipality loses it's municipal status and is annexed by the city no and, if, or buts about it. Edmonton on the other hand has a Metropolitan concept where municipalities that are swallowed by the city can still retain their status as a self-governing municipality. By Alberta Provincial Standards London would be a Unicity while Paris would be a metropolitan.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 9:00 AM

I think it would be fair to say that London and Paris are approximately the same size....about 10 to 11 million in their metro areas. By metro area I mean Ille de France for Paris and London and its green belt. I never get the impression that one has the edge over the other....although London does seem more sprawley (if that's a word) and Paris more dense and compact.There is never going to be a perfect comparison so you should all stop trying to fight about it.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 11:19 AM
visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post

I was interested in a confrontation with Milan sprawl and I scaled it by my self: that's the result

Here the original map

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 7:54 PM
Honored Member

Sorry for asking in this London & Paris issue but I would like to know the current situation in both cities according to their administrative limits.
I know Paris has several small cities in several departments with mayors but how is London ?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 9:39 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

The number for Paris is wrong Paris urban area has more than 10 million inhabitant according 2005 census.

A big part of London urban area is located in Greater London, the city is governed by the mayor of London and divised in boroughs (like arrondissements) London has two independant boroughs Westminster and the City of London.
London absorbed this suburbs in 1968 but Paris divised this suburbs in severale departments (Before 1962 Paris and inner suburbs was the department of Seine now divised in three departments)

Last edited by Minato Ku; Feb 15, 2007 at 9:48 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 5:26 PM

I see this central london/central paris arguament cropping up all the time, central london is made up of the city of london, where about 12,000 people live and the city of westminster, which is the west end. neither of which are residential areas of any sort as a house on the west end would cost +5,000,000 and a house in the city of london just doesnt exist. Im not sure what the set up for central paris is but it seems to be much more residential then london.

Also when you consider the wider populations of the two cities, London has a green belt which prevents urban sprawl. This meant that urban growth had to to take place outside of the green belt area and no longer comes under the london "urban area" even tho most of the people commute into london and do their shopping in london. if you look at the metro area and consider the hundreds of satellite towns and dormatory towns londons met populations is around 13 million.

ps. does paris have a green belt system?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 6:05 PM

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 11:02 AM
visitor

^^
Interesting this municipality size comparison

I thought Berlin Lander was bigger than Hamburg one

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 1:10 PM

edit

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 1:11 PM

^^Berlin is bigger than Hamburg and Madrid so this map is a fake

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 1:29 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Eh... you do realize that the maps (which I have every confidence are acurate) are of administrative borders and not Urban Area nor Metro-areas?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 1:59 PM
visitor

^^
Infact I was talkin about amministrative borders size in my previous post

I know, and I'm sure, Berlin Lander is 880 skm; but I thought Hamburg one was 600 skm or something... was I wrong?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 2:20 PM
architechno

Indeed, Berlin is in area larger than Hamburg:

The surface of the (city)state Berlin is 891.82 km² (1) with a population of 3.402.312 and a density of 3.815/km². The population of Berlins urban area is 3,675,000, but i don't know the surface area.
The surface of Berlin metropolitan area is 5.370 km² (2) with a population of 4.262.480.

The surface of the state of Hamburg is 755,264 km² (3) with a population of 1.750.194 and a density of 2317 Einwohner / km².

These are the metropolitan areas of Germany, number 1 on the map is Berlin metro and number 4 is Hamburg. The metropolitan area of Hamburg is much bigger, and has a population of 4.266.000. But most of that has a low density.

Last edited by 909; Feb 20, 2007 at 2:43 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 2:21 PM

Hmmm, I made the Berlin and Hamburg maps awhile ago but you are right. Berlin should be bigger.
These are all hand made so it is possible there might have been an error when I calculated Berlin. Or perhaps the base map I used had the wrong scale.
I'll look in to it.

However..., these maps (I've made hundreds of them, also urban area ones etc) are not "fake". What it is is one mistake out of 100s now discovered...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
^^
Infact I was talkin about amministrative borders size in my previous post

I know, and I'm sure, Berlin Lander is 880 skm; but I thought Hamburg one was 600 skm or something... was I wrong?
Indeed, according to Wikipedia, Berlin represents 892 km², whereas Hamburg represents 755 km².

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 5:19 PM
visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiRO View Post
Hmmm, I made the Berlin and Hamburg maps awhile ago but you are right. Berlin should be bigger.
These are all hand made so it is possible there might have been an error when I calculated Berlin. Or perhaps the base map I used had the wrong scale.
I'll look in to it.

However..., these maps (I've made hundreds of them, also urban area ones etc) are not "fake". What it is is one mistake out of 100s now discovered...
Did you make it Shiro?

Can you add, please, Rome which is an interesting 'case': municipality of 1285 skm and just 2.6 mio inhabitants

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 5:54 PM

That's a kick ass map, and I have been looking for a Rome map for a long time!

But without a scale on it it is very hard and the margin for error gets quite large. I still can do it, but there need to be two clear reference points in a straight line on it and another map with those same reference points and a scale.
So if you can find me a map with scale of Rome (and Milan, Turin, Naples and any other city you can think of...), it would be greatly appreciated!

Oh and I did make all those maps myself and I have lots more, so if anyone wants to see a specific city let me know (I posted all the European ones I currently have though, I do have a lot of European urban area maps).

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 5:58 PM

I corrected the Berlin map and I added Vienna which I had ready.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 8:17 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

^ if you can find the time and room I think Copenhagen would fit right in - it's pretty sprawly and have the same population as most of the cities already on themap

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 10:30 AM

Do you have a map? (with scale)

Believe me I've looked but couldn't find one.
CPH should be interesting with a "hole" in it for Frederiksberg, just like some American cities.

Los Angeles

Houston

Detroit

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe