HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 7:16 PM
Denver is the M/W Father!

Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
ok.. this is getting ridiculous.. its like we're all just liars or something

your map shows three dots along vista avenue.. and there's not one single LDS church, office, or anything of the sort along that ENTIRE street....
the temple expansion was in 1987...
There's a lot of LDS people than most areas of the country here nobody is saying there isn't.. but they're not the majority as people seem to think nothing to compare boise to any city in utah..no way.... thats all we're saying... jesus christ....
I've heard people in utah say that there's more mormons in boise than slc.. and various other myths.. and it's not true..
but a town could be 5 percent mormon and if you ask mormons they'll swear they're the majority.. lol.. its their nature because they're all about converting people...

this has gotten so freakin retarded I can't even believe it...

half of those dots and addresses are HOUSES... check out the streetview option in google maps and see for yourself... perhaps houses of bishops? thats my only guess.. but each of those dots is not a damn church building..lol

There is historical sentiments towards the LDS in idaho.. where the state was concerned about mormon immigration into the eastern part of the state.... to this day there is ill feelings in boise and up north towards the heavily LDS eastern idaho...its blatantly apparent in the state legislature as well...I think much of it stems from being part of the oregon territory before being a state and the mormon settlers being sent up here were polygamists.. and people didn't like it... even going so far as outlawing mormons to vote...

http://www.newwest.net/index.php/cit...ism/C108/L108/

I guess if you ask mormons they run the show in seattle too...

I kinda wish they would all just stay in UTAH!!! And GTFO of my State... Suposedly Denver has a Moron Temple here too? But I have yet to see it? I think it's in West Lakewood or something? But the LDS have a VERY small presence here in Colorado and for me personally I like that!

So back to the topic of the thread!

6-0 BRONCOS BABY!!!

There is no such thing as remaining constant.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 7:22 PM

Bigotry is alive and well isn't it, BLM?! Do the mormons talk to you or act bigoted towards you, like you just showed towards them in that statement you just made?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 7:28 PM
Always running Late

blm...
I don't care how many mormons live here it would be like caring about how many jews live here as far as I'm concerned. I only posted that to illustrate how misguided it is to claim that mormons are just as prevelent in boise as any other city in utah which is what many people in utah think. I have family in utah and boise is used as the scape goat non-utah city for them to illustrate how non-mormon they are becoming and while it is very much a reality that utah is becoming less mormon.. the prevelence of LDS is boise is grossly exaggerated on their part in making their point...which is why I pointed out the fact that each dot doesn't mean shit.. could be bishop's houses or even missionary apartments.... That's all I was trying to call out.

carry on...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 7:51 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
I honestly think Boise St is pretty good, but not elite. The uphill battle that BSU faces right now is their remaining schedule and how weak it is.

Coming off the Tulsa win and having Oregon the beginning of the year, BSU's strength of schedule is as strong as it will get. The remaining teams are going to moderate that which will hurt them in the computer rankings and subsequently, the overall BCS rankings.
that's exactly it... what constitutes elite? I mean cmon if we want to go down that road nobody in the wac or mwc would be considered elite which is why none of us are in the BCS.
The tit for tat is merely personal opinions towards hometown teams. The point of any team thats non BCS being ranked highly is that it busts the BCS elite mentality
Does Boise state deserve to be ranked #4? that's questionable, but considering the fact that they are means that someone/computer calculations believe them to be. And I don't doubt it has a lot to do with beating oregon and oregon beating everyone in the Pac-10. Do you criticize the fact that they are based on your opinion? and is that opinion rooted in the fact that they actually are having a good season and utah/BYU aren't in the picture this season?
I don't remember boise state fans tearing down Utah last year.. Probably because they took solice in knowing that they can compete and BEAT MWC leaders..
The MWC would be better off having Boise State, and Boise State would be better off in MWC, but the two don't certainly need each other to bust the BCS.. Only thing is the threat of Boise State stepping on the toes of MWC ritual leaders each year and giving them one more tough team to have to play.
So lets not sit here and tear down boise state's schedule when good teams refuse to play them, and the MWC refuses to want them...
That just reeks of chicken-shit as far as I'm concerned.. but that's rivalry speaking of course.. hehehe..
season's still early.... anything can happen...
here's to a good season for all NON-BCS teams

oh.. and BOI - SEE - STATE!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 8:20 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm3034L!fe View Post
I kinda wish they would all just stay in UTAH!!! And GTFO of my State...

Wow. Bitter much?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 8:46 PM
BANNED

Football time out!

and when BLM says " I kinda wish they would all just stay in UTAH!!! And GTFO of my State... " he means Denver. So feel free to move to Pueblo... Oh and bring any companies that want to move with you!

Ok back to football!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 9:40 PM

anti-BCS political action group kicked off its drive on Monday to eliminate the BCS.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...BCS-group.html

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 11:12 PM
Wen Lambo

Quote:
that's exactly it... what constitutes elite? I mean cmon if we want to go down that road nobody in the wac or mwc would be considered elite which is why none of us are in the BCS.
The tit for tat is merely personal opinions towards hometown teams. The point of any team thats non BCS being ranked highly is that it busts the BCS elite mentality
Does Boise state deserve to be ranked #4? that's questionable, but considering the fact that they are means that someone/computer calculations believe them to be. And I don't doubt it has a lot to do with beating oregon and oregon beating everyone in the Pac-10. Do you criticize the fact that they are based on your opinion? and is that opinion rooted in the fact that they actually are having a good season and utah/BYU aren't in the picture this season?
I don't remember boise state fans tearing down Utah last year.. Probably because they took solice in knowing that they can compete and BEAT MWC leaders..
The MWC would be better off having Boise State, and Boise State would be better off in MWC, but the two don't certainly need each other to bust the BCS.. Only thing is the threat of Boise State stepping on the toes of MWC ritual leaders each year and giving them one more tough team to have to play.
So lets not sit here and tear down boise state's schedule when good teams refuse to play them, and the MWC refuses to want them...
That just reeks of chicken-shit as far as I'm concerned.. but that's rivalry speaking of course.. hehehe..

Boiseguy, I think you misinterpreted my post. It wasn't to tear BSU down, it was more matter of fact.

I do look forward to BYU having BSU on their schedule in the upcoming seasons. I would like it to become a rivalry.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 11:19 PM
Wen Lambo

Quote:
I kinda wish they would all just stay in UTAH!!! And GTFO of my State... Suposedly Denver has a Moron Temple here too? But I have yet to see it? I think it's in West Lakewood or something? But the LDS have a VERY small presence here in Colorado and for me personally I like that!

So back to the topic of the thread!

6-0 BRONCOS BABY!!!
BLM, your level of intelligence (or lack thereof) never ceases to amaze me... I'm sure the Mormon populace in Colorado would hope that no one as ignorant as you would ever have to be in their presence.

24 LDS stakes in the Denver metro represents over 100K members in your backyard my friend... and growing rapidly.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 11:59 PM
Denver is the M/W Father!

Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Bigotry is alive and well isn't it, BLM?! Do the mormons talk to you or act bigoted towards you, like you just showed towards them in that statement you just made?
^ 100K for a metro of 3M? Fair enough I personaly would like to see that DECREASE! I'm sure with 50% Of Utah's 2.4M population you're happy as a clam with the presence of the LSD Church. Good for you, Enjoy it.

I don't go around using the Lords name for false prohecies either! Personaly I have a hard time with most all "Organized Religions" However when a group uses the Lords name directly and ties it into thier name. That's #1 Blasphamy in my BOOK!

Besides how did this thread get changed from a sports topic to talking about the Mormon Religion? I guess as long as Utah is involved in the mountain west thread it will happen from time to time. Whatever...

Can we stay on topic?

Next up for The Broncos another real test IMO Baltimore Ravens even though their record doesn't reflect the talent IMO They are a very solid and hard to beat team. But it seems that with every game the Broncos get better so I wouldn't be suprised if the Broncos go 7-0 after Nov 1st...

There is no such thing as remaining constant.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 12:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Next up for The Broncos another real test IMO Baltimore Ravens even though their record doesn't reflect the talent IMO They are a very solid and hard to beat team. But it seems that with every game the Broncos get better so I wouldn't be suprised if the Broncos go 7-0 after Nov 1st...
Especially how they are playing the second half, they have only allowed 3 points to be scored against them all season so far.

If the rest of the AFC west keeps losing how soon could Denver take the divison? Anyone know....

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:

One of the reasons I follow college football to any degree is the huge underdog quotient. It is really obnoxious how the "best" team looks down on the next "best" team and so on and so forth. The lower team whines about the mighty attitude of the teams that are perceived to be above them but then turns around and does the same thing to the team below them. The drama is sickeningly awesome. When there isn't a BSU or UTAH kicking the living crap out of an Oklahoma or Alabama, it just wont be as much fun. I don't really enjoy cheering for a perrenial winner. -What to do with all that "righteous" anger. Go Detriot Lions!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 3:00 AM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
Boiseguy, I think you misinterpreted my post. It wasn't to tear BSU down, it was more matter of fact.

I do look forward to BYU having BSU on their schedule in the upcoming seasons. I would like it to become a rivalry.
sorry.. I was just responding to your elite comment.. and the rest was more in general not towards you specifically

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 3:11 AM

omfg.....
What a joke this thread has become.
Get your damn panties out of a twist.
People get so butt hurt, it's quite embarassing.

Anyways..
Im very suprised at how well the Donkeys are doing this year. I thought for sure the Chargers were going to win last night. Kudos to Denver, GO STEELERS

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 3:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
^ 100K for a metro of 3M? Fair enough I personaly would like to see that DECREASE! I'm sure with 50% Of Utah's 2.4M population you're happy as a clam with the presence of the LSD Church. Good for you, Enjoy it.

I don't go around using the Lords name for false prohecies either! Personaly I have a hard time with most all "Organized Religions" However when a group uses the Lords name directly and ties it into thier name. That's #1 Blasphamy in my BOOK!

Besides how did this thread get changed from a sports topic to talking about the Mormon Religion? I guess as long as Utah is involved in the mountain west thread it will happen from time to time. Whatever...

Can we stay on topic?

So 100,000 people plus the 100,000 people Pueblo has would make us 200,000 people and only about 350,000 people less then Denver. Where is the red carpet?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 5:27 AM

Quote:

blm...
I don't care how many mormons live here it would be like caring about how many jews live here as far as I'm concerned. I only posted that to illustrate how misguided it is to claim that mormons are just as prevelent in boise as any other city in utah which is what many people in utah think. I have family in utah and boise is used as the scape goat non-utah city for them to illustrate how non-mormon they are becoming and while it is very much a reality that utah is becoming less mormon.. the prevelence of LDS is boise is grossly exaggerated on their part in making their point...which is why I pointed out the fact that each dot doesn't mean shit.. could be bishop's houses or even missionary apartments.... That's all I was trying to call out.

carry on...
I totally agree that mormons are not as prevalent in Boise as ANY Utah city. That should be well known when comparing almost anywhere to a Utah city. I do however feel it goes both ways as non-mormons tend to try and understate the amount of LDS population and influence in their city (except in California, where apparently they believe the LDS church has major influence with less than half of one percent of the population). Also, I noted the dots are either LDS churches or related services. Related services may include missionary headquarters, family history stuff, bishop warehouses and welfare areas, etc. Though I obviously didn't check every single dot to verify, though Google is usually pretty reliable.

Anyway, I'd love to get back on topic, but do you think I really want to talk about Utah State football? C'mon. Even worse, I'm from Maryland and grew up a Redskin fan.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 5:37 AM

Quote:

Can we stay on topic?

-It's more like 60 percent (much lower if asking someone who doesn't like mormons).

-The Denver metro is about 2.5 million.

-I agree about Baltimore. Home team wins that one.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 6:17 AM
Closed account

Ignore this post.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 3:45 PM
BANNED

My dream season would be for Denver and Minneapolis to go un defeated and make it to the super bowl then Denver win in a close game by holding Minneapolis to 0 points in the second half.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
I totally agree that mormons are not as prevalent in Boise as ANY Utah city. That should be well known when comparing almost anywhere to a Utah city. I do however feel it goes both ways as non-mormons tend to try and understate the amount of LDS population and influence in their city (except in California, where apparently they believe the LDS church has major influence with less than half of one percent of the population). Also, I noted the dots are either LDS churches or related services. Related services may include missionary headquarters, family history stuff, bishop warehouses and welfare areas, etc. Though I obviously didn't check every single dot to verify, though Google is usually pretty reliable.

Anyway, I'd love to get back on topic, but do you think I really want to talk about Utah State football? C'mon. Even worse, I'm from Maryland and grew up a Redskin fan.

First I've got to say that even for someone who is generally skeptical of organized religion, a lot of the comments on this forum have been pretty dick (not the one I quoted). Not every LDS person is an ecclesiastical authority who opposes gay marriage and immigration. There are ordinary folks, teachers and grocery store clerks, and some Mormons - (GASP!) - aren't even that religious! I grew up with a lot of LDS friends, and about half of them either drank, voted Democratic, smoked cigarettes, or got divorced and remarried, which are all big NOs in that church, either officially or culturally. I'm thinking, specifically, about the Seattle tirade above which lamented the presence of Mormons in a community. Treating Mormons like they have a contagious disease based on religious identity (which obviously means something different person to person) is one step away from ethnic hatred.

If someone had made the same comments about Muslims or Jewish people, I'd be all over that shit like a Caribbean hurricane.

Anyway, I think that Idaho has a pretty heavy Mormon population, but Boise might be a place where other groups dilute the pool. From what I recall of Boise after visiting as a teenager, it is definitely culturally consistent with the rest of Idaho, but also has a significant buy-organic-drive-Subaru-use-COEXIST-bumperstickers, slightly more Cosmopolitan component where a third or so of the residents don't really mesh with Mormons. These kinds of people (who are all over the place in Boulder, and as a Unitarian Universalist vegetarian I'm probably one of them) seem to gravitate to large towns or mid-sized cities, and Boise should be a magnet for the very fact that it is the only city of its type in a long distance.

Salt Lake City sort of has this folk-urban component I saw in Boise, but most other towns in Utah are too new and fast-growing to appeal to the more progressive cultural populations, who, in my experience, turn their noses up at "suburban" style living and seek out towns with "character" and roots. Mormons, on the other hand, seem to have a cultural preference for suburban-style "American Dream" living, and fit right in.

And, oh yeah, how about them Broncos?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West